englishmix 
Posted: 22-Apr-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Hear ye, hear ye, mighty kingdoms of medievalness,

Lord Englishmix and Lord Taliesin have agreed to a small military skirmish which may happen in this season. It will be a noble contest of about 200 attacking units to test & help strengthen each others defenses. Yes, a kindness of mutual advantage between us two alone.

This announcement is made so that no confusion exists among other clan members or kingdoms. Each of us will make only one offensive attack on the others defenses. More than one attack or an attack of more than 200 units will be considered treachery.

This is the start of an unusual but I beleive prosperous friendship. As Clan DARK has no interest in hostility with Clan MNG, I pledge that should treachery be confirmed against me, I will submit to punishment by my own Clan members as well. I expect no treachery from Lord Taliesman.

Agreeable terms will be clarified with Lord Taliesman before military activities begin. Each of us can report the results to our own clans for verification. So let the game be afoot!

Lord Englishmix
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog                
Taliesin 
Posted: 22-Apr-2009, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

The terms as specified in this post with additional unit limits as designated in your e-mail are perfectly agreeable to me. Our troop exercises will provide us with valuable military data, and I look forward to it!

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog View My Photographs               
englishmix 
Posted: 22-Apr-2009, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Good Lord Taliesin,

I have entrusted my noble Duke Sweeney to lead the contigency to your kingdom. They have begun their march, 200 units in all according to terms. They may be small but I pray you find them fierce and among the best of our kingdom.

May they deliver a bloody blow to your defenses that you may learn much. After that, I will await your skirmish against Kilkerran.

Best regards,
Lord Englishmix
Taliesin 
Posted: 22-Apr-2009, 08:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I have named Mormaer Cai of Edinburgh to lead my armies against you, and am determining the composition of the force I shall send.

I await the arrival of your force, and have prepared quite the welcome for them.
McRoach 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

>>*<<
Group Icon

Group: Fellowship of the Ring
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
816,708 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

Well, Game on then! May your troops gain the experience needed whilst your kingdoms gain strength and wisdom from the skirmishes to come.

thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
"May those who love us, love us. And those who hate us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."
-Celtic Proverbs

Grateful am I to have a sword in which to defend myself at all times, blessed am I for the days I need not use it.
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Taliesin 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

My Lord Englishmix,

Your armies have been in my lands for a few years now, enjoying the prosperity of the lands of we Buchanans! Were I you, I might be a wee bit concerned that they might never return. After all, they have been making themselves right at home, drinking our ale, eating our food, and I have even heard of cases of intermarriage....

There is always the story of Glen Coe to hearten you, my Lord Englishmix, where the Campbells shared hearth and home with the MacDonalds, but when the order came for the slaughter, they obeyed.

Perhaps, though, the Kilkerrans in our midst would simply pretend there had been a communications error in their partaking of the joys of Buchanan? smile.gif
Taliesin 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Ah, it appears I spoke too soon, for your forces did attack!

Prepare yourselves, forces of Kilkerran!
englishmix 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

For those interested, the results of my attack against Lord Taliesin are reported herein, per the terms mentioned above.

And yes, Lord Taliesin, since the odds were overwhelming I had ordered General Duke Humphey to enjoy a free meal and some evenings of entertainment with the lassies of Buchanan before the attack!

Below I first show what the army consisted of and then the battle results. The results are ANNIHILATION! Congratulations. I wonder if it was my knights responsible for the 2 gold captures and the 3 Swordsman units destroyed. It must have been my trebuchets responsible for destroying your Guard towers.

If I had to do it again against overwhelming odds, I think I would chose 85% archers and 15% calvary, infantry or trebuchets to guard the archers - that way maybe some units would have escaped. Maybe you want to recall your troops and rethink the attack strategy.

Here is something interesting: My army was annihilated but my General survives, yet it reports that he hasn't even fought a battle! And there is no negative attack or defense bonus posted.

I am interested in what defense bonus adjustment your commander Myrddin Emrys army received for the victory?

Duke Sweeney’s army of Kilkerran – 200 units

Longbowmen 50
Cavalry 82
Knights 26
Swordsmen 25
Slavers 2
Trebuchet 10
Battering ram 5

23-Apr-2009 10:52am
We have attacked the kingdom at 1:3:2. The enemy have managed to fortify their position. The enemy forces were led by "Myrddin Emrys".
• Our Trebuchet destroyed 3 enemy Guard Tower.
• The enemy Guard Tower annihilated our Swordsmen.
• The enemy Guard Tower annihilated our Slavers.
• Our Longbowmen killed 3 enemy Swordsmen.
• The enemy Pikemen annihilated our Knights.
• The enemy Pikemen annihilated our Cavalry.
• The enemy Cavalry annihilated our Longbowmen.
• The enemy Cavalry annihilated our Trebuchet.
• The enemy Swordsmen annihilated our Battering ram.
Our army has been vanquished.Our troops have raided 2 Gold from the defenders kingdom.

