Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Button it
scottish2 
  Posted: 06-Jan-2002, 09:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Interesting if not alittle gross.  (cry)
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 08-Jan-2002, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Kentucky

**By WWII though they had dropped the kilt and conformed to the traditional war clothes used by most armies.**

Macfive!  :O

I knew that the Highlanders used to drop their kilts before their major battles in the ancient days of Dalriada...but did they really do that in WWII as well !?!  ;)

Slainte,

Janet
aka kylassie

--------------------
Slainte,

Janet

aka Kentucky Lassie

aka Janet, Queen of Scots :p
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
  Posted: 08-Jan-2002, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I read were the Celtic warriors would gain the advantage in battle by going into combat in the buff, with his hair matted with lime and war paint on his body and face.  The enemy would lose heart of such a demonic image and flee.  Good way to get rid of the enemy.    :O  :O   maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
scottish2 
  Posted: 09-Jan-2002, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I'm running just thinking of that KY.  (cry)
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
  Posted: 06-Jan-2002, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I found this little bit of info on a link of The Scottish Thistle.  The buttons on the sleeves of traditional Highland dress have their origin in the British army. They were introduced to stop soldiers wiping their noses on their sleeves.  I guess they had to use something.  maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 08-Jan-2002, 05:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
242,934 Gold!

I always love hearing about where certain traditions or clothing items had their start. The funny thing about Highland Dancing is that prior to the 50's it was very rare, if any, for a girl to Highland Dance. It was mostly boys. In fact, the British army, after the act of union, would have their soldiers train using the Highland Dance because it was so rigorous and built up stamina and endurance.

Now, Highland Dance is done mainly by little girls and I am not sure what Prime Minister Tony Blair's policy is on Highland Dance and the British Army!

While on this subject, the Argyl Highlanders have always been respected as one of the best trained troops in the world. During WWI and they were known as the ladies from #### - because of their use of the Kilt. By WWII though they had dropped the kilt and conformed to the traditional war clothes used by most armies.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
scottish2 
  Posted: 08-Jan-2002, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I thought they hoisted them like in braveheart. That's going the opposite way.  ;)  :D
PMEmail Poster               
kylassie 
Posted: 09-Jan-2002, 08:39 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

I think I met a couple of those guys at the beach last summer - big hairy bellies and men's bikini bottoms don't mix!  It was enough to send the rest of us running!!! ;)   :D
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 09-Jan-2002, 09:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
242,934 Gold!

Quote (kylassie @ Jan. 08 2002,8:36)
**By WWII though they had dropped the kilt and conformed to the traditional war clothes used by most armies.**

Macfive!  :O

I knew that the Highlanders used to drop their kilts before their major battles in the ancient days of Dalriada...but did they really do that in WWII as well !?!  ;)

Slainte,

Janet
aka kylassie

Ok, I have a tendency to say things which I deem as perfectly making sense, but something strange happens when the thoughts get transferred down through my fingers or mouth and something totally unexpected comes out!

:D

I have to admit that was pretty funny KYLassie!

Hope everyone is having a great week!

(d)
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
kylassie 
Posted: 10-Jan-2002, 04:16 AM
Quote Post

1st Queen of Scotland

ZodiacBirch

I am sorry MacFive, but it was just too tempting to resist! Your wording was just fine, it is your audience on this board that perhaps interprets things rather uniquely. Remember we are sometimes a rowdy group, but we all have hearts of gold. (h)

Slainte,

Janet

P.S. Back to the original post - if the Highlanders wore bottons on their shirtsleeves so that they couldn't wipe their noses, exactly what did the British Government expect them to blow thier noses on? Did they carry little embroidered hankies in their sporrans?
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]