Posted: 30-May-2008, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

I just found out that I have developed type II diabetes. I'm not upset about the situation. It is just one more of life's little obstacles. Other than the obvous steps of not drinking (sob) and getting more exercise, does anybody know of good cookbooks for this situation? I can see that I need more information.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 30-May-2008, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 30-May-2008, 04:07 AM)
I just found out that I have developed type II diabetes. I'm not upset about the situation. It is just one more of life's little obstacles. Other than the obvous steps of not drinking (sob) and getting more exercise, does anybody know of good cookbooks for this situation? I can see that I need more information.

I have been diabetic for over 20 years. I started with the "exchange list" for meal planning and still use that today in conjunction with "carb counting". If you can find the "Joslyn Diabetes Handbook" on the net pick it up. It has been out of print for a long time. Dr Joslyn died. It contains a wealth of information. As for cooking, three things are paramount. Fats, carbohydrates and sugars. There ia a brand of artificial sweetener for cooking. My kids made a sugar cream pie with it and it was great. I regularly see cook books near the pharmacy in my drug store. Find one that gives you the portion size, and the grams of fat sugar and carbohydrates per serving on each item you prepare. Watch the same items on packaged foods.

The dietician told me that I should not feel "restricted". I could eat anything as long as I maintained my daily carb and fat allowances. I could have Ice cream but with that I used all my fat allowances and one or two of my other carbs. I could not go out for a night of drinking but could have one or two drinks as long as I gave up sufficient meal carbs to cover it. This wasn't recommended on a regular basis either.

When I started, I had to plan in advance and carry my lunch. It is second nature now. I eat out or buy packaged foods and I automatically determine the portion size I can eat and separate it from "my" part. When finished I get the plate off the table to avoid temptation.

If you have not seen a dietician yet, it is worth doing. I got a mini cook book and a list of values for meals different chain restaurants (including fast food outlets) from mine.

Diabetes requires a major change of lifestyle and a lifetime of commitment. After you get the parameters fixed in your mind it becomes easier. You have to be firm in your commitment but the occasional error isn't a catastrophe.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 30-May-2008, 06:35 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

maisky sorry to hear of this news. There's many cookbooks out there here's a link to a site that may help. There's that magic E word again we here about how we should exercise every day. I hope you will let us know how things are going for you.

Patch I am glad you have yours in control. I think living with this would be very difficult. You have so much good information. Is the sweetner Splenda? Just curious. I know nothing about this disease. I hope to learn more from all of you.

Cook Book

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 30-May-2008, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 30-May-2008, 01:35 PM)
maisky sorry to hear of this news. There's many cookbooks out there here's a link to a site that may help. There's that magic E word again we here about how we should exercise every day. I hope you will let us know how things are going for you.

Patch I am glad you have yours in control. I think living with this would be very difficult. You have so much good information. Is the sweetner Splenda? Just curious. I know nothing about this disease. I hope to learn more from all of you.

Cook Book

Slainte

The sweetener is the "bulk" cooking sweetener made by Sweet & Low. You are right about the exercise. It will lower your glucose readings for hours after you are done. Weight loss is a great help too. I am looking for my diabetes book to get the exact title. I forgot to add, If you are taking pills or shots and you over eat you WILL gain weight quickly which makes the diabetes worse. I know as I was there and did that early on. Also, one should check their glucose levels as often as possible. (at least 4 times a day.) The ADA recommends 1 1/2 to two hours after meals and at bed time. You can get free meters by calling the manufacturer. Check the display in the drug store. If cost is a factor, check with a pharmacist to find which manufacturer has the least expensive strips.

WOW, I can ramble!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 19-Jun-2008, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

maisky how are you doing? I found out that the quarterback of my favorite football team has type 1 diabetes. "better late than never lol" Any type of this disease is so very dangerous.

Patch- thanks for all of this interesting information..hope you doing well.

I was doing some reading on the subject and this helped me to figure out the difference between the two of them. Let us know how your doing.

Type II diabetes, often brought on by poor nutrition or obesity and involves a breakdown in the body's ability to process the insulin it makes. For that reason, improved diet and exercise can often improve the condition and lead to the reduction or elimination of the need for insulin injections.

