Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Independence Of Alba, Say what you think about Freedom of Alba

What do you think about Freedom of Alba ?
Alba has to be Free [ 27 ]  [81.82%]
Alba has to stay under English rule [ 1 ]  [3.03%]
No Idea [ 5 ]  [15.15%]
Total Votes: 33
Guests cannot vote 
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted on 10-Jul-2006, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,061 Gold!

As part of the great Scottish diaspora, my heart would love to see an independent and free Scotland. That said, it remains to the people living in Scotland to decide what is right for them. Understand, I am not so much "anti-England" as I am pro-Scotland and just want what is best for the land of my ancestors.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siarls 
Posted on 20-Nov-2006, 03:43 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Being half Scottish, I love Scotland but I don't think it needs to be independent to express itself. Being a British citizen is far more beneficial and the Nationalists are passionately blind.

In my opinion, England does need to open up more to our Celtic cultures, though Scotland chose to be part of the United Kingdom with James VI / I and I doubt Scotland's modern claims to be Celtic. A fierce pride is sweaping Ireland, Wales and Cornwall to keep our languages alive.

The Scottish including my father have no care for Gaelic and care more for Scots, which, let's face it, is just English written to reflect the Scottish accent. English written to the reflect other accents are regarded to be unprofessional and almost ignorant, why is Scots any different?!

If you asked my father "Should Alba be independent?", he'd probably reply, "Where's Alba?" My mother would have more of a clue of what Alba is thanks to her Welsh, so why do the Celtic nations not support each other more?!

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
Haggishead 
Posted on 08-Nov-2007, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Roaming the Highlands of my mind

male

Check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kK6LkpfZ94s

It the The Corries doing their version of Scotland the Brave. If you have ever wondered about the thought of independence, just listen through until the last verse.

--------------------
"Cuimhnich air na daoine o'n d'thaining thu"
Remember the men from whom you are descended.
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted on 08-Nov-2007, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Yes, they've been thinking about it for a long long verra long time.

I'm sure they'll get it. Scots are a stubborn lot that's one of their many qualities.

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
gwenlee 
Posted on 13-Nov-2007, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I think every country has a right to independence. The issue of independence for Scotland should be left up to the citizens of Scotland.

Gwenlee

Haggishead 
Posted on 14-Nov-2007, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Roaming the Highlands of my mind

male

Here is a blip from an article from The Scotsman:

"ALEX Salmond has, for the first time, named a date by which he believes Scotland will be an independent country - 2017. The First Minister made the dramatic assertion on the eve of the SNP's first budget in government, a day in which the party will set out its spending priorities over the next three years."

The whole article is HERE.
PMEmail Poster               
TMcAdams 
Posted on 06-Aug-2008, 11:09 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: California native, now living in Strathroy, Ontario

male

FREEDOM

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Royal is my Race
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted on 06-Aug-2008, 01:46 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (TMcAdams @ 06-Aug-2008, 12:09 PM)
FREEDOM

TMcAdams;

I'm all for the independence of my birthplace it is long overdue. Scotland when independent will still be part of the United Kingdom, still a member of the Commonwealth and there will still be no border between the rest of Britain. Scotland will join the EU and the UN and maybe just maybe I pray reinstate the Highland Regiments the English have so blatantly disbanded or amalgamated.

ALBA GU BRAUGH.

Camac.PS. Read my poem "The Red Lion of the North" in Celtic Hearts.

oldraven 
Posted on 08-Aug-2008, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Turkceltic @ 06-Nov-2005, 01:00 PM)
Actually ,i thought about this and decided to open it in here cos although the topic includes politics , thats about scotland and specifically about scottish people thats why i put it in here .But it realy doesnt mind wherever it is 4 me ...

About style of independency , as u know " the freedom don't given ,its taken " And people of Scotland will take it from England who hold the sovereignty. thats not going to be with peace and democracy - England never want a free scotland near of him.First thats realy dangerous situation from strategly ,second that'll be example for other nations and GB can collapse after all. Be sure, if there will be an referandum for Freedom, definitely wont be fairy ! So fight will be the only solution ! -
At last ,if scotland can be free , UK 'll be its biggest rival!
Maybe Ireland and Scotland going to establish a ConFederation (as like first formation of USA ,and feature it turns to Celtic Federation ,thats better solution i think. thumbsup.gif

I think you need to get your view of the UK into this century. It's not England.

The people of Scotland are free. Your view of the situation appears to be far more Turkish than British. Take that however you feel, but I think the last thing anyone wants is to see Scotland 'fighting' with the UK (themselves), or England, as you put it. Least of all the Scots and English.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted on 08-Aug-2008, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

oldraven; I see Salmon has set the date as 2017 for total Independence. Hope it happens . The only thing that will really change is the Tax revenues will all stay in Scotland along with a bigger share of Oil royalties.

Camac.

CelticRoz 
Posted on 16-Sep-2008, 03:50 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I feel that any country who wants independence should be able to have it. We, Americans, fought for freedom during the American Revolution at a great price.

As an American, who has never lived in GB, let alone visited the country, I don't feel I have a say-so. It is up to the folks who live in Great Britain to speak for themselves as to what they desire....not anyone else who lives outside the country.

Just the way I feel. wink.gif smile.gif
Camac
Posted on 16-Sep-2008, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

DesertRose;

I understand how you feel and maybe in some respects you are right,but for those who are like me, born in Scotland and raised in Canada and have many many relatives in Scotland the situation is different. I myself long for the day when the "Jack" is replaced by the "Saltire" and the unequal dominence by England is repalced with a true partnership.

Camac.

CelticQueenCelticLord 
Posted on 02-Feb-2009, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Los Lunas, NM, USA

female

SAOIRSE

--------------------
When the day shall come, that we do part; if my last words are not 'I love you'--ye'll ken it was because I didna have time. (Fiery Cross Quotes)
Also a Diana Gabaldon, Jamie Frazier lover
celticlord 
Posted on 02-Feb-2009, 11:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Los Lunas, NM

male

thumbs_up.gif It should be recognized as its own soverignty
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MacDonnchaidh 
Posted on 06-Feb-2009, 04:20 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Stoughton, MA

male

It should be recognized as its own soverignty

Well that's the thing, with James I & VI being the King of England and Scotland the Monarch of Great Britain is the sovereign of Scotland as well as England and Wales too (who can forget the Welsh?). If Scotland became independent of England they would be saying "We don't want our king/queen anymore."
I am not a native of Scotland, I am Scots-Canadian, so I am not up to date with Scottish politics, economy and general public opinion, I am just putting in my say to the question asked. As has been pointed out, Scotland is a separate nation from England and Wales all of which make up the Island of Great Britain and the United Kingdom. In the past England, like America, in order to conquer and subdue the neighboring people smother the culture of the natives with their own.

Therefore in my opinion Scotland should remain under the monarch of the United Kingdom, but they should have more autonomy of their parliament and recognize their own culture which would make them more independent from the shadow of England without actually rebelling like the colonies of the New World *cough* *cough*.

--------------------
Glory is the Reward of Valour ~ Robertson Motto

For Faith, For Service to Humanity ~ Knights Hospitaller Motto

Am fear is tiuighe clairgeann se ‘s lugha eanchainn.
He who has the thickest skull has the smallest brain.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]