Posted: 14-Jan-2005, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I noticed this the other day, that from work it takes me several seconds per page (definately behind probably multiple corporate firewalls). From home though, the site tends to be quite snappy going through Rhiannon. Leads me to believe it has something to do with local network configuration rather than being an issue with the site. In addition, much of this time, stats on CRN look nominal. I'm figuring that, at at work, the speed issue is probably somewhere beyond my control.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
DonMagee 
Posted: 14-Jan-2005, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

Patiently waiting
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Delmar, NY

male

The issue with firewalls does not solve the problem for those of us who can not access the site at all. One of my home systems is behind a firewall, the other isn't. Both act the same with HTTP error 403, Access Forbidden. This is using RoadRunner ISP. Work is better though still slow using a T1 line. Turning of my home firewall (Norton) gives the same 403 error.

I have found that my old AOL account will allow access to the site using my home computer, so again it is not a function of my home firewall. It looks more as if it is what ISPs are allowed into celticradio.net. Strange that AOL can get in when RoadRunner can not. After all they are basically the same company.

PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 14-Jan-2005, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

male

The problem does appear to be ISP-related--I'm sending this from my cellphone using Sprint's Vision ISP. I also have no problem at work, using aT1. However, I get the error 403 when using frontiernet.net at home.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 14-Jan-2005, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I am still having to login several times... it tells me I don't have rights to use the site... until about the 3rd login....

I am using the same dial up I always have and the same username and password I always have.

This is getting very frustrating... I know you are doing everything you can, but I hope it resolves soon... we might be losing members because of it.

In my humble opinion.... " it it ain't broke don't fix it "... In my experience sometimes you can overwork a site and then it takes many days to recover.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
VetteGal 
Posted: 15-Jan-2005, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Des Plaines, Illinois

female

Hello,
I know you are doing everything to get the problems resolved but I still cannot get in unless I am using AOL still. IE gives me page not found, Mozilla and Netscape give me Forbidden. I think my Yahoo browser is forbidden as well. My AOL is still using the same DSL as the others, however, it is taking close to a minute for pages to load. This is very frustrating, and makes coming on to the site a real pain. I now only get on maybe once a day whereas before any chance I had I was on. Usually my computer was logged on for days at a time, I would just keep the page open, since it was easier to get updated that way. PLEASE HELP, I AM GOING THROUGH CELTICRADIO WITHDRAWALS!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Blessed Be.

Merry meet, merry part, merry meet again.

Do as ye will, but harm ye none.

Nikki
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 15-Jan-2005, 02:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

As far as the firewalls causing the problem with slow loads...I doubt if all of our companies made a recent change at the same time to cause CR to download slowly. Plus, the only site I have problems downloading slowly with is Celtic Radio. Sometimes backing up to an older configuration that worked well is the best thing...but then again, I'm not a programmer. unsure.gif

--------------------

user posted image
Shadows 
Posted: 15-Jan-2005, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Ok call me crazy... but all this trouble started when you put Google Ads on the site! They look for any key words to display an add that fits those words... now think of how many words we have just here in the forums...see my point?

I understand the need for advertising, but Google may not be the way to go.... not at the expense of speed and reliability.

I came to this conclusion today after looking at a post and the google ad had the same words as the post I was looking at.

It was stated elsewhere that Spammers and search engines ( Google ) were causing the slow down and running rampent on the site.

Just my 2 pence.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 15-Jan-2005, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Sounds about right to me... unsure.gif
CelticRadio 
Posted: 15-Jan-2005, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,601 Gold!

In our efforts to try and stop some of the spammers from accessing our site, we may have inadvertantly blocked access to some CelticRadio.net members. For those individuals effected, they should be able to access the site now. If not, please let me know.

It is true that the google ads will probably add to the load time of pages. It is also true that we are on some limited bandwidth due to our setup.

We will be adding the option to founder members to remove google ads so as to speed up the load time of the pages.

Later this year we hope to double the speed of our line and add another piece of hardward to filter out unwanted traffic!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 15-Jan-2005, 08:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Macfive @ 15-Jan-2005, 07:32 PM)

Later this year we hope to double the speed of our line and add another piece of hardward to filter out unwanted traffic!

yup, a hard ward might be just the ticket for us. Padding in the cells gets in the way of talking with the colorful little aliens.

smile.gif

Sorry, my friend. I just couldn't resist.
dundee 
Posted: 17-Jan-2005, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

been kinda following this article cause i too am having quite slow loads here at work behind a firewall....
however at home it loads very quickly? hmm come to think of it i have two firewalls in place there and it is still fast??? dam computers....

i do not see the google ads everyone refers to either.. are they the lil boxes up in the right and left corners of the page? i also have the google search bar up wondering if that might be slowing things down....

just sign me very confused dundee..... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 17-Jan-2005, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (dundee @ 17-Jan-2005, 12:11 PM)
been kinda following this article cause i too am having quite slow loads here at work behind a firewall....
however at home it loads very quickly? hmm come to think of it i have two firewalls in place there and it is still fast??? dam computers....

i do not see the google ads everyone refers to either.. are they the lil boxes up in the right and left corners of the page? i also have the google search bar up wondering if that might be slowing things down....

just sign me very confused dundee..... rolleyes.gif

yup, those boxes are the google ads.

I keep thinking the slow performance at work is due to however they have things configured. I don't have access to how they're configured so I can't say...

Home performance couldn't be snazzier, even during these traffic spikes I'm investigating...

At work, I don't know what kind of firewalls they're running over those multiple T3's, although I am pretty sure they use internal bandwidth throttling.

At home I've got my DSL feeding into iptables/NAT, and TOS set to favor UDP to protect the stream from being interrupted by high traffic... :/
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 18-Jan-2005, 01:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Yeah, but the problem with corporate firewalls didn't start happening until the site issues with CR. It doesn't matter how the businesses have their firewalls configured right now, because this wasn't an issue until a couple weeks ago. I had NO problems with load times either at home or work until CR started having issues. Now all of a sudden we're blaming the corporate firewalls. I seriously doubt that all of the businesses we work for suddenly made changes at the same time to cause CR to load slowly.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 18-Jan-2005, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I have a theory on something that may be causing an incompatability between CRN and our corporate networks. Further investigation pending.... Stand by.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 18-Jan-2005, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

female

Cool. cool.gif Just so it's something that can be changed! biggrin.gif wink.gif tongue.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]