> Living Like The Amish
Bookmark and Share
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 18-Sep-2008, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Well Hurricane Ike roared through this past Sunday.
Wait a minute JP, don't you live in Ohio? I certainly do. Ohio was declared part of the hurricane zone. Obviously we had no storm surge and no rain at all; but we did have hurricane force winds (74 mph +). So now our power has been knocked out. The problem is widespread. We live out in the country with well water, but that means no electric to run the pump: therefore no showers! Just cold sponge baths.

Of course the food we have in the fridge and freezer is in jeopardy. There is ice in both but that won't keep it forever. Our phone is out too, and that means no internet access (I am at work now). Our neighbors have power. It's just us and the in-laws next door. A line snapped at our transformer.

Has anyone come by to see if we need anything? No, but that's okay. There are others in more need than we are. I have to keep thinking about those folks on the Gulf Coast that lost everything. We are simply inconvenienced, so I can't really complain.

The other day I spoke with a young lady that mentioned she lived nearby to some Amish folks. She said this probably isn't affecting them at all! I responded that they are probably laughing at us right now!

"Stupid English!" laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 18-Sep-2008, 07:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacVine

female

j Padraig I wish I'd be near to help you and your family the best I could but unfortunately I'm far and away and feel helpless in reading your post. All I can say is that my thoughts and prayers are with you and family and hope for the best.

It is sad to say that in times like this that unfortunately as a society we have become dependants of all the modern commodities so much so that people are simply lost in times of crisis.

Hang in there and good luck.

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
flora 
Posted: 18-Sep-2008, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Welcome to my world!

Too often I have been in that same spot.

You mentioned that you were in the country so that might be why someone hasn't come by yet? So many people who haven't experienced the aftermath of these storms are uncertain about traveling about.

We are also in the country so anytime we have high winds we lose power and it takes awhile to get it back. Camping gear gets us through the tough time and we have a generator if it goes on too long. At least you don't have to deal with hot weather and mosquitoes!!!!

You have my thoughts and prayers. Most of all, stay safe.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Gillian 
Posted: 18-Sep-2008, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

I know it must be frustrating to deal with a power lost. It's something we are so dependent on. How amazing that the winds were still so powerful all the way up north!

Yes, stay safe and enjoy the candle-light evenings.

--------------------
“The follies which a man regrets most in his life, are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.”
- Helen Rowland
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 18-Sep-2008, 06:53 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Hel -...um, Argyll...

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

I was born and raised in the leaves (it was even farther out than the sticks), and we weathered tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards...you name it. We were consistently the first ones out of power/snowed in/what have you, and the last ones dug out or connected again. I feel your pain, darlin'...we were all family back where my family lives, so *we* all kept an eye on each other. But the houses nearby with little old widows living alone? *We* checked on them, nobody else ever thought to. Scary.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 19-Sep-2008, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Power is back! We return to the 21st century. Now if I can only get high-speed internet. I found out a friend, one-mile away from me can get it: and we are with the same phone service. But I cannot!

Anyway, thanks to all who helped us and to you my CR.net friends for your support.

thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt