Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Croeso I Gymru, Mutations...and grammar!
gwenynen 
Posted: 21-Aug-2005, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

Diolch, Siarls. Ych, fi'n dymuno y byddwn i'n gallu siarad Cymraeg yn rhugl! smile.gif

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 22-Aug-2005, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Bendigedig, Gwen! Ti'n swnio fel reit Cymraes Gymraeg. Fi'n gallu clywed y dôn yn dy lais!!!
Excellent, Gwen! You sound like a right Welsh speaker! I can hear the tone in your voice!!!

Gyda llaw Austaff, does dim treiglad meddal ar ôl i "ac". Mae'n llenyddol iawn i ddweud "ac" pob tro. Os mae'r gair yn dechrau gyda chytsain, does dim angen y "c". Ti'n gallu dweud dim ond "a". Sut bynnag, mae treiglad llaes ar ôl i "a".
E.e. papur a beiro
beiro a phapur

By the way Austaff, there's no soft muation after "ac". It's very literary to say "ac" all the time. If the word begins with a consonant, you can just say "a", there's no need for the "c". However, there is an aspirate mutation after "a".
E.g. papur a beiro (paper and pen)
beiro a phapur (pen and paper)

TREIGLAD LLAES (only the letters C, P and T have aspirate mutations)

C => CH
P => PH
T => TH

I've always been able to remember this easily because it is the initials of me and my brothers!!!!!! (Charles, Paul and Thomas and as CPT is alphabetical, it is also the order of age - my being the oldest!)

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
austaff 
Posted: 22-Aug-2005, 08:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Diolch Siarls I will try to remember TCP there is so much to learn isnt there but I am surprised that I have learned so much in the 12 months since I first started to learn the Welsh language. With your help and the others it has made it a little easier.

--------------------
A fo ben bid bont
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 23-Aug-2005, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

There is a lot to learn, but take it step by step! Being too eager and rushing it will make you overlook important things! The Celtic Languages are awkward with their muatations (Welsh), eclipses (Irish) and lenitions (Scots Gaelic)!!!! They are also awkward with their registers of formality and of course their dialects.
However, once you get started, it's a smooth ride and you will just be taken with the flow of the Welsh Language. You'll be able to feel it and you'll be both surprised and impressed when you begin to feel what's right, what's wrong and what's acceptable!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 23-Aug-2005, 07:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Indeed there is so much to learn! When I think I've cleared one hurdle, I come across another! But thanks to you, Siarls and other helpful Welsh, dw i'n cerdded ymlaen un cam ar y tro.

I've noticed reading published writings help a lot as Antwn mentioned before. I often find my answeres right in the book.

Rhaid i mi fynd nawr.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 24-Aug-2005, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

No thanks necessary, honestly. Just let me know what you need and if I'm confusing you, rather than helping you! I would want to be an assistance, not a hindrance!!!
All of you and anyone.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 26-Aug-2005, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Siarls, I found the answer to my question right in your post in Beginner's Welsh:
Mae'n hyfryd [COLOR=red]i weld....

I was wondering if I needed a preposition between "Mae'n hyfryd" and a verb-noun. And is it "i" or "at" or etc? I sould have read your post before I posted in another place. Yes, I made a mistake; I didn't use any preposition! O, wel. I know now.
PMEmail Poster                
gwenynen 
Posted: 26-Aug-2005, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Wps, the color didn't change! I meant to make the letter "i" red!
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 29-Aug-2005, 06:13 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

How do you feel about preposition conjugations?

E.g.
imi
iti
iddo fe
iddi hi
ini
ichwi
iddynt, etc.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 29-Aug-2005, 07:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

That's one of the difficult aspects in Welsh grammar. I just have to get used to it. Do you have any good idea in conquering it?
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 30-Aug-2005, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Do you have the lists of preposition conjugations anywhere? If not, I can dig some out for you. Then, it's just a matter of learning the conjugations until you know them.

Let me know what it is you find difficult, and I shall find some cyngor amongst my books!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 30-Aug-2005, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

I do have lists, in books not in my head! I know I need to commit all of them to memory, but that's the hard part! I've got used to some which I come across often.
PMEmail Poster                
Antwn 
Posted: 30-Aug-2005, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Thanks Siarls, but my biggest problem is not the conjugation of prepositions, but which ones to use and when to use "to" and not to use "to" in a sentence. Often Welsh doesn't use the prepostion to like English does, but other times it is used. I get confused about whether or not to use it at all.

Also I get confused about when/whether to use ar and i after a verbnoun. For example you have chwilio ar but ymchwilio i. I think that's right. I have a book of prepositions (Pa Adroddiad) but it doesn't cover every one. I guess with time and practice one learns.

Antwn

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
austaff 
Posted: 30-Aug-2005, 11:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

I am totally confused they are very hard to master
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 31-Aug-2005, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

I've been going through books and papers, trying to find a solution to your difficulties. Of course, there is no easy one and I have even been reading essays, thinking, "Why have I put that preposition there? How did I know it was the right preposition?"

When it comes to conjugation, according to this paper I've found, there are 3 types of conjugation and of each, there is a Ffurf Lenyddol (literary form) and a Ffurf Lafar (colloquial form). In here, let's use the Llafar form so you get used to it when speaking Welsh (as you don't get much practice to speak Welsh).

I typed it out here, but it got too long, so if you want it, let me know and I shall email you the list I have here. But basically, the three types of conjugations that we use are , and . An example of each is: arnaf (On me), hebof (Without me) and wrthyf (By me).

As for knowing which preposition with which verb, I'm finding this frustrating myself. It seems that verbs that begin cy- and ym- are generally followed by the preposition â.
Generally, if you want to express towards, you use at. E.g. nesáu at (approach). We also use anfon at (send to), ysgrifennu at (write to), etc.

A verb that should be important to bear in mind is dweud. Always dweud wrth rhywun. (say to someone). E.g. Dywedodd wrthyf y bydd yn hwyr. He said to me that he will be late.

Again, I have lists. If you want them, I shall email them to you.

If at this stage, you're finding this too complicated, please express which part or, for the time being, ignore it and develop it when you feel more comfortable. At this stage, there may be more important things for you. You will pick it up slowly with time.

BTW, chwilio am.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]