> Tomatoe Recipes Wanted And Potatoes Recipes
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Aug-2009, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Do you have some wonderful meal to make out of these vegetables and fruit. Something that's pretty quick. Not necessarily together.
Got vegetable coming on the bigger ones. I love blts....

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
mcnberry 
Posted: 16-Aug-2009, 11:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Hello Rindy!

My son and I love to cook together, and created some easy and cheap recipes he can make for himself when I have to work late.

Here is my son's variation on the BLT:

Toast two slices of some good crunchy bread. My son likes to spread Goat cheese on the toasted slices next, but we also use Brie cheese. A few slices of fried Bacon right on top of the cheese. Some salad greens (we love the Spring Mix) are next, and last but not least, a couple of freshly sliced Tomatoes from the garden. Salt and pepper - done!

Here is something my son calls "Yummy Noodles" and has become one of his favorites:

Have you ever looked in the refrigerator and pantry and there was not much there? It's late, the comer store is closed? All we had was butter, garlic, tomatoes, green onions, spiral noodles and Kraft Parmesan cheese.
I peeled lots of garlic, finely chopped the Tomatoes and the garlic and cut some green onions. I slowly melted a stick of butter (I tried this with Olive oil later. Not the same!) over medium to low heat and added the garlic. Make sure not to burn the garlic, or the dish will taste bitter! Now add the tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and let simmer on low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Boil the noodles until al dente. Add the green onions into the sauce 5 minutes before serving. You might add a little more butter also. Pour the tomato sauce over the noodles and add lots of Parmesan cheese on top.
As you can tell, I have no measurements for this dish. It's one of the dishes one just adds a splash here and a dash there. If you like garlic, use lots! For the two of us 6 or 7 tomatoes will do. Of course fresh Parmesan is the best! Goes very well with a plain Salad and an olive oil/ vinegar vinaigrette! chef.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 17-Aug-2009, 04:04 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

These both sound so good! That's great you cook together. I thank you for your help. I am definetly going to try the noodles as the weather is cooling it sounds super yummy! Thanks again mcnberry. thumbs_up.gif

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 17-Aug-2009, 07:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Our tomato festival is going to be this weekend...I'll see what people kick up from there. LOL

http://www.westovertonvillage.org/specialevents.html
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
mcnberry 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 01:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

I got another one for you Rindy! I am sure that you have some fresh Basil in your garden. Basil and Tomatoes are a match made in heaven!

3 or 4 home grown tomatoes, sliced
fresh!! Mozzarella cheese, sliced 1/4 -inch thick
fresh Basil leaves, about a cup
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

Put a slice of tomato on a plate. Add a few leaves of fresh basil on top of the tomato. Now stack a slice of Mozzarella on top of the tomato and Basil slice. More Basil on top. Keep repeating with a new slice of tomato, basil, Mozzarella.......Once you have used all of the tomatoes and Mozzarella, season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the stacks and add a splash of Balsamic vinegar! Sprinkle some chopped up Basil leaves over the finished product. Enjoy!
Notice the colors? My great grandmother used to tell me that she is serving the Italian flag!

Here is something I also make in the summer. Found it on youtube!

Tomato Bruschetta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY3xDPUDxgI
Leelee 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Potato Bacon Cheddar Tart

Two pounds or so of room temperature bacon
A minced onion
Three minced garlic cloves
Four cups of grated aged cheddar
Five or six large unpeeled baking potatoes
A sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Carefully arrange the bacon in a radial pattern from the center of the bottom of a ten-inch, non-stick pan to the lower edge of the rim and continuing up and over it. Let the ends hang over. The slices should overlap slightly around the sides of the pan. To reduce the thickness of the bacon in the center stagger every other piece starting it two inches from the center and extending it further than the adjacent slices. With the palm of your hand, flatten the center area, leaving no gaps in the bacon. Season the bacon with pepper then sprinkle on several tablespoons of the grated cheddar.

