Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gerry Adams And The IRA, Unsolved Muder of Jean McConville

Do you believe Gerry Adams was involved in the I.R.A. and murder of Jean McConville in 1972?
Yes, he was involved. [ 13 ]  [44.83%]
No, he had nothing to do with it. [ 5 ]  [17.24%]
We should leave it in the past. [ 11 ]  [37.93%]
Total Votes: 29
Guests cannot vote 
CelticRadio 
Posted on 26-May-2014, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,346 Gold!

user posted image

Most Americans no little of the troubles of Northern Ireland and the I.R.A. We watched during the late 70s and early 80s on the news each night about the bombings and the murders - but the reasons for it all and the discord between peoples of the same stock seemed to escape us.

Perhaps it is our youthful United States that makes the glue that binds us stronger than the hundreds and thousands of years of troubles between the people of Ireland, Scotland, England seem trivial and in the past. Letting go of our history, our culture and our way of life for a new life in America allowed us to let fall these ancient hatreds in the ocean and start anew.

Still, when one begins to read the story of Jean McConville (mother of 10) and how she was murdered by the I.R.A. for simply helping a wounded soldier - you cannot help but feel thankful that we live in the country of America where this would hopefully never happen.

Read the full story and timeline of Jean McConville's murder.

It was our own Boston College's Belfast project which uncovered the claimed link (but not proven) to Gerry Adams through the interviewing of former IRA members that gave this information under the acknowledgement that it would not be released until after their death.

And then the political machine begins to get involved focusing more on the peace process instead of the injustice of an unsolved murder as detailed in the Belfast Telegraph article as follows:

CODE

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair has said the arrest of Gerry Adams in connection with the murder of a Belfast widow left him highly concerned about the future of the peace process.

The Sinn Fein leader was questioned by the PSNI for four days at the start of the month about the abduction, murder and secret burial of mother-of-10 Jean McConville in 1972.

The move led to deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness suggesting that Sinn Fein would review its support for policing if Mr. Adams was charged.
I was worried about the impact on the process. I understand the reasons for it," Mr. Blair told Irish Central in Washington.

It is important we recognize that you can't overcome the past by ignoring it, but we do have to make sure we are focused on the future. These are very, very difficult questions bound to come up from time to time.

Should we not be worried more about justice for Jean McConville and the suffering of her 10 orphaned children then sacrificing justice for political harmony. When justice is given to all it can have only positive benefits, such as during the Boston Massacre when John Adams defended the British soldiers that everyone wanted to hang and proved they did not fire indiscriminately.

So, that is our monthly Poll question. Albeit a very controversial question and one in which we hope will educate about the troubles of the past in Ireland and how they are still effecting people today.

It is not our intention to draw any conclusions about the statements made, only to bring to the light this very interesting and not often known topic to the people in America that research the history and lessons of the Isles.

And as Americans we all love an unsolved murder mystery and what the truth may actually hold in this case...

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
HMKH 
Posted on 29-May-2014, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Selje, Norway

male

Who can prove that Gerry Adams was involved in the murder of Jean McConville , there exists no clear evidence that he had something to do with the murder , and there is no clear evidence that he had nothing to do with it . This will unfortunately be one of many cases where you never get punished those who were behind the murder . The IRA, the Loyalist forces and the unionist forces are responsible in many tragic cases where people got killed in a war that did not receive any victor . The important thing in Ireland and Northern Ireland today is that we must work to bring peace and reconciliation so that we can put this behind them. It will probably take many generations before all the bad blood will disappear , if they at all will vanish any time . We who stand on the outside must do what is possible so that we can influence the authorities in England and Ireland to come to agreements so that those who are guilty of war crimes are punished , by coming to such openness will be able to create better conditions and have solved many murders and other crimes that will never be solved without the willingness to be open .
We can only hope that the label in 2016, where it marks the 100 years anniversary of the Easter uprising could happen in a united and not least a reconciled country .
PMEmail Poster               
MacFive 
Posted on 29-May-2014, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #105
191,223 Gold!

I agree that the bad blood and the centuries old hatreds need to be put aside.

My daughter recently visited Ireland and really was shocked upon visiting Northern Ireland and seeing a wall divide a city between Catholics and Protestants. One side lived the Catholics and the other side lived the Protestants. Separate schools, not allowed to marry each other, etc.

The tour guide explained there had been progress because 25 years ago you could not even stand at the location and observe without possibly coming under bodily harm.

Of course this is a kind of racism and I have experienced shades of it from both sides and quietly observed the views and feelings expressed.

Perhaps this is a component of the Northern Ireland troubles.

It would be great to get the transcripts of these IRA members who volunteered this information, but those are probably not made available to the public.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted on 13-Jun-2014, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,346 Gold!

Well our Poll for May attracted a healthy response with about an equal number of people saying that Gerry Adams was involved in the death of Jean McConville and half saying that he was not involved or it should be left in the past.

With Northern Ireland still divided today and "Peace Walls" still dividing cities in Belfast and Derry it's hard to imagine that these old division will go away atleast in this generation.

For tourist visiting Belfast and actually seeing the so called "Peace Wall" it really is an eye opening event. The guardian reports that,

"Northern Ireland's separation walls are highly unusual among such barriers around the world because most of those living closest to them continue to support their existence in successive opinion polls, mainly because of fear of attack from the community on the other side."

Actually the presence of divisions of people through out the world is not highly unusual - even in highly developed countries like America there exists the invisible walls that separate people both economically, background and race.

Hopefully someday the troubles of the world will be in the past and truly the world will see itself as one people working toward the betterment of all....
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
DanT 
Posted on 18-Jun-2014, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

male

We should always seek Justice for any individual or persons, and do what can be done for the survivors of Ms. McConville.

The danger lies in a focus on one person or event. The fight for the liberation and reunification of Northern Ireland has spawned wrongs and grievances on both sides. Those must stop.

The fight for unity, however, must continue. I stand for peace, but I believe the British should be pressed to see their invasion of Northern Ireland for what it was and is: a wrong needing to be righted. It is the standing presence of that invasion, and the resulting scar on the Irish isle, that is a wrong to be erased. Britain should withdraw from Northern Ireland, the wall torn down, and those who want repatriated to the British Isle.

Those who want to stay should be treated with respect and granted equal rights under restored Irish rule. That will be a major price to pay for Irish who have long suffered for their faith in God, Christ and his church, but everyone must give something if the wound is to heal instead of festering a bloody infection.

Similarly, it is time for the British to turn over rule of the Falkland Islands to the Argentine. This would heal yet another wound.

The British have played a key role during both World Wars, sustaining the loss of many lives, civilian and military, to preserve not only their own but the world's freedom. That must be acknowledged. But they must see the harm their colonialism and expansionism perpetrated and make amends. Let the restoration and the healing begin.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]