Type I is an autoimmune disease in which the body attacks itself and destroys its insulin-making cells. There is no behavior that "causes" it; doctors believe it is a genetic condition often triggered by an environmental stress, such as a virus. It is more typically diagnosed in childhood but in recent years it has become increasingly common for people age 25 or older to become symptomatic. Those who suffer from Type I are completely insulin dependent, and there is nothing that can be done to change that fact.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 13-Oct-2008, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Here is something interesting -- and also, a ring of the chimes from the "natural" world of medicine, Apparently cinnamon, either powdered or in stick form, has several good effects. It lowers blood pressure, and has an inhibiting effect on the organisms that cause bladder infections and thrush (which is yeast), but also it is said to help reduce insulin resistance, and so it is good to add it to a type-II diabetes diet. You can even put the powder in capsules (or a spoonful of applesauce) and just take it like a med.
Here's an article with some professional references:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition...amonbenefit.htm

I was looking for a natural remedies thread, and I didn't see one right off. OK to add one, Rindy?
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 17-Oct-2008, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi stoirmeil why of course it's ok to add one. I knew I liked Cinnamon for a reason. lol. Very interesting thank you for adding this link I am book marking this one! thumbs_up.gif

Do you notice how we go back to natural things?

I agree with your stoirmeil natural remedies are the only way to go if possible.
Always check with your health care professional.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Dec-2008, 12:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

sad.gif Well I see nobody's posted here in awhile so that must mean everybody's doin' pretty good... but I'm a mess! I was diagnosed a week ago with Type 2 diabetes and wow did my world ever change. QUICK. My numbers were bad: blood sugar 309 and a score of 10 on that A1C blood test thingie. The doc put me on glucophage. The new diet and restrictions were overwhelming: no sweet tea ("The house wine of the South"), no 'taters, no processed sugar, no white bread, and worst of all, no pasta. I swear I can walk away from cakes and pies and cookies, but tell me I can't have pasta and its enough to shove me over the edge. rolleyes.gif Is there such a thing as a Pastaholic?

Just trying to comprehend all the info and stats and grams and carbs was mind-boggling to say the least. I got so down for about three days, overwhelmed with all the info and changes... and the hunger, like 1 1/2 hrs. after a tiny meal it would kick in and make me miserable until the next minuscule meal. I also felt such guilt over bringing on the onset of the disease by years of eating badly and way too much.

But a week has gone by, and this morning I went back to the docs for a week review to see how my numbers are and so I could learn about the glucosameter finger-sticking gizmo. I felt like total crap waiting for the doc since with no breakfast I was really hungry & actually light-headed... but they weighed me and shazam, I'd lost 9 pounds in one week. Nine pounds! That put a smile on my pale face. And my numbers were better: sugar down from 309 to 182 which is still high, but good progress for one week according to the doc. We talked a long time, and he gave me strict instructions to keep up the good work - but SNACK between am & afternoon, and in the early evening. Said that'd keep me from feeling so awful... and told me what snacks were okay.

So, I'm polishing off a salad right now and feeling less crappy and actually a bit encouraged. Diabetes runs in my family on dad's side: he's got it and his mama & all her sisters did too. I was doomed to get it and here it is... but at least I can take action to lose weight and eat right and get back to walking and it'll actually help. Y'all say a little prayer for me to keep my determination up! This ain't gonna be easy.

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Dec-2008, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Siobhan Blues I am so saddened to hear this about you. I'm glad you found out though before it was to late. 9lbs in one week is a lot. I will say a prayer for you. A lot of folks have and live with this you can too! ((((Hugs)))

Let us know how your doing with your diet. Please. And do get back to your walking. If it helps post it on the workout and diet thread to help you keep track, or here is fine as well. I know you can do this SB. Like you said it won't be easy but it's not a choice, you have too.

P.S. I think I am a Pastaholic? If there isn't a name for it there should be.This has made me think twice about eating it though.

I hope everyone else is doing alright.

Slainte, Rindy.
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 17-Dec-2008, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Thanks for the encouragement, darlin'. I've got my mojo workin' again, hands on hips and chin in the air. This censored.gif disease isn't going to get the best of me.

The horses are going to be so amused by my walking around and around their pasture. They'll think I'm daft!

PM               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 09-Jan-2009, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Hi all,

Here it is, a month after my diagnosis and I'm happy to report that eventually the constant hunger does subside. rolleyes.gif I don't own weight scales so I don't know if I've lost more weight, but hubby says he can see the loss so next week when I go back to the doc's I'll hopefully have good news.