Slice the potatoes as thinly and uniformly as you can, about a quarter inch thick. Arrange a circular pattern of overlapping slices around the inside bottom edge of the pan. Continue arranging overlapping layers of the potatoes until the bottom is evenly covered. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Mix the onions and garlic together and sprinkle some of the mixture onto the potatoes. Continue with a layer of the grated cheese. Cover with another layer of the potato pressing it down firmly before continuing with alternate layers of the potatoes, onion mixture and cheese until the pan is full. Continue with several more layers insetting each a bit from the edge of the pan until the top is an inch or so higher than the pan’s rim. Fold the overhanging bacon neatly up and over the top of the potatoes. Trim a small piece of parchment paper and place it in between an ovenproof lid and the bacon. This will prevent the bacon’s ends from pulling back and shrinking during cooking.

Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for at least two and a half to three hours. You’ll know it’s done when a small thin bladed knife insert easily. Pour off as much of the fat around the edges as possible. Let the tart stand for fifteen minutes then invert it onto a cutting surface. Slice into wedges and serve immediately. You may refrigerate any leftovers and reheat them later it in a microwave.
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Broccoli & Potatoe Soup

3 tablespoons Olive Oil
3 Onions peeled and chopped
2 Cloves Garlic peeled and chopped
6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
2 large Potatoes peeled and grated
1 head Broccoli stems cut into chunks and florets reserved
Salt & Pepper
A large pinch of Nutmeg
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Place a 4 quart pot over medium-high heat and add oil.
When it's hot, add onions and sauté until they have softened.
Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add stock, grated potatoes and broccoli stems.
Season with salt and pepper and simmer until they are tender and potatoes have broken down.
Add nutmeg and adjust seasoning and puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
Reheat soup prior to serving and add reserved broccoli florets and cheddar cheese.
Simmer for about 5 minutes, until cheese has melted and florets are tender and bright green.
Serve hot.
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Potato Salmon Cakes

2 x large russet baking potatoes, washed and cut into large chunks
3 tbsp canola oil
2 x salmon filets, 6 oz each
Salt and pepper
4 x green onions, sliced thinly
1 x bunch fresh dill, chopped
1 x egg, lightly beaten

Directions:

1.Steam potatoes in a stovetop steamer until tender when pierced with a fork.
2.Meanwhile heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and when it's hot, add oil.
3.Using a potato masher, mash them together.
4.Season salmon filets and sear on both sides until just cooked through.
5.Place the potatoes into a large bowl and add salmon, salt and pepper.
6.Add green onions, dill and egg and mix well.
7.Form into 4 large patties. If the mixture seems a bit loose and won't form a well-packed cake, add some breadcrumbs until it binds well.
8.Heat a large skillet and add oil.
9.Add salmon cakes and fry them until they are golden brown on each size and heated through.
10.Serve with Horseradish Sauce
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Stuffed Baked Potatoes

6 x baker potatoes
6 slices of crispy bacon
4 x green onions, sliced thinly
1 cup of blue cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper

Directions

1.Bake potatoes at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool.

2.Slice the top, lengthwise, off of each potato and scoop out the flesh. Add crumbled cheese, crumbled bacon, green onion, salt and pepper. Mash well and then stuff back into potato shells.

3.Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through.
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Cherry Tomatoe Crisp

2 lb. of cherry tomatoes, whole
1 x red onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, sliced
3 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 loaf loaf of whole wheat bread
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
Salt and pepper

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.Toss tomatoes, onion and garlic with 3 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

3.Pour into an 8-inch by 8-inch ovenproof baking dish.

4.Tear bread into bite-sized pieces and toss with olive oil and sprinkle on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top and bake for 30 minutes. Loosely cover with foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Ladybug Salad

2 x plum tomatoes
1 sheet Nori sushi seaweed
1/2 cup ripe black olives, pitted, reserve two for garnish
1/2 cup artichoke hearts
1 clove garlic
1 tsp anchovy paste
1 tsp capers
1 tbsp lemon juice
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 handful mesclun or mixed baby salad greens
8 x enoki mushrooms or whole chives

Directions

1.Bring a small pot of water to the boil. Make a small X shaped cut at the base of each tomato then drop them in the boiling water for thirty seconds. Remove and immerse in cold water. Peel them by loosening the skin at the base. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and pulp.

2.Bring a small pot of water to the boil. Make a small X shaped cut at the base of each tomato then drop them in the boiling water for thirty seconds. Remove and immerse in cold water. Peel them by loosening the skin at the base. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and pulp.