Regards,
Lord Englishmix
englishmix 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Congratulations Lord Taliesin,

It looks like you bested me - even though both our attacking armies were annihilated, right? Please tell me that none of your troops returned!

How did you manage to secure a hill overlooking the battlefield?!

My results show that:
Kilkerran attack destroyed 3 guard tower, 3 swordsman units and gained 2 gold.
Buchanan attack destroyed 4 guard tower and 7 swordsman units.

Did you capture any gold?

My defending General Duke Howarth received a 5% Defense bonus, so I thank ye for this opportunity. It is interesting that I had two armies at home: the "home army" and "army 1", and it was "army 1" (Duke howarth) which defended and received the bonus.

Please share your results to when you have the opportunity.

Lord Englishmix of Kilkerran
Newstead Abbey, Scotland
MacDonnchaidh 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Stoughton, MA

male

Here is something interesting: My army was annihilated but my General survives, yet it reports that he hasn't even fought a battle! And there is no negative attack or defense bonus posted.

There are no negative bonuses, but if he had some bonuses to start with (i.e. my general had 60% attack) then when the army is annihilated he loses all bonuses and records of battles, he retains his name but a great many victories of the past would become tarnished.

--------------------
Glory is the Reward of Valour ~ Robertson Motto

For Faith, For Service to Humanity ~ Knights Hospitaller Motto

Am fear is tiuighe clairgeann se ‘s lugha eanchainn.
He who has the thickest skull has the smallest brain.
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,217 Gold!

My Lord Englishmix, there appears to be a glitch in the system somewhere. Your Home Army general should have received the bonus. I know of one other player who has had the same thing happen, but in all other cases of which I'm aware, the home general did get the bonus.

The victorius general will receive a 5% bonus, the defeated general receives nothing (unless you count his life). A defeat does not result in negative bonus points. In my experience, the defeated general does not lose his bonus points. Perhaps this is another glitch with two people experiencing two different results. There is of course a limit to bonuses. They are capped at 100&. Normally, the home general collects defensive bonuses and the generals of armies 1, 2 and 3 collect offensive bonuses. If a commanding general has a 100% bonus and the opposing general has none, the advantage goes to the general with a bonus at a rate approximately 2 to 1.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
MacDonnchaidh 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Stoughton, MA

male

A defeat does not result in negative bonus points. In my experience, the defeated general does not lose his bonus points. Perhaps this is another glitch with two people experiencing two different results.

A normal defeat of course doesn't take away your bonuses, it's when your army is completely annihilated, as in no more troops of any kind, and it will say in the attack/defense report "Our army was annihilated" when that happens your general loses ALL bonuses, attack and defense. I realize you've probably never experienced complete annihilation you big ol' king you tongue.gif but us little folks have lost whole armies smile.gif .
PMEmail Poster               
Taliesin 
Posted: 23-Apr-2009, 11:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Now THAT was enjoyable. smile.gif

The Emrys did indeed receive a 5% bonus to successfully defending Buchanan. wink.gif

In my defense, I received the following notification:

QUOTE (Battle Results)
We were attacked by an army from the kingdom 1:8:3. Your forces have managed to erect fortifications. The enemy forces were led by "Duke Sweeney".

Was the erection of the fortifications a standard message, or was that something that would indicate a defensive bonus, possibly causing my fewer casualties?

Here are the battle logs:

QUOTE (Killkerran Forces Attack @ Buchanan Defends)
We were attacked by an army from the kingdom 1:8:3. Your forces have managed to erect fortifications. The enemy forces were led by "Duke Sweeney".

* We lost 3 Guard Tower to the enemy Trebuchet.
* Our Guard Tower annihilated the attacking Swordsmen.
* Our Guard Tower annihilated the attacking Slavers.
* We lost 3 Swordsmen to the enemy Longbowmen.
* Our Pikemen annihilated the attacking Knights.
* Our Pikemen annihilated the attacking Cavalry.
* Our Cavalry annihilated the attacking Longbowmen.
* Our Cavalry annihilated the attacking Trebuchet.
* Our Swordsmen annihilated the attacking Battering ram.

Our general Myrddin Emrys has gained experience (5% defense). The enemies army has left our kingdom.