To my great relief, my numbers have finally come down with taking two Metformins a day. In the past three days, the morning numbers before breakfast were under 115 and the night numbers after dinner were under 130 (well last night's were 168 after a dinner at Cracker Barrel! Shame on me.) Hopefully this means my system is adjusting and managing the blood glucose better.
And one thing that helped those numbers get low too was spending a lot of time in my 'happy place' - the studio. Just cleaning the studio, adding books to the bookshelf, and working on two new drawings really calmed me inside... I think the lack of stress had a lot to do with the numbers. 'Cause one night when my numbers were over 200 I'd had a busy day at work and angry words with my dad that afternoon!

But I still don't have much energy, and feel so wasted after work on the two days a week I'm a church secretary. Don't know what to do about that, or if anything will make a difference. Dad, who is diabetic too, says that's just par for the course. We'll see.

SB
PM               
Rindy 
Posted: 09-Jan-2009, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi SB I'm so happy that your numbers came down and your appetite slowed down. Now what do you suggest to slow mine? I am cutting back on sugar. I over loaded over the holidays.

It's wonderful to hear you've been working in your studio. I would love to see some of your drawings. I don't have Diabetes but I agree with you about the stress. It will definetly make you ill in a lot of different ways. I was reading where you took St. Johns Wort. I hope that's not what is making you have no energy. It's something to think about. So sorry your so tired though. I hope that you will let us know what your doctor says. Good luck!

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 14-Jan-2009, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Is St. Johns wort supposed to affect energy levels?? I'd not heard that... I've taken it for years to help me with mood swings (brought on by menopause plus headstrong teenagers rolleyes.gif )

Just got back from the Dr. office, and I'd only lost 3 pounds since the last visit a couple of weeks ago. I was very disappointed, 'cause I don't eat much now and don't know how I'm going to eat less! sad.gif Doc thought the weight loss was fine, but I have a goal of losing 30 pounds or more; that's not going to be easy. Or realistic, probably.
Doc was very pleased with my numbers and that my blood pressure was lower too... they're going to let me know about the cholesterol numbers tomorrow which he says he expects to be good. He says I'm doing very well, and will not have to prick my finger twice a day for much longer. I do hate poking my finger twice a day.

If you're really trying to cut down on sugar, its easy enough to stop adding it to food and such, but sugar is added to so many foods we buy that it takes some serious label-reading to find the hidden sugars. You also have to watch carb intake 'cause the body processes carbs like it does sugar to turn it into energy. So white bread, potatoes, and pasta need to be eliminated or reduced a lot too! That's what I miss so much, spaghetti and pasta alfredo... frusty.gif
PM               
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

HI SB. Did you ask your doctor about the St. Johns Wort? It can cause you to be sleepy and tired. It may be worth it to ask.

I think it's great that you lost 3lbs! The pounds will come off. It may take awhile as it did to gain it. I am glad you don't have to prick your finger twice. I think that is the main reason I don't give blood. I don't mind the needle in the arm but the finger prick hurts. And your blood pressure is down that's fantastic. Thanks for the advice on the carbs..they are my down fall as well.

Keep us posted how things are going and keep up the great job your doing! thumbs_up.gif

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Faerydreamer 
Posted: 21-Jul-2009, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

Realm: Coal Country, PA

female

Well, I am another one to fall to the diagnosis of diabetic. I am currently on 500mg of Metformin twice a day. My blood sugar was 135 this morning. It is 162 right now and I had some Pepsi with dinner. I think that this happened because I have become a lot less active since we moved. I do not walk up to my friend's house anymore. I do not go out and run errands with her either. Most of the people that I live near are older or work. I am hoping that I can get my son to have a chore of taking Mom for a walk.

I am not surprised by the diagnosis at all. I was the last one in my family to be diagnosed. My maternal grandmother was diabetic for a good portion of her life. I am watching my sugar intake...decreasing the soda and candy. I have been using Stevia to sweeten my drinks. I do not like any of the artificial sweeteners. I can get the Stevia at a bargain from Puritan's Pride. I prefer to do natural treatment versus all these drugs. I hate taking a handful of pills twice a day.

--------------------
Lady Faerydreamer

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]