Posted: 20-May-2005, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

Hello everyone,
I need some help with my truck. I have a 94 Chev 1/2 ton ext cab with gas and propane. Right now it's making this squealing noise and I don't know what it could be from. To me it sounds like it might be the serpentine belt but I'm not really sure. It only does it when it's warm but when I accelerate it stops.

Any suggests as what to do would be great!!!
Thanks!!
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 20-May-2005, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Sounds like the Serp belt to me. There should be a tensioner pulley somewhere allong the line (not sure where) so loosen that bolt and retighten it wile pulling the pulley as tightly against the belt as possible, (without stretching the belt too much). It may help to know what motor you have, and if there's AC. I imagine the tensioner would still be in the same place with AC, but you never know. GM stopped making it easy when the trucks went to FI.

Does it happen when you turn the wheel? Turn on AC? Does it go away if you rev it up in park?

When was the last time you changed the belt? If it's stretching when it warms up, it's probably pretty warn out. Look for cracking on the bends, or freying. If that goes on you while you're heading down the highway, you're SOL. No power steering, no water pump, no fan (which won't matter if the pumps not turning), and no alternator. Your battery will probably die before your engine overheats, if your'e lucky.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Moon Child 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 01:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

My truck is a 4.3L with AC. I notice that the noise only goes away when it's accelerating or being at a steady rev in park or stopped at a light. It still does it when I turn a corner or when the AC is on.

I know that the serpentine belt is pretty tight since my mechanic and I just changed the water pump in the truck about three weeks ago and it looked alright. It wasn't really frayed or cracked so we didn't change it. My boyfriend picked up a new tensioner today so were going to see if that works. I'll probably be able to get it changed next week since my mechanic and my boyfriend are going up to his dad's this weekend and I just pray nothing happens since I have the truck all weekend! I might just go a bit insane from the noise but other than that I hope it makes it!! wallbash.gif LOL

Thanks for your help Oldraven, I appreciate it!!! cheers.gif
PMEmail Poster                
doontheroad 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 02:20 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

female

Hi: Sometimes even a new belt will squeak... you can purchase a can of belt spray for a few dollars at any parts store, and that will stop the noise for a while. Just apply it with the engine running so the entire belt is covered.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Ah. It may even be the tensioner pulley bearing, if it happens at a steady speed along the rev range, but not while accellerating. Let us know if the new pulley does the trick. smile.gif
Moon Child 
Posted: 21-May-2005, 11:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Well my mechanic looked at the truck this morning after I dropped off my boyfriend off at his place and he said it's not the tensioner since it wouldn't make that loud of a noise. So he looked at the truck and kind of fiddled with it and he says that it's a vacuum leak. He said that the air filter is plugged and it's sucking air from where ever it can that's why it's making the noise. So I have to take back the $70 tensioner that I didn't even need!!! But on the good side it's a lot cheaper fix!!! rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 22-May-2005, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Maybe the air filter. Vaccum leaks aren't always cheap. Depending on where, it may be quite expensive. Did the new Filter clear it up?
Moon Child 
Posted: 23-May-2005, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

The guys just got back tonight pretty late this evening so hopefully *crosses fingers* it'll get done in the next couple of days!!!
PMEmail Poster                
subhuman 
Posted: 11-Dec-2005, 11:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

Hi: Sometimes even a new belt will squeak... you can purchase a can of belt spray for a few dollars at any parts store, and that will stop the noise for a while. Just apply it with the engine running so the entire belt is covered.

I have yet to see any belt dressing that was intended for use on serpentine belts. If you read the fine print, they'll say that usage is not recommended.

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 30-Nov-2007, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Hi all,
I own a 1994 six cylinder ISUZU TROOPER. I bought it new, and it has been maintained well, and has always served me well. Anyway, it just turned 100,000 miles, and all though the tiers and the shocks are relatively new. Iím now looking at investing some $3000 to fix exhaust system, the main power window switch, and the left turn directional switch. (You know it gets pretty cold having to use hand signals when ever youíre making a left turn) Iím also probably looking at investing some more money into it, in about 20,000 miles, to replace the timing belt. Other then that, itís still clean, and it was named correctly, because it runs like a Trooper. In fact, itís one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. So what do you think, should I fix it, and try to get another few years out of it, (which Iím leaning towards, because Iím hoping that there will be a more ďenvironmentally designed SUVĒ to replace it with, within the next couple of years), or, should I just replace it now?
Thanks,
JC

--------------------
Weíre all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and thatís just what youíll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

Iíll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

Itís a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If youíre looking for a new experience, donít hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 30-Nov-2007, 02:28 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

It sounds to me like you really like the truck. That being the case, why get rid of it? It'll cost a lot more to get a new one than to fix this one, and in a few years all the new hybrids hitting the market right now will be affordable used.

If you're happy with it now, you'll be even happier with it running perfect. wink.gif
John Clements 
Posted: 05-Dec-2007, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 30-Nov-2007, 03:28 PM)
It sounds to me like you really like the truck. That being the case, why get rid of it? It'll cost a lot more to get a new one than to fix this one, and in a few years all the new hybrids hitting the market right now will be affordable used.

If you're happy with it now, you'll be even happier with it running perfect. wink.gif

Thanks for verifying my thinking, not so oldravan. For me these decisions often come down to coin flip. Hope all is well with the new baby.
Thanks again,
JC
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic Radio is a SonixFM radio station that is based in Canada. SonixFM and SonixCast provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
© Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Ye O' Celtic Pub, Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With Chrome (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medieval Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt