Haldur 
Posted: 20-Apr-2004, 05:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I honestly believe The Passion of the Christ was a wonderful film, don't get me wrong! My wife cried all the way through it; meanwhile, I was just mesmerized by the story. I feel that is a monumental film.

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I was so disappointed that I didn't get to see this movie! I heard recently that its set to come out on video at the end of this month! Beleive you me, I WILL have a copy of it in my library! smile.gif I can't wait to see it!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 11:08 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

For one thing, I thought the Passion of the Christ was not scriptural in parts. For one, to answer everyone's questions, the scene where the proposed being of Satan holding the baby at Christ's flogging is not in the Bible;neither is the scene at the beginning where Christ stomped his foot down on the head of the serpent. These are all artistic "additives" that Mel obviously added in, which given they are powerful, but sadly are not scriptural.
The construction of Jesus' cross was also not scriptural and the crow pecking at the thief's eye was totally unnecessary, besides being...you guessed it, non-scriptural. For anyone that has at least skimmed through the Gospels (I have read them most of my life) "The Passion of the Christ" is not a historical or Biblical representation of the Truth of Christ's ultimate sacrifice. I hope to not ruffle anyone's feathers on this; read the Bible closely, analyze its every word and you'll see what I mean! I believe that someone could have done a better job (and may some day, hopefully!). I feel it was a great movie for movies' sake, but not a true Christian or scriptural rendering of the most important event in the history of the world.

I know I am joining this discussion late, but I'd like to follow up on a few of Haldur's points.

First of all, we really don't have an extensive amount of historical detail on the life of Christ, so we use the Bible as our base and build from there. Of course the devil elements were added for dramatic effect, and you need to expect this in a movie. It certainly was a great metaphor for showing how Satan (evil) is at work very subtly in society. The crow wasn't unnecessary, I don't think, because there are lots of animal scavengers who take advantage of "free lunches" in nature, and certainly the Romans left dead people on crosses along their roads to discourage people from defying their power.

I am not sure how you can say that the movie wasn't a true Christian rendering of the event. Even the gospels disagree on details, so if Gibson's movie adds a few inconsequential details, you have to ask "Does this contradict or take away from the significance of the event?", obviously, there is nothing in the movie that gives us false information regarding Christ's death at Calvary.

Finally, the scene where Christ crushes the serpent's head in the garden is, in fact, in the Bible. It is a reference to the prophecy made in Genesis chapter 3.

I don't mean to sound argumentative here, but I just thought that one more viewpoint might be useful in this thread.

Good night,
Rory MacA
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 24-Aug-2004, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Rory! I hear what you are saying. While I thought the movie was very powerful and emotional, but my hubby who is a very strong Christian did not like the film at all because he just found all the violence unnecessary..............such as the baby with Satan and the vultures at the crucifixion scene. While certain things you metioned were not in the Bible, maybe there was some things that Mel Gibson was trying to say himself through the creation of his movie as well. All artists take artitistic liberties as they have something to say via their crafts. I took it to be just that.

Still a powerful film and I hope you get to see it soon Allen and anxious to hear your comments on it.
cori 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

I didn't get to see this movie, so I am just asking for info's sake. I have heard many people say that this was a Christian movie. Others say it is not biblically sound.

I am not sure how you can say that the movie wasn't a true Christian rendering of the event. Even the gospels disagree on details, so if Gibson's movie adds a few inconsequential details, you have to ask "Does this contradict or take away from the significance of the event?", obviously, there is nothing in the movie that gives us false information regarding Christ's death at Calvary.

As to that, I agree that minor differences are really incosequential, but tell me. Did this movie portray the reason for Christ's death? Or did it just portray the death itself. If it does not make clear that God sent His Son as a substitute payment for the penalty of death that we have all inflicted onourselves by sinning against God's commands, what is the point in making the movie? It can only be a witnessing tool, if it is biblically correct in this way. Otherwise, it's just another Hollywood film.

Just my opinion.
Leslie

--------------------

Leslie

~That would be an awfully big adventure.

~Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
PMEmail Poster                
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 07:30 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

Cori, that is an interesting and valid point you raise. I can't recall if there was much talk in the movie as to "why" Christ had to die. I guess part of the problem is that the movie is in English subtitles. However, if you are familiar with Christianity, as are most who will see this movie, then you easily get the point. I wouldn't take someone to see it if they didn't know a thing about Christ, that's for sure. But once someone has been introduced to the basics of Christianity, then this becomes a powerful tool to help drive the point home.

Many people seem to be taking pot shots at Gibson's artistic liberty. That, too, is an interesting issue, but I can't personally see what the fuss is about. He tried to make it graphic and gruesome because crucifixion was indeed that. Just like the burning at the stake of so-called heretics and witches during the Middle Ages. His scene with the Devil and the baby are also in keeping with what we know of Satan's character. If he tried to go on just the "facts" as stated in the Bible, he would not have been able to make a full length film, but a "short". Regardless, I think it was a fabulous film.

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 26-Aug-2004, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I have to agree with you totally, Rory! thumbs_up.gif
cori 
Posted: 26-Aug-2004, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

Rory,

Thanks for your input. I am definitely going to watch it, but I wasn't sure what to expect. Some of my family watched it and, even though they are Christian, they saw only the "cool" film. Then others watched it and grasped what they said were some awesome truths that had not occured to them before. It should prove a memorable movie.

PMEmail Poster                
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 26-Aug-2004, 11:43 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

I look forward to hearing your response, Cori.

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 12-Sep-2004, 12:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

QUOTE (cori @ 26-Aug-2004, 04:32 AM)
I didn't get to see this movie, so I am just asking for info's sake. I have heard many people say that this was a Christian movie. Others say it is not biblically sound.

As to that, I agree that minor differences are really incosequential, but tell me. Did this movie portray the reason for Christ's death? Or did it just portray the death itself. If it does not make clear that God sent His Son as a substitute payment for the penalty of death that we have all inflicted onourselves by sinning against God's commands, what is the point in making the movie? It can only be a witnessing tool, if it is biblically correct in this way. Otherwise, it's just another Hollywood film.

Just my opinion.
Leslie

I have to agree with you Leslie (coming in late here I know).

However, in spite of the dodgy theology, it did bring home Christ's suffering for me more vividly, and for that I am grateful to Mel.

It's like most films, powerful, but the Book is better.

BTW, the Gospels are in perfect harmony with each other, they present four accurate views of events from a differing angle. God has given us in the four views a complete and perfect picture.

--------------------
Ciarda Lili 
Posted: 12-Sep-2004, 06:36 AM
Quote Post

Child of the Dark Lily
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: NorthEastern Pennsylvania, US

female

I just finished watching the film last night. And to echo everyone it was a great artistic film.

But each person who watches it will find their own meaning for it and I think that's the way Gibson wanted. To find in yourself the meaning of God's sacrifice of his only son.

--------------------
Ciarda Lili

Always live for today.

Growing old is mandatory -- Growing up is optional.
PMEmail Poster               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 12:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

I haven't seen this movie yet. I didn't think I wanted to watch it at the theater, but in the privacy of my own home. My daughter bought the DVD last week and now my son has it. I'm next on the list smile.gif

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Spradley 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

I finally got to see it laugh.gif

That was the most intense and moving film I've ever seen.

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]