According to my reports, my Towers were destroyed by your Trebuchets, and my Swordsmen were killed by your Longbowmen. The addition of Longbowmen on your side would likely have resulted in more Swordsmen casualties. Regardless, I think it would have been hard for EITHER of us to walk away with attacking troops from this skirmish. wink.gif

QUOTE (Buchanan Attacks @ Kilkerran Defends)

We have attacked the kingdom at 1:8:3. Your army managed to secure a hill overlooking the battlefield. The enemy forces were led by "Duke Howarth".

* Our Trebuchet destroyed 4 enemy Guard Tower.
* The enemy Guard Tower annihilated our Swordsmen.
* The enemy Guard Tower annihilated our Pikemen.
* The enemy Guard Tower annihilated our Slavers.
* Our Longbowmen killed 7 enemy Swordsmen.
* The enemy Pikemen annihilated our Cavalry.
* The enemy Cavalry annihilated our Longbowmen.
* The enemy Cavalry annihilated our Trebuchet.
* The enemy Swordsmen annihilated our Battering ram.

Our army has been vanquished.Our troops have raided 6 Gold from the defenders kingdom.

The good Mormaer Cai, brother of Duke Artos is a good-natured man, and often enjoys strolling the hilltops prior to a battle. (In looking at the Help files for attacking, it looks as though there's a random chance of gaining some sort of advantage for either the attacker or defender for a battle.)

We nabbed 6 gold from the treasury, but as I did not commit any knights, it was not knights that raid the treasury well in my case. smile.gif

Myrddin Emrys is my Home Defense Army general, and it was the immortal Emrys who received the bonus and did the defending.

My losses were indeed complete, good sir, and I can say that the armies of Kilkerran defend their home as assiduously as the fighting men of Buchanan do.

My attacking troop levels for this exercise:

QUOTE (Buchanan 3rd Army Levels @ 200 units)

Longbowmen 50
Pikemen 50
Cavalry 50
Swordsmen 37
Slavers 2
Trebuchets 10
Battering Ram 1

Given the agreed-upon constraints, I don't believe our attacks could have been too much more effective.

* Guard Towers eliminated all infantry and pikemen (not to mention slavers) before they could do anything. The only way to increase the effectiveness of that unit type is either to beef up the number of infantry and pikemen sent, or else beef up the trebuchets to take out more guard towers. Trebuchets for this encounter were limited to 10, so the only possible option would have been to send so many infantry such that our other troop levels were lessened appreciably.

* Of course, you wouldn't want to remove longbowmen to add more infantry or pikemen, because the longbowmen did the only human damage in each skirmish, killing a few swordsmen apiece.

Of course, the defending set spears of the pikemen in each encounter wrecked the attacking cavalry, allowing the defending cavalry to ride over the remaining bowmen and trebuchets.

I'm not sure how such a small force could ever hope to do damage against a guard tower fortified enemy without increasing the trebuchet limit.

Good Show!
englishmix 
Posted: 24-Apr-2009, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Yes, it indeed was a worthy exercise and I deeply appreciate your trust, Lord Taliesin, through it all - for you represent your Clan Mac Na Galla well. Our hats off to you, my liege! Also, King TheCarolinaScotsman and Lord MacDonnchaidh, I really appreciate your helpul input!

With the assumption that your General Emrys had no bonus prior to the engagement, it must have been random that only your forces where noted as able to erect fortifications against my attack as well as gain high ground when you attacked my lands. Too bad for me that you receive both advantages.

IN A NUTSHELL:
Kilkerran attack destroyed 3 guard tower, 3 swordsman units and gained 2 gold.
Buchanan attack destroyed 4 guard tower, 7 swordsman units and gained 6 gold.
We both have a 5% defending bonus to one of our main generals.

For a small skirmish against an overwhelming force, use a new general with nothing to lose and commit longbowman and trebuchet units as much as one can, backed up by some pikeman or infantry.

In addition, I suffered slightly more loss for committing 26 Knights who were all annihilated and accomplished nothing. This adds to the rummored experience that for all their mighty description and cost, knights may be a bad investment.

I hope other new players will benefit by reading this post. The cost was well worth the knowledge and gaining the 5% defending bonus.

Good sport,
Lord Englishmix of Kilkerran
Taliesin 
Posted: 24-Apr-2009, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I noticed from reading your account of the battle, Lord Englishmix, that my erecting of fortifications was reported in your attack on me, as well as in my defense report, but the same notification did not appear in logs of my attack, leading me to believe it was just "dumb luck". And yes, it seems that I luckily got the bonus both times.

Our logs of the exercises have provided a great deal of food for thought in our clan forum, and that alone has been worth the price of admission, I will say! The bonus for the Emrys has been merely the icing on the cake.

Thank you again for your kind words, and for your challenge!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]