Group: Fellowship of the Ring
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Desert Highlands, USA

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
837,885 Gold!

Clan: AWARE

I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing to help make the holiday bright for those who need it most this year. My wife and I shopped for the Angel Tree this last weekend and it made the holidays much brighter for my family and I. When we tried explaining to my young daughter about giving to those in need during the holidays, I had to fight back tears when she told me she wanted to give some of her favorite toys to sick kids at the hospital. I only wish we could all have her spirit of giving through out the year.

Happy Holidays and God Bless all those in need this season.

newyear.gif thumbs_up.gif hug.gif

--------------------
"May those who love us, love us. And those who hate us, may God turn their hearts. And if he doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping."
-Celtic Proverbs

Grateful am I to have a sword in which to defend myself at all times, blessed am I for the days I need not use it.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 12-Dec-2008, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Great topic as reminder for all of us that this time though a time for family reunion and joy, unfortunately it is not always so for many....

Here in Montreal and actually in all of the Province of Quebec we have an benevolant association called
La Grande Guignolee and people can contribute all year round and especially during the Holidays they ask people to be generous for those in need.

This year again husband and I went out to Costco and bought a grocery and give it out when "La Grande Guignolée" came knocking...this is great for they come in a horse sleigh with bells and all to have people participate in this grand affair so that they can provide brighter days and food for the people.

Every year when my mother in law was still among the living we'd go downtown Montreal at the Café Campus for the traditionnal Christmas dinner given to those in need, single parent families, people without jobs and income, homeless people, those were very rewarding days for us for not only one gives out of oneself to help others but one gets to meet the real people and what is the painful reality of human misery and an eye opener that we must never take everything for granted.

Thank you for this great topic McRoach and God bless.

LOA newyear.gif

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
McRoach 
Posted: 13-Dec-2008, 12:22 PM
Quote Post

>>*<<
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
837,885 Gold!

LOA, thank you for sharing your holiday tradition of charity and the link (wish I spoke French). I think it would be really neat to have a horse drawn sleigh come by to pick things up, here where I live in the states the only charitable organizations that pick things up do so in a box truck. Still it's helping those in need that matters most!
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 13-Dec-2008, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

This is a great topic! Isn't it what this time of the year is about? If not fthrough out the whole year so at least now to remember to be thankful for what we have and to share. There is so much poverty around us, in the material sense but not only. There is hopelessness and loneliness and the feeling that this world was a cold place. Well, if that is so it's up to us to build fires. A smile, a touch, some words you talk to someone, the time you take to listen could be a most precious gift for those who are in need.
I taught my children that we all have a responsibility for each other and that any action we do effects someone other's life. We never had much material things to share but we always tried to help when we could. Imagine what it means when you go out at Christmas Night and give a small parcel to a homeless people including a knitten scarf and some homemade cookies. Have you ever seen when eyes brighten and a smile appears then? It's not only this wee parcel, more it is the feeling this person gets, not to be forgotten, a spark of love and joy.

McRoach, I too had tears in my eyes when I read about your little daughter.

May the spirit of the season fill your hearts and souls.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
McRoach 
Posted: 13-Dec-2008, 05:11 PM
Quote Post

>>*<<
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
837,885 Gold!

Gaberlunzie, thank you for sharing, I often wonder who benefits most from giving of of one's substance or time with nothing wanted in return, the giver or recipient. I read one definition of charity to be the pure love of christ, seems only fitting that we would want that feeling most when it comes time to celebrate his birth. God Bless.
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 14-Dec-2008, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

female

Writing about those actions can easily sound like selfpraise, so I'm very careful and usually don't talk about it. For me it's something I feel I need and want to do and simply my understanding of life and one of my rules I live along with.
The keyword is "nothing wanted in return". There are cultures who dont have a word like "You're welcome" in their languages because their understanding is that if they do or give something they do it because they want ito do so. It's a matter of course that they do it from their heart and unselfishly. Real charity is an action of love, I agree.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]