Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Scottish Independence, Scotland leaving after 307 years

Should Scotland leave England and become an independent nation?
Yes. [ 116 ]  [82.27%]
No. [ 25 ]  [17.73%]
Total Votes: 141
Guests cannot vote 
Robert Phoenix 
Posted on 13-Sep-2014, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Well Groundskeeper Willie from "The Simpsons" has chimed in with his response!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6vDzf-wSbk

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
MacFive 
Posted on 15-Sep-2014, 05:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #105
191,223 Gold!

Here is an open letter piece addressed "Dear Scotland." I think it addresses a lot of the same issues and concerns that Canada experienced with the Quebec Independence movement. Having been there during that time period, it was not even safe to be an English speaker in some parts.

While emotionally a free and independent Scotland seems like a wonderful thing, ripping apart the United Kingdom at its heart seems like it would put Scots at a disadvantage and diminished influence over the wrong term. As I have heard many people from England saying their "Grandmother" is from Scotland - it seems the two countries share more in common than not. 300 years is an awefully long time....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debat...rticle20579017/

CODE

Dear Scotland,

You probably don’t know this, but you made us. The first European to cross the continent and reach our Pacific coast was Alexander Mackenzie – a Scot. Our first prime minister and chief Father of Confederation, Sir John A. Macdonald? Scottish. So too our second PM. Our country’s national dream, a railroad from sea to sea, was realized in 1885 when Sir Donald Smith, head of the Canadian Pacific Railway, drove The Last Spike at Craigellachie – a place named after a village in his homeland. The man who did the most to create Canada’s system of universal public health care, and chosen as “The Greatest Canadian” in a national survey of CBC viewers, was Tommy Douglas. He was born in Falkirk. The thistle and the red lion rampant on our national coat of arms identify you as one of our four founding nations; half of our provincial flags contain a Saint Andrew’s cross; and one of our provinces – Nova Scotia – is named after you. There are said to be more pipers and pipe bands in Canada than in Scotland. And nearly five million Canadians identify their ethnic origin as entirely or partly Scottish, which means we have almost as many Scottish-Canadians as you have people.

You made us – and as a gesture of thanks, we’d like to offer some advice on how to avoid unmaking yourself. This bit of history you are living right now? This referendum thing? We’ve already been through that. We may be a young nation but we have far more experience than you on this issue. We nearly tore our country apart. Twice.

Read the whole article, it is a very interesting take...

As we say in the States, United we stand - Divided we Fall...

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted on 17-Sep-2014, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,629 Gold!

If you read the Scottish press, there is virtually no influence from the movie Braveheart. Few make reference to the selling of Scotland by the "Parcel of Rogues". What motivates most is a desire for Scotland to be able to steer it's own course in the world. While England is busy privatizing the health service, Scotland is trying to keep the NHS intact. While the UK has a nuclear arsenal (which it maintains in Scotland), Scotland wants to be totally nuclear free. Many in Scotland opposed the UK's involvement with the US wars in the mid-east. In short there are myriad issues driving the desire of many Scots to break away. Not the least is the basic fact that Scotland is a very liberal country with left of center views while the UK is much more conservative politically. Scotland feels that their voice is not heard in Westminster.

Yes, the banks have come out in favor of the UK. Remember that they (the UK banks) were bailed out by Westminster after gross mismanagement caused an economic melt down. As long as suckling pigs are getting milk, they are not going to turn loose. But many folks feel it's time for the people to get some bacon out of the deal.

Scotland (many, we'll see after the vote how many) wants to join the world of nations as a free and independent country that is not subservient to anyone else's ambitions.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted on 17-Sep-2014, 07:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Last I checked the poll at Celtic life magazine had 94% at a yes vote. While not a poll coming strictly from Scotland it does seem to be the trend among most for the polls I've seen. Saw John Oliver's commmentary on the vote. Funny stuff and he does make some good points even though he is for a no vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YkLPxQp_y0
PMEmail Poster               
MacFive 
Posted on 17-Sep-2014, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #105
191,223 Gold!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Scotland will vote not to leave the U.K.

In fact, I am still of the personal opinion that this break-up would be bad for Scotland, England and the U.K. What this will do for the financial markets is terrible and could send the markets in a tailspin.

But seriously, Scots and English have a shared history and shared families from cross border marriages. Take Princess Diana and her two sons who share Scottish and English history.

I think for us Americans we like to think of Scotland as in medieval times and what it was like in the romanticized versions of history. We've always been freedom loving people.

Scotland does not have the industry nor finances to make this successful. To be honest with you the political forces in Westminister should have never allowed this question on the ballot. Would us as Americans ever allow Texas or California or Alaska to become independent nations.

In the end if Scotland does vote to leave the U.K., then it is very possible this could be the end of the U.K. It would just cumulate the self-destruction of the Western Powers in Europe and create a vacuum that will some day be filled by those bigger nations that have bigger plans to extend their influence beyond their borders - mainly Russia and China....

In the course of human history, all empires eventually come to an end and what we might be witnessing is the final blow to that great and brutal empire called the United Kingdom...
haynes9 
Posted on 18-Sep-2014, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

The discussion has been hearty, good and spirited! At least among those of us on the forums! I guess we will all find out how it goes today!

I have been on record as in favor of a "yes" vote, but whatever the Scottish people decide, that should be the end of it. I wish them well no matter what the outcome!

Now, about Northern Ireland . . .

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
MacFive 
Posted on 18-Sep-2014, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #105
191,223 Gold!

It has been very exciting because everyone is talking about it. At work, on the news and in the family.

We are heading up to the New Hampshire Highland Games this weekend and it will be interesting to hear if there is any discussion.

Guess we will know in several hours, certainly by morning what the vote results in. Even if the vote for no wins, I think Scotland will gain politically and financially with more say in the UK government.
togo 
Posted on 19-Sep-2014, 04:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Massachusetts

male

It's official. Scotland stays with the U.K.!

55% no votes
45% yes votes

The people of Scotland has made their choice. I was really torn myself with this issue. Great discussion and excitement for the past several months.
haynes9 
Posted on 19-Sep-2014, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Scotland has spoken! I'm a little disappointed personally, but this is what the process is all about. No violence, just make a choice!

I'll say this . . .things will never be the same! Maybe London will listen a little more closely after they have their collective sigh of relief!

Interesting to see the responses from Northern Ireland.

Have a great day everyone!!
MacEoghainn 
Posted on 20-Sep-2014, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

What many of the Yes faction here in the US forgot (or never knew) was this gem by Thomas Jefferson in our own Declaration of Independence:

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]