mercyforme 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: washington

female

There is a story in the bible something about rich men giving a lot but a poor women who gave all she had which wasnt hardly anything, and she was the better one....I will have to do some diggin to find that one but I will by tonight.
Give what you can spear, not your entire wallet. But I wanted to know, does the money you give to your church go to futhering preaching work About God?? Does it support you guys learning about God?? I am asking does it give to what it should?? Do they go over the amount they spend and where it goes? I ask cause you seem like you have a real intrest in God, so if you give all you can I hope it is going to real good use.

One church I went to one time the preacher sang for about 10 mins while the collection plate went around and around and he sang about how Jesus needed the money. I was affended, and the church was so big and they had a big band, now I could see this money wasnt being used for what it should. Yes music is nice, singing is a part of worship but a big band, tall roof, the decor was expensive and that stuff is not needed. I would hate to think your money that you are able to give isnt being wasted.

--------------------
Look Beyond what you see
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 04:05 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Elspeth! I would say you are a cheerful giver of your time! That means more to God than anything. So don't be hard on yourself.

Me? Well when I was tithing, I was giving to a a couple of ministries who were reaching out to the Native Americans. I have an avid interest in the Native American culture and history and live amongst many of them here in Arizona. I wanted to give the money that God gave to me back to Him through the preaching of God's Word and building of churches amongst the reservations and for Native American preacher salaries to continue that work! My church also has a ministry to the Native Americans as well, helping the people to start and operate their own churches.

I just had a major hospital bill to pay off, after having surgery last November. Now that we got that paid off and some other bills coming our way paid off, I hope to be tithing again.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
mercyforme 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 09:44 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

Elspeth
I wasnt here long enough to find what I said I would, give me another day and sorry for the delay.....
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 15-May-2004, 08:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Elspeth

God has given you worth and talent way beyond silver and gold, and I'm sure that any gift of the heart that you can give him means more than any money that you could give to the Church. That is the lesson of the parable where the woman only gave a penny but it was all that she had.

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
mercyforme 
Posted: 15-May-2004, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

If you know the scriptures of that one would you post it for her smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 15-May-2004, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

The story of the poor woman's gift is given in two places, first at Mark 12:41-44 and is repeated at Luke 21:1-4

Mark 12:41-44
41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
42 And there came a certain poor widow and she threw in two mites which make a farthing.
43 And he called unto him his disciples and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you that this poor widow hath cast more in than all they which have cast into the treasury.
44 For all they did cast in of their abundance, but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even her living.

Luke 21:1-4
1 And he looked up and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury.
2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all
4 For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God, but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

I am in the same boat as many of you. My wife's recent medical problems have kept her from working. Its hard surviving on one income when you normally have two. My wife went back to work Monday, so hopefully we'll be able to get back to our normal tithing.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
RavenWing 
Posted: 15-May-2004, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I was discussing this with my hubby today, and we cam to the conclusion that (in any religion) it is better to give happlily than to give begrudgingly.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
mercyforme 
Posted: 15-May-2004, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

wizardofowls

thankyou very much for finding that one for me, it was bugginh me that I couldnt:)
I have this cd with my info as I wrote and told Elspeth, and it isnt working atm so I am slower at finding what I want. But that story I thought was perfect for her!
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 16-May-2004, 01:46 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Sometimes giving is done by faith, even if it's all you have. But remember we are suppose to be led of the Spirit, and I do not think God would lead you to give to the church when your children will go hungery.

I personally do not believe in tithing. What is 10% when everything that I own is God's already. If God wants me to keep that 25 or 50 dollars so that I can feed my children then I will. I've been in churches where they'll tell you that your robbing God if you don't give your 10%---Balderdash!!!
How can you rob God when it's already His? The Lord wants our 100%---of our time, talents, love, devotion, and money. Tithing was for the Old Testatment priesthood, but Christ ripped the curtian between the inner court and the Holy of Holies and now we no longer need an earthly priest to go to God for us---we have a high priest Jesus Christ who is our mediator. But God still wants us to give. Why? I think so we can share in what He is doing throughout the earth and reap a reward. "Give and it shall be given to you...pressed down, shaken together, and running over."

And real preachers really do need to eat. Like the Bible says don't muzzle the oxen. But the preachers who are driving around in Cadillacs and Mercedes, etc., living in masions, private jets while their flocks scrape the barrel for a meager meal---shame on them. I don't remember reading where Jesus was driving a fancy camel or living in a palace, or eating at the kings table, quite the contrary Jesus was homeless and ate with sinners and fishermen. I don't remember reading where Peter, John, James, or even Paul lived the high life. If you call having a ball and chain in prison, or a crucifixion upside down, or being sentenced to life on an island for the insane living it up, then I guess they were living the life of the rich and famous. Real men and women of God know what the cost is to be a true believer. Just go to the web site of www.voiceofthemartyrs.com and you will see real men and women standing up for the Gospel and even paying with their very lives to be a follower of Jesus Christ. God will divided the sheep from the goats...on that faithful day! Se-lah, A-men!

