> Canada, Who we are.
Camac
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

As quite a few of you know about the insulting Fox News show with Greg Gutfeld I thought it would be appropriate to open a New Thread to tell all who are intersested about my country, Canada, you know the Northern part of the North American Continent. The part where we all live in Igloos and ski all year round, oh yeah and keep Polar Bears for pets. This is not going to be a thread that turns into a contest of whose is better or what system is better just one where anyone can ask questions or make comments about your Neighbours just up the road from you. I will start it off with a small quiz;

1. What is the Capital of Canada?

2. What does the name Canada mean?

3. How many Provinces and Territories make up Canada?

4. What system of Government do we have?

5. What is our Head of Government called?

6. What is Tim Horton's?

Camac.

InRi 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Arbing, Upper Austria

male

Hi Camac,

I'll try to answer:

1) Ottawa (that's simple)
2) The name Canada traced back to the term for "village or settlement - kanata" in the language of the St. Lorenz Iroquois - (I learned this in the school almost 30 years ago...)
3) 13 (I'm not really sure...)
4) Formal is Canada a constitutional monarchy within the Commonwealth of Nations with the Queen Elisabeth II. as the head of state - represented by a governor-general. Canada is also a parliamentary democracy, organized as a confederation.
5) The Prime-Minister (since 2006 Stephen Harper)
6) Tim Horton's is the name of a Canadian Fastfood restaurant chain.

Okay, okay the last question I googled... wink.gif

May I give the questions back? (about Austria)
6. What is a "Manner"? (I don't mean the English word "manner")

Best regards

Ingo

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Inri;

You got them all right. About Tim Hortons it is more a coffee and donut shop but fast food is close enough. Per Capita Canadians drink more coffee than anyone else. thumbs_up.gif

Austria: "Manner" is a confectionary company that makes sweets . (I had to look it up on Wikipedia).

(Weise ist ein Unternehmen das Su{ss}waren Su{ss}igkeiten)

Camac.

Harlot 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Camac, I see I would fit right in with you Canadians I wub.gif coffee,I can drink pots of all be myself and still go to bed at night with no problem. So if you could do something about the snow (I have that here ) Polar Bears and the Igloos I might move there and drink more coffee with poeple who enjoy it as much as I do!

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Harlot;

The snow I can't to anything about, sorry. As to loving coffee Canadians drink so much coffee we even invented a term for one type; "DOUBLEDOUBLE" two creams, two sugars. It is even recognized in the Dictionary. You have Starbucks we have Tom Horton's named after the NHL star that died in a car crash (of his own causing).

Camac.

valpal59 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 12:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Thank you for starting this thread, Camac. I confess that I do not know very much about Canada, but would like to learn. Hubby and I have always wanted to do a fishing trip.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

valpal59;

I hope that my fellow Canadians on the Forum will get involved and between us we can tell you all about the country we call Home and Love.

Camac.

PS: I haven't fished in years but I'm sure some of the others have and we do have some damn fine fishing.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Well of course your fellow Canadians members will get involved Camac ...what do you think?

And yes Canada is the best country of the world to live in for sure.
Though I cannot speak much about all the Quebecers I'm sure that most of them except maybe those "separatists" fanatics unsure.gif , would say that it is the greatest place.

Freedom and different cultures living all together makes it even more appealing.

Though I haven't been to the west provinces yet I can tell you a bit about here in Quebec and later on the fantastic and my favorite place the Maritimes in particular the Province of Nova Scotia. Been in Ontario as well as there is a few beautiful places around the Great Lakes and of course the diversity of Toronto.

If one is interested in visiting one of the nicest city of the Province of Quebec...it's the capital of course...Quebec City...though still relatively young it reveals a lot about the history of the French colonials and the architecture still inspire artist from around the world.

Here is a bit of Quebec City history and it's humble beginnings and what it has become.

Enjoy!

LOA smile.gif

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Thanks for the link Lady Of Avalon. I will check it out more closely tomorrow.

