Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> This Is Memorial Day Weekend In The U. S., Food for thought before you have fun
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 27-May-2005, 06:22 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

usaflag.gif
QUOTE (from MEMORIAL DAY: A DAY OF SOLEMNITY AND GRATITUDE By Florida State Representative Jeffrey D. Kottkamp)
Established in 1868 as a day to honor the fallen soldiers of the {American} Civil War, Memorial Day has become a day of solemn recognition of all our fallen soldiers and the high price of our freedom.

This is a speech from that war by President Abraham Lincoln. It had special meaning then and still does today.

The Gettysburg Address
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
November 19, 1863

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

And here's a Poem for you to think about:
usaflag.gif
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE

I watched the flag pass by one day.
It fluttered in the breeze
A young soldier saluted it, and then
He stood at ease.
I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud
With hair cut square and eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd.
I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?
How many Pilots' planes shot down?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No Freedom isn't free

I heard the sound of taps one night,
When everything was still.
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That taps had meant "Amen"
When a flag had draped a coffin
of a brother or a friend.
I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.
I thought about a graveyard at the
bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.....
No -- Freedom isn't free!!

Author Unknown

So if you get a chance this weekend give a veteran two big hugs: One for their service and one for their brothers and sisters in arms who never got to come home to a big hug from their family or friends, because they are still on "eternal duty" rip_1.gif .

QUOTE (from MEMORIAL DAY: A DAY OF SOLEMNITY AND GRATITUDE By Florida State Representative Jeffrey D. Kottkamp)
Thomas Jefferson said that eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.  As Americans, we don?t give up, give out, or give in.  We press onward, holding the light of liberty high for others to follow. Today, let us remember the sacrifices of those who have fallen on foreign soil for America?s cause....freedom and liberty for all. May God continue to bless this great nation and those who have defended her through the years.

Lest we Forget!

usaflag.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 27-May-2005, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

MacE, I sure wish my Dad was still here on this earth so I could give him two big hugs! I love Memorial day and what it represents, but it's such a sad day when you go visit the graves of loved ones and all you have left of them is your memories.

BTW..that poem was a tear jerker! sad.gif

On a lighter note, I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Memorial Day! It's great to be able to be wth family and friends and eat, play and have a good time!

usaflag.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 27-May-2005, 07:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

This son of a Korea vet will never forget the sacrifices our young men (and now women) have made serving in the military.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I must confess that I never served in the military, nor have I lost any loved ones to war, but I am thankful for those who chose to sacrifice their time and - in many cases - their lives to guarantee us our way of life.

To all of our vets - both living and dead - Thank you! You will not be forgotten!

Hope you all have a wonderful, safe holiday!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

I will be celebrating Memorial Day somewhat. Since my husband is not at home - I can't give him a hug. But I hope he has a chance to call me or be online.

I know I will be thinking about him very much. I got the balcony decorated and will do a bit more decorating. The door is already framed with green Ivy in wich are yellow ribbons tied. And I got a few of those car magnets on the frontdoor wich are yellow ribbons.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 05:24 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (Monarchs Own @ 28-May-2005, 06:45 PM)
I will be celebrating Memorial Day somewhat. Since my husband is not at home - I can't give him a hug. But I hope he has a chance to call me or be online.

I know I will be thinking about him very much. I got the balcony decorated and will do a bit more decorating. The door is already framed with green Ivy in wich are yellow ribbons tied. And I got a few of those car magnets on the frontdoor wich are yellow ribbons.

My hopes and prayers go out for you and all who have loved ones in "harm's way".

MacE

This post has been edited by MacEoghainn on 28-May-2005, 06:41 PM
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

As is my custom every Memorial Day, I would like to pay tribute to my fellow "Silent Warriors," especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice while flying "peacetime" aerial reconnaissance missions in a "Silent War" that even today few are even aware was taking place. The families of one crew had to wait 39 years before they were honored with a memorial service, and the families were finally allowed to talk to those who had served in the same squadron as the crew.
See the National Vigilance Park website.
My thoughts and prayers are with those men and women, and their familes, who are now fighting the war on terror so the the rest of us can enjoy the holiday as we choose, whether it is in solemn commemoration of the sacrifices so many have made, or a celebration of the beginning of summer.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 28-May-2005, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Just wondering what everyone will be doing on Memorial Day?

I may go to either a baseball game or the local Irish Fest.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]