Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:01 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

QUOTE (Jaxom @ Jan 23 2004, 01:03 PM)
Swanny and RavenWing: thanks for your help... will look into it.
Pekery: the film I refer to is a British film where islaners in a remote Scotish Isle keep to the Pagen ways and Edward Woodward plays a young Police man sent to the Isle to investergate a disaperience of a young girl. He ends up being placed inside a Wicker man along with various Animals and crops then the whole thing is set on fire. The reason he is chosen is because he is from off the island so will not be missed by the comunity, he also happens to be a virgin. So fits the bill for sacrifice by the islanders. cant remember if Richard Chamberland is in it. Sorry
Jax

yep That would be Wicker Man with Richard Harris

I have yet to see the movie. does any one now how I can get a copy of it???

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:05 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Jaxom @ Jan 23 2004, 01:03 PM)
Swanny and RavenWing: thanks for your help... will look into it.
Pekery: the film I refer to is a British film where islaners in a remote Scotish Isle keep to the Pagen ways and Edward Woodward plays a young Police man sent to the Isle to investergate a disaperience of a young girl. He ends up being placed inside a Wicker man along with various Animals and crops then the whole thing is set on fire. The reason he is chosen is because he is from off the island so will not be missed by the comunity, he also happens to be a virgin. So fits the bill for sacrifice by the islanders. cant remember if Richard Chamberland is in it. Sorry
Jax

I always KNEW being a virgin was bad for you....... tongue.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:09 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

Hmmm, makes you wonder why the Christians push for staying virginal until your married (human sacrifice going to resurface?) LOL I'm just kidding!

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Raven 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Angel Whitefang (Rider) @ Jan 23 2004, 01:55 PM)
First off, being a former Mormon and being raised in that specific religion , Mormons ARE Christians.

A christian by definition is any one believeing in Christ.

I didn't mean to open this big can of worms see all previous posts complete with qualifications and explanations. tongue.gif plus reasons for bringing these others up.

Using the Judeo-Christian meaning for Christian as defined by the new/old testaments combined (hence Judeo-Christian) one who follows Christ not just believes in. Although I do agree that Mormons do call themselves Christians - Mainstream Christianity(see before mentioned group) does not classify them that way. That's all I'm saying. I didn't make the classifications but I still believe there are more than 2. i.e Pagans/Christians - and probably as a whole pagans have more of a comonality between themselves than Mormons, Presbytirians, Catholic .....oh my the list goes on biggrin.gif

But what I think Peckary was really asking is what do the individual people/pagans on this board believe?

I'm interested also....sorry that my comments have sidetracked this so much.

Peace

Mikel - My uncle is a Mormon

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

Ok what do I believe? This could take a while.

Blargh I am having trouble explaining this.

I will start with deity. I do not "worship" deities like most Chrisitans do with the Christian God. Instead, I see them as friends and guides. I honor them as I would honor an elder. I have not come to a concrete belief on whether all deities are aspects of the same, or are completely separate entites. Either

I believe in reincarnation. I believe that all living things are connected. I believe in spirit guides and divination. I believe that spirituality is best practices by the way you live your life, rather than setting aside a day to practice.

If anyone needs clarification, please feel free to ask. Also, if anyone as a specific question please feel free to ask. I will be happy to explain. smile.gif

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (Jaxom @ Jan 23 2004, 10:41 AM)
personally I would like to embrace a pagan belief structure. the whole maxim of do no evil and love the earth, sounds like warm but good karma to me.
However the film "the Wicka man" sticks in my head. I saw it as a child. (many moons ago) the thought of human sacrifice keeps on jabbing away in the back of my brain.
Modern pagan practice seem to have no basis in sacrifice of either animals or humans. However voodoo seems to still have such sacrifice practices. the whole Satan worship and Occult sects give me the eibe-gebies. I really must learn more about pagan practice.
Could anybody suggest some good reading or a good place to start.
Hopefully nothing too deep to start off with.
thanks Jax

I know the film *very* well! And, it stars Christopher Lee, as Lord Summer Ilse.

Getting to your "Jabbing"s of sacrifice that taunt yer brain. Yes, it *is* something that happened. There is no hiding that fact/reality. And yes, in voodoo, Sasante'ri and other religions it happens. But most of the time the sacrifice its self is taken out of context. Just that there was a sacrifice using an animal. No, more information is usually ever given. But, in the case of the former practices listed these animals are prayed over( ie the ritual) then sacrificed ( killed) then (8 out of 10 )times prepared to be eaten. Not so scary when you break it down. Just a different progression of things, most christian beliefs are used to. Which is-- Go hunting for food, killing food, cooking said food and then praying over food.... Not really to different when it is put like that.

