WizardofOwls 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 10:52 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Here is some information I found on Brocéliande. BTW, if it sounds like a tour guide, it is! smile.gif

I found this information at:
http://www.discoverbrittany.com

Brittany is deeply rooted in a past full of myth and legend. The heroes of Celtic legend, who have no obvious place amidst the bustle of everyday modern life, emerge from shadowy forests to make their fleeting presence felt. Brittany offers a gateway to the kingdom of Avallon - legendary island of mystery and delight -for those seeking to understand and experience this dreamlike world.

Brocéliande is the sacred forest of the ancient Celts, magical setting for the quest of the Knights of the Round Table and guardian of Breton legends. Brocéliande reveals its wonders in a succession of enchanting places. At Comper, home to the enchantress Vivian, a chateau built of red stone houses the "Center de Vimaginaire Arthurien" where visitors can find out more about the major themes of the Round Table legend with a guide on hand to unveil some of Brocéliande's secrets. Between Mauron and Tréhorenteuc lies the village of Fotte Pensée which provides access to the Fontaine de Barenton, the spring where Merlin the Magician and Vivian the Enchantress first met.

On the other side of the forest, Merlin's tomb remains the focus for a genuine form of worship. In the sacristy of Paimpont Abbey, the silver gilt reliquary of St Judicaël and an ivory, figure of Christ dating from the 18th century are the principal pieces amongst the abbey's treasures. After a well earned rest either at Ploërmel with its ducal past or at the medieval town of Mauron, the tour moves on to Tréhorenteuc. Here can be found the entrance to the "Val sans retour", the valley of no return, where Morgane held unfaithful lovers prisoner until the day Lancelot, pure and perfect lover of Queen Guinevere and finest of Arthurs knights, came to free them. This place is now watched over by "L'Arbre d'Or", the golden tree.

The church dedicated to the legend of the Holy Grail is now one of the principal sites of interest in Brocéliande. Finally, the megalithic monuments at the "Jardin aux Moines" and the "Hôtié", or house, of Vivian the Enchantress are a must for visitors, as are Les For- ges, the Aff valley and Trécesson chateau.

Brocéliande offers the chance to step through the doorway to a Brittany of myth, magic and Celtic legend.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 08-Jun-2004, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hello!
Here's some more info about Brocéliande, from the site:
http://www.visit-bretagne.com/lieux/lieux3...tml#broceliande

Brocéliande

In the heart of Brittany, geographically and historically speaking, the forest of Paimont is known as Brocéliande. This forest covered the whole of Brittany in the Middle Ages, and was a hotbed of the most fantastic Celtic legends. King Arthur and his knights searched the forest for the Holy Grail. While walking through the forest today, you can practically feel Merlin breathing down your neck, and you may see the reflection of Viviane in the lake next to the Tréhorenteuc. Look out for the Black Night, hiding maybe in an oak copse: he?s the guardian of the entire territory.

The Centre de l?Imaginaire Arthurien (at Comper Castle) will help you to understand the mystery of this land. Furthermore, the tourist office in Paimont will help you with maps and information to plan your route.

However, Brocéliande is not a place you visit, really. It?s more a place you get lost in. You dream, you discover. But to find the impressive Val Sans Retour, the Ponthus Ash, or the Golden Tree, you will need some help with the navigation, that?s for sure?

Even if you don?t find the Grail, hidden in the crook of some slippery rock, or in the ruins of a castle long lost to the forest, you will at least have some inspiration for vivid dreams! You?ll never forget the stunning beauty of the tiny valleys, filled with light wisps of mist, swirling over the damp ground. The smell of the earth gets inside you somehow, and you can see how the beauty of the forests and lakes inspired legends.

Worth the visit: the banks of the Vilaine, the Blavet Valley, the Dinan Forest up to Lanvaux? this landscape of legend will transport you into the Celtic imagination.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 21-Jun-2004, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Thanks Allen for the information! Excalibur (King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table) is one of my favorite myths/legends of all time. I love to learn all I can about the myth. But I watched a PBS/History channel documentry which says history tells that there was such a man named King Arthur who had knights who followed him. He was a famous warrior of Breton/England who became a timeless legend. I wish I could get the video or transcript so I could post some detailed information and theroies that were discussed.

