Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 26-Oct-2006, 06:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

I spent 16 years in the jewelry industry (retail end) and I know what you are talking about when it comes to plated items. I never even wanted to stock the stuff because it was so much trouble. Here are some tips for jewelry buying.

24K or 24karat is pure gold. when you hear 18K or 14K (the most popular), or 10K this is gold mixed in with a base metal. Copper and nickel are common metals to use. If you have had an allergic reaction to a gold ring it is probably a nickel allergy which is quite common. 8 Karet is what is refered to as Gold filled. Plated is just a tiny sheet of gold plated over a base metal. Similar to paint over wood. Looks good for awhile but wears off. All gold products should be stamped somewhere, Rings are usually stamped on the inside (14k, 10K, etc) Sterling silver is usually stamped as "sterling" or 925 which is the European mark. If there is a "P" after the mark it is plated.

Of course people can get or stamp jewelry on their own and pass it off as real stuff. Most jewlery companies have there onwn tradmark also stamped inside the ring. There are also electronic testers out there which can not only tell if something is gold or not but also what karat gold it is.

And yes, I can tell the difference between a diamond and a cubic zirconia (diamonique) just by looking at it.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 13-Nov-2006, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Most books and info on Scotland and my clan is bought online. Everything else has been bought at festivals, although I plan to order kilts this winter online (hubby and I had measurements taken at a festival for future info).

BGL smile.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]