Val
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
sisterknight 
Posted: 31-Mar-2009, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

well meself living on the island of montreal in the province of quebec...yes the parliment of quebec was here first before the great fire that destroyed them...montreal is considered to be one of the most european flavoured cities in quebec, we have more types of festivals and churches than most any other province...especially churches!!!as for fishing...well let's just say that the best place to fish is in new brunswick...which is one province further to the east....the people in new brunswick are well there are so many different words that come to mind, generous, kind, friendly, helpful, giving....laid back, same as those in pei...that would be prince edward island, another island, but they have beautiful red earth and beaches.....oh i could go on....needless to say i too love the maritimes.... laugh.gif

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 01-Apr-2009, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

LOA;SisterKnight;

This is great. Thanks for joining in. I hope I can count on the both of you to provide Historical and Culture information on "La Belle Provence" (Quebec) Now if we can get oldraven involved that would cover the Eastern part of Our Land. Maybe Leelee will join us from the West and Piobmohrpiper can pitch in with me about Ontario. I live in the Town of Oakville (which is a misnomer as their are 160,000 people here) about 40km west of Toronto ( Algonquin for The Meeting Place" Canadas' largest and most diverse city, population 3 1/2 million. In fact Toronto is the most Multicultural City in North America. You name the country and somebody from there lives here. There is so much we all can tell about Our Home and its History from the Vikings to John Cabot, Jaques Cartier, Champlain, de Lesalle, Raddison, Acadia, New France, Upper and Lower Canada, Riel, Papineau, John A.MacDonald, and Laurier. The stories of Quebec and the Maritimes could take a year to tell. Our History is rich and diverse and not so peaceful as most would think. Let's have some fun and maybe learn something from each other or for that matter anyone who wishes to get involved.

Camac cheers.gif pepsi.gif

InRi 
Posted: 01-Apr-2009, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

male

Hi Camac and all involved friends
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm sure, I'll learn a lot about your beautiful country - by firsthand accounts. wink.gif

I have to admit that I am railroad enthusiast too and of course I read something about the Canadian railways. Unfortunately is the reading material about it rather rare here in Europe... Some time ago I watched a half-hour-reportage about a voyage by "The Canadian" across Canada (I think it is THE train there in Canada) - a voyage in it must be awesome! I saw in a (railroad-)periodical fascinating photos of modern Canadian trains. I can imagine that the railways in the past (and today?) played a major role in development of your country. If it is possible for you I want to know more about it. If you have advices to get something to read (or watch) I were very thankful.

I'm looking forward to the Canada-thread.

Best regards

Ingo
oldraven 
Posted: 01-Apr-2009, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I'm pleased to chime in, Camac. Being from Nova Scotia, and having lived in Alberta for six years, I've had a chance to experience some of the diversity of this nation. Though, not much of that cultural diversity was here at home. We're a fairly well defined group, between the UK descendants and the Acadians, (how ironic is it that my UK English spell checker doesn't recognise the word 'Acadians'?), so most exposure to other cultures and people happened after I moved to Dartmouth NS, then far more in Edmonton. I can literally count the number of kids I went to school with (through to the end of College) that weren't of Western European decent on one hand. It was a major culture shock getting out there.

I've been to every province but Newfoundland, and plan on going there for the Targa race next summer. http://www.targanewfoundland.com/ (Check it out! It's quickly becoming a world class event, with racers from every corner.) My stints in Saskatchewan and Manitoba consist of driving non-stop. Saskatchewan for no more than 12 hours both times. I haven't seen any of the Territories, and I don't suspect I ever will. It just seems to be a long way to go to see tundra.

I'm a Large Three-n-One (with milk) kind of guy, myself. Three milk, one sugar. I used to be an Extra Large Four-n-One (with cream) drinker, but realised that I was going to kill myself that way, or turn into butter. My father in law drinks a medium Double-Double with milk, and I don't know how he can stand the syrup. As you can see, any group of Canadians could spark up a conversation about how they like their Timmies, and it could easily go on for half an hour.