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-May-2004, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Roisin, you brought out some very good points. Everything is God's anyway! I especially resent these preachers driving expensive cars and living in mansions and I have been to the churches and had a problem with it even back then. However, if were not for the offerings of the people than how could ministries go on and the staff at our churches make their salaries? My church calls them "offerings" not tithing and I have never heard him preach one sermon about tithing in the whole four years I have been going to that church............which I am thankful for. I still believe in giving with a cheerful heart and not begrudgingly.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 16-May-2004, 11:52 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Hi Rosemary, I too believe strongly in giving. In the church I now attend, the pastor does not call us or ask us to tithe only give our offering, whatever that may be. He lives in a very modest three bedroom house, and drives a compact, while his wife drives a astro-van or some sort of van to haul their two small boys around. Yes ministry needs money to function, but we need to make sure that is what the money is going toward. Ministries not masions. I guess we have to be led by our conscience and the Spirit.

Roisin
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 17-May-2004, 12:38 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I agree with everything you have said, Roisin. I used to tithe and then got out of it. My hubby is the legalistic one and wants very much to make up for the time we have lost in "tithing." I have a problem with this. I just believe in giving with a cheerful heart and to those ministries or our churches ......................after we have checked out where our money is going to and making sure it is not going towards someones fancy car, mansion or fancy jewlery. Believe me.........I have been in churches where the pastor had all of the above. Eck!
mercyforme 
Posted: 17-May-2004, 05:55 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

What sometimes makes me angry is these preachers dont know enough to teach right since the 10% was taken out of effect after Jesus it is only whats up to the person to give what they want. But some churches teach that it is a must and then some of the people feel stressed. BUt also cant forget that if your doing what God wants, he will provide for you.
So lets say that 10% is a must now a days by God--and you have so many bills and kids and your job does not pay as much, whether you made a mistake by adding a bill you didnt need as long as your living your life faithful to God and you give what he wants even if you dont know how to make it he will provide.
It takes faith, but I will state again after having wrote that, that according to the scriptures it was an old law and not in affect now.......if your serving God with a complete heart he will provide.
WE have assemblies, where many congragations get together for a weekend. Same teachings but it is good to gather cause we see many friends all at once. The last one I attended they were talking about the building of more Kingdom Halls and assemblies. Well they are going to only be putting carpets in the isles now instead of the whole floor to save on money. The Halls are modest, they have what they need, they are beautiful, but no money that isnt needed is put into them. And I appreciate that very much. I like how if there is a change to be made they vote on it with the people to see how they want to deal with things, I am not baptized but I thought it was neat that I got to help vote:)
I also like that there is no assigned parking for anyone, we do leave the spots closest to the door for the older ones. There are elders, but they just have responsiblities no privliages, well serving Jehovah is a privlage:). No one is elevated above another. No one person is giving the talks, all the brothers switch around on sundays. I am fond of this cause in my past experience it was just one man and the people kinda would follow him rather than God....
Well here I am going on and on and I know some one you would like to tell what you love about where you worship tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 17-May-2004, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

This has been a good discussion for me. I don't know that I will ever feel like I have done my duty unless I give 10%, not necessarily to a church per se, but give where it is needed. And, yes, it must be given cheerfully or it doesn't count.

I have given on faith before and there is much to be said for that. It does draw you into a closer walk with God.

And that is the whole point of it, as with any thing that God wants us to do. He doesn't ask us to give only to help others. He knows that when we give of ourselves, it is when we grow. The giver is blessed more than the receiver. We need to give for our own soul's sake.

It is the same with prayer. We need to pray, not because God needs told what needs done, but that in intercessory prayer, we step outside ourselves and think of others. Just as when we give, we step outside ourselves and think of others.

I have been negligent in this area. I need to work on sharing what God has given us, in a responsible way. For I do believe God also gave us the responsibility to raise our children. It would be silly to give to the church and others if it meant our children's home was taken from them. Not a responsible use of the gifts God has give us. But if I do have more than I really need, I should be sharing it.

Good discussion!

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
mercyforme 
Posted: 17-May-2004, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

ZodiacBirch

female

I dont think you have anything to worry about, seems to me you love God so much...and we all sometimes dont pray as much as we should but then we remember and do the best we can. I think you are a good person who loves God very much!!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]