3.Stuff each tomato half with a heaping spoonful of the artichoke tapenade. Punch out 30 or so dots from the nori sheet with a standard hole punch and decorate each tomato half to resemble a ladybugs spots. Cut the reserved olives in half and position as the head. Form antennas with the enoki mushrooms or chives. Toss the greens in a bowl with the vinaigrette then position a pile on each plate. Place a ladybug on each and serve with a garden trowel!
PM               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Found this on MyYahoo recipes app. Have not tried it yet, but I can taste it even as I read it. Kind of a cross between a pizza and a quiche. It's not in the recipe, but I think some sliced black olives (mild or the raunchy Italian ones), well drained, would be lervly mixed into the tomato layer.

TOMATO PIE

Ingredients

1 9-inch pie shell -- pre-baked to avoid sogginess
1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
3-4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped, to yield approximately 3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 leaves)*
2 cups grated cheese (combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Gruyere or Mozarella)
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Frank's Hot Sauce (or Tabasco)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

*To slice basil, chiffonade them by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end slice the "cigar" crosswise in thin slices.

Method

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pie shell in oven and pre-cook for 8-10 minutes or longer until lightly golden. If you are starting with a frozen crust, you'll need to cook it a little longer. If you are using a homemade crust, freeze the crust first, then line the crust with aluminum foil and pre-bake it for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.

2 Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes, using either paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a potato ricer.

3 Sprinkle the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell with chopped onion. Spread the chopped tomatoes over the onions. Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.

4 In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, Tabasco, a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snowball. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.

5 Place in oven and bake until browned and bubbly, 25 to 35 minutes.

Serves 6.
PMEmail Poster               
mcnberry 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

German Hot Potato Salad

Total time: 35 minutes

Servings: 6

1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes

1/2 cup beef broth

2 tablespoons minced onion

6 tablespoons white wine vinegar

Salt

1 teaspoon brown mustard

1 tablespoon minced parsley

1 1/2 teaspoons minced chives

3 tablespoons oil

1. Steam the potatoes: Arrange them in a single layer in a steamer basket and place the basket over a pan of rapidly boiling water. Cover and cook until they are tender, about 15 minutes (the time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes). As soon as they are cool enough to handle without scorching your fingers, peel the potatoes, if you like. Cut the potatoes crosswise into half-inch pieces; if using fingerlings, quarter them lengthwise.

2. While the potatoes are steaming, bring the broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. After cutting up the potatoes, combine them with the onion in a mixing bowl. Add the vinegar to the broth and pour the mixture over the potatoes. Set aside until the potatoes have cooled, stirring gently from time to time to coat well. When the potatoes are cool, pour off any broth that remains. Season to taste with salt.

3. In a small bowl or lidded jar, combine the mustard, parsley, chives and oil and stir or shake vigorously to make a smooth mixture. Pour the mixture over the potatoes and stir gently to coat well. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Footnote: This recipe comes very close to the one I was taught to make. I use red potatoes and leave the skin on. Diced red onions give it more flavor, and I add crisp Bacon bits and mix them in at the very end.

It can be served hot or cold and is a staple at German BBQ's or picnics.
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

BUBBLE AND SQUEAK

Ingredients:

450g (1lb) Potatoes, cooked and mashed
225g (8oz) Cabbage or Brussel Sprouts, cooked and finely chopped
25g (1oz) Butter or Oil
1 Onion, finely chopped

Method:

Heat the butter or oil in a large frying pan.
Add the onion and cook until soft and transparent.
Add the potatoes and cabbage (or sprouts).
Mix well.
Fry over a medium heat, turning occasionally, for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with bacon and eggs for breakfast or as part of a supper dish.

We just love it; it's very hearty.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 18-Aug-2009, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

POTATO GNOCCHI

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
4 teaspoons olive oil
3 quarts water
1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce, warmed or your favourite homemade one
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

METHOD:

1. In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, flour and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, yolk and olive oil; add to potato mixture. Turn onto a heavily floured surface; knead for 3-5 minutes or until smooth. Divide into fourths. On a floured surface, roll each portion into 3/4-in.-thick ropes; cut into 1-in. pieces.

2. In a Dutch oven, bring water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in batches for 45-60 seconds or until they rise to the surface. Remove with a strainer. Serve spaghetti sauce over gnocchi; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Serves 8
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]