There have been sacrifices all over the world for religious purpous'. Some human, some animal.... it is not a large practice anymore. Those that I have meet over the years that have/do sacrifices use the animal as an offering to their god. For what ever reason..... (and why let a perfectly good chicken go to waste.....eat that thing wink.gif ) But you are asking god for what ever, thanking the animal for its life, then using it to feed yourself, and others. There is nothing wrong with that. I find that far more respectable to the animal than going to the market and buying it in a styropfoam container. We have seperated ourself as a culture from the land so much that these practices seem so foriegn. When people today go and buy meat at a market, the animals sacrifice is never even thought of. Heck, most people today haven't even been on a farm....... Sacrifice used to be a daily occurance in that aspect..... Look at the appreciation the Amish have for their livestock. They know that with out it, they could not provide for their families...they are still connected to the land.

And human sacrifice we as a race have learned it is not nessesary. One would hope anyway.... wink.gif

But, I am starting to ramble.....

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

That was very well stated, Jason. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Jan 23 2004, 03:28 PM)

I believe that spirituality is best practices by the way you live your life, rather than setting aside a day to practice.

You hit the nail on the head, deary!!!!!
Going to church/ritual/temple etc....( worshiping services that's non denominational!!!!!!) every week doesn't make you a religious person if you are a jerk the rest of the time... And are concernd with only your self.
PMEmail Poster                
barddas 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 01:38 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacWillow

male

Thank you Mary, mary.... smile.gif

I did a whole 2 hour radio program on this topic years ago! The info has always stuck with me. Thankfully... wink.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

The wicker man is a great film.. I watched it when I was about 14 or something and it really frightened me...

Anyway, Jason, weren't there human sacrifices done in Europe (Teutons & Gauls) in really bad times?

I know that shortly before Thera was blown up by a vulcanic eruption the Islanders actually sacrificed their own children.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Jaxom 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Wales

male

Thank you bardas. You have put it all into perspective for me.

having read the bible for a number of years thought I would mention the following.

Abraham was prepared to sacrifice his son isaac (scollars belive issac to have been a man rather than a young boy at the time) to god. He finally sacrificed a ram that was caught in a bush.

The Jews were commanded to sacrifice animals to atone for their sins.

Mary and Joseph made a sacrifice after the birth of Jesus, on his behalf.

Mary made a sacrifice of doves after her giving birth in order to be cleansed.

and the ultermate sacrifice Jesus. Put to death in order to fulfill religious prophesy.

I think I must have joined cloud cuckoo land to turn a blind eye to those sacrifices and find difficulty understanding pagan sacrifice.

How my eyes seem to see clearly now that I am approaching it from a different view point.

I apologize for any earlier blindness on my part.

Oh and by the way Christians still sacrifice every year. its called Harvest Festival in Britan. Food and produce are layed at the alter in the church to be offered up to God in thanks.

How easy it is to be blind to the churches history and origins.

Jax
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

hehe, I'm definitly not blind to it, I had to go to "Ernte Dank Fest" mass every year (that's the harvest festival, it's not only existing in Britain but also in Germany and other parts of europe) and the things given are called "Opfergaben" or simply "Opfer" which translates to both "Sacrifice" and "Victim"
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Maybe we should start our OWN festival and have revelry and sacrifices of beer beer_mug.gif (after passing it through our kidneys) and virgins naughty.gif.

jester.gif
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 05:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Just as long as no harm comes to any monkeys king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 23-Jan-2004, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Jan 23 2004, 06:49 PM)
Maybe we should start our OWN festival and have revelry and sacrifices of beer  beer_mug.gif (after passing it through our kidneys) and virgins  naughty.gif.

jester.gif

You quote" want to pass beer thought our kidneys and virgins "... what is with that? Let it go through my kidneys only... let the virgins get their own !!! wink.gif

Honestly ..what is with this virgin thing anyway? In all my experiences with virgins they lacked any knowledge of the act and made it very difficult to arrive at a agreeable conclusion for all involved! Give me a good old lady with experience anytime! wink.gif

This is being added minutes after my original post:

Why do we as men feel we need to be the First through the gates?
I was a virgin until an older experience woman lead the way... I am not ashamed to ay that either... long live the experienced!!!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]