Fishing! I'm not a fisherman. I've caught two fish in my entire life. One lake trout when I was about eleven, and one more when I first moved back home from Alberta, on a Fishing Derby with my Dad and Cousin. Of course, I don't count Perch. I don't know if anyone outside of Newfoundland eats Perch.

Harlot, if you don't like snow, may I suggest the Vancouver Delta or Island? They get as much snow as Washington State, which isn't much on the coast. Though I hope you like rain, because they get more precipitation than the rest of us even without the wet stuff. Less of a winter, and more of a rainy season.

And Camac, you're so right. Our history is quite bloody, and I think the necessity of having to get along with each other (English/French) has everything to do with our more modern day peaceful national personality. Laid back Nova Scotia has seen nothing but battle after battle since Britain first began contesting for the East Coast. The region of Acadia, which consisted Eastern Quebec or the Gaspe, New England (all the way to Philadelphia), New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia, has seen as much or more fighting than any other region of Canada, and Nova Scotia in particular (the Acadian Peninsula) was passed back and forth numerous times before Britain finally expelled the Acadians. Thankfully, many came back. It was an unnecessary move, in my opinion, since most Acadians did not see themselves as being part of France at the time, but simply Acadians. Especially when the expulsion happened, since most were used to switching allegiances every so many years.

People often think of upper and lower Canada (Ontario/Quebec) or Riel's Rebellion in the Postage Stamp Province, Manitoba, as the most bloody times in the formation of our country, but it was here where the fighting hardly ever stopped. Even without the battles between Britain and France, the fighting raged between New Brunswick/Nova Scotia and New England and all the way down the Eastern Seaboard (after the Revolution). If you ever wondered why Holywood Pirates always have a loose kind of Irish Accent, look no farther. wink.gif That would be from the Privateer days, where Maritime fishermen took to the seas with their letters of Mark from the King, to loot US ships and raid the coast, and they returned the favour here almost as much. It also played a large part in the French Indian war.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
InRi 
Posted: 01-Apr-2009, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Saxons

ZodiacVine

male

Sorry, Camac I forgot something...

Principially you are right. Manner is a company that makes sweets (predominant wafers - filled with different creams as hazelnut, chocolate but also lemon cream) but you say here in Austria usually a "Manner" if you mean a filled wafer generally. (By the way, this factory isn't far from here - only 6 km from my home - in Perg)

Sorry - off topic -

Ingo
Camac
Posted: 01-Apr-2009, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

oldraven & Inri;

Inri:- I don't think there would be a Canada as we know it if not for the Railroad. When British Columbia joined Confereration it was with the guarantee that it would be linked to the East by rail. Thus was born The Canadian Pacific Railway running from Montreal to Vancouver. Then came the Canadian National Railway which ran from Montreal to Vancouver also but by a more northern route. C.P.R. was a private company while C.N.R. was the National Railway , a Crown Corporation. Both these lines to-day carry only freight no passengers.That is left to another Crown Corporation called ViaRail an amalgamation of the two old passenger services. If you want to find out about the building of the Railroad in Canada I would suggest you read "The National Dream and The Last Spike by Pierre Burton.

oldraven:- Welcome my friend, you have me beat on provinces as I have not been in Nfld/Lab. or B.C but I have been in the Territories, Yukon and the eastern part of the NWT.before it became Nunavut. My Dad worked on all three Radar lines back in the 50s' and 60's and I went to visit him. Where I was was nothing but Tundra the only settlements were the construction camps. I loved it. The history of the Maritimes is mostly forgotten in the rest of Canada with the exception of the Acadian Expulsion. That though if I remember correctly was most caused by pressure from the New Englanders. Our loss was Americas gain with the Cajuns.
As I have mentioned before I think we can have fun with this and learn from each other and maybe give our American Cousins some insight as to why we are who we are.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]