Slán,
Roisin

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 22-Jun-2004, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

Sounds like a tour I would love to go on! I adore the legends of King Arthur whether in a book, movie, or on television. I especially liked Guardian of the Balance by Irene Renford, I'm not sure about the last name, but def an interesting version. I'm thrilled about the new movie coming out about his legend. Can't wait!

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 23-Jun-2004, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Well, hello Em Dear!

Where've you been? I was just wondering about that the other day and now here you are! I've missed ya! smile.gif

I'm so glad you liked these articles. I did too! Read the article I posted "Travels through Brittany" by Terri Windling. Its got some good stuff too!

Welcome back! And don't stay away so long! Makes everyone wonder what you''ve been up too! smile.gif
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 05-Jul-2004, 08:19 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I'm trying!!! I don't have the internet at my disposal anymore so I have to deal with what time I can get. But hopefully that will change soon. Thanks! ttyl thumbs_up.gif
beer_mug.gif -Em
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
greenldydragon 
Posted: 06-Jul-2004, 08:01 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

I really like that book Guardian of Balance. I also enjoy the Arthurian Legends, keep the info coming Wizard of Owls!

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 28-Sep-2004, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hello all!

Here is some more info I found on Broceliande. It was found at:
http://www.brittany-guide.com/welcome.html?menu.htm&0

BROCELIANDE

The Enchanted Forest
This legendary forest lies in the region known today as Paimpont ( Penpon meaning bridge head in Breton) which covers an area of 18,000 acres to the south west of Rennes. Brocéliande is the remnant of a vast primeval forest which in the first centuries A.D. covered the interior of Brittany stretching from Rennes to Rostrenen. This dense shadowy forest has spawned numerous mysteries & legends including one of the most famous legends in western mythology. This enchanted region is the setting for the quest by the Knights of the Round Table to recover the Holy Grail under orders from King Arthur. One of the best known inhabitants of the forest was Merlin the Magician. Merlin, a druid was friend & advisor to the young King Arthur & many places are instilled with his magical presence. The spring at Barenton to the north of Beauvais is where Merlin first encountered the enchantress Viviane. Viviane's love for Merlin was absolute & she bewitched Merlin at the Spring of Eternal Youth at Jouence using spells learned from the magician himself, turning the ancient druid's features back into their former youthfulness. The love was however reciprocal & Merlin for his part built a crystal citadel beneath the lake at Concoret which today reflects the image of the Chateau of Comper ( it was here that Lancelot was called by the Lady of the Lake). Viviane finally imprisoned Merlin in 9 magical circles "as intangible as air but as hard as rock" in order to be with the magician for ever. Today it is possible to visit Merlin's tomb which forms part of an alignment of standing stones in the northern part of the forest.

On a darker note the half sister to King Arthur, Morgane Le Fay also had a hand in bewitching the forest of Broceliand. Morgane was disappointed in love & she avenged this failure by imprisoning Knights who came to cross the Val Sans Retour (Valley of no Return) or the Val des Faux- Amants (Valley of Faithless Lovers) in a continuous circuit of dancing & revelry. These poor Knights were finally freed by the arrival of Lancelot, he being the cause of Morgane's anger & the spell she cast. The area around Tréhorenteuc is thus considered a centre for black magic & Morgane Le Fay may still be wandering the region. The Church of the Holy Grail at Tréhorenteuc offers a remarkable mixture of Christianity, Druidism & Arthurian Mythology. The forest is still an important site for numerous groups of witches, both black & white, & druid cult followers all of whom perform rituals in the forest at appropriate times of the year.

Places to visit:-
Forêt de Paimpont off the N24, direction Plelan le Grande
Paimpont on the D773 & D 71
Val sans retour, the Valley of no return, take the footpath from the second car park on the D134 towards Tréhorenteuc
Etang du Pas du Houx, off the D71
Merlins Tomb on the D31
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]