Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Christian Music, Gospel, Contemporary or Celtic?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-May-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Raven @ May 7 2004, 02:38 PM)
I love "Awesome God" also. I was very blessed to meet Rich at the Indianapolis Indiana airport. (made a total goof of myself telling him how much I like his music) He was eating an Ice Cream cone and I didn't let him get a word in edge wise (that's just me) he just nodded and ate his ice cream regardless Rich seemed like a very nice person. Glad for him that he got to go home, sorry for the rest of us sad.gif

Raven! You are too funny! I laughed at this story cause that would have been me! Glad you had the opportunity to meet such a gifted man.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

QUOTE (Raven @ May 7 2004, 01:38 PM)
I love "Awesome God" also. I was very blessed to meet Rich at the Indianapolis Indiana airport. (made a total goof of myself telling him how much I like his music) He was eating an Ice Cream cone and I didn't let him get a word in edge wise (that's just me) he just nodded and ate his ice cream regardless Rich seemed like a very nice person. Glad for him that he got to go home, sorry for the rest of us sad.gif

Raven, I think one reason Rich Mullins didn't answer you is because he was just a simple man and never got into the hipe of being famous or enjoyed hearing praises of himself. Now if you would have started talking about the weather or helping children, etc.---you and he would have probably had a real long conversation. People I know met him after one of his concerts and he went their book store to sign autographs for 30 minutes, but when he saw a banner they had put up which read "Our God is Awesome" he totally freaked out and got all excited. He stopped signing autographs and played his hammerd dulcimer and sang for everyone in that tiny book store for two hours. He had just finished performing a two hour concert earlier. I was in college at the time, so I missed it. The lady I know said he was such a humble and down to earth person.

Peace,
Roisin angel_not.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Aragorn 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

That is one thing I loved about Rich, he's simplicity and down to earth nature. I loved to hear him play the hammer dulcimer, such an incredible instrument. I would definately agree with the fact he was one of the greatest poets of this generation. Each song was thought provoking and struck a cord deep in my soul. In the presence of Rich Mullins I would have babbled on too. biggrin.gif

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ May 8 2004, 12:21 PM)
Raven, I think one reason Rich Mullins didn't answer you is because he was just a simple man and never got into the hipe of being famous or enjoyed hearing praises of himself. Now if you would have started talking about the weather or helping children, etc.---you and he would have probably had a real long conversation. People I know met him after one of his concerts and he went their book store to sign autographs for 30 minutes, but when he saw a banner they had put up which read "Our God is Awesome" he totally freaked out and got all excited. He stopped signing autographs and played his hammerd dulcimer and sang for everyone in that tiny book store for two hours. He had just finished performing a two hour concert earlier. I was in college at the time, so I missed it. The lady I know said he was such a humble and down to earth person.

Peace,
Roisin angel_not.gif

I'm sure we would have had a long conversation had I not come up and attacked right after he took a huge bite of Ice cream (he was actually physically unabel to do more than nod and then it occured to me that he might like to eat his ice cream in peace tongue.gif ) He seemed genuinely glad to meet me.

Hee Hee - go figure

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

Besides being an awesome poet, Rich was also a wonderful writer of prose. I have a collection of his columns He wrote between 1991-1996 for Release magazine in his column entitled, "Play It Again." He had great insights and perspectives about faith, life, and human-nature. It is where I get my quotes in my signature.

Peace,
Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aragorn 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Sweet Roisin-Teagan, it is amazing what God accomplished through Rich during his stay here on Earth. I did not know he wrote columns, wow. Well, I guess that is why we are here, to learn. note.gif Step by step you lead me and I will follow you all of my days note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

So true Aragorn, so true! wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 21-May-2004, 02:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

I like Gospel music. I've always liked the old gospel. I've never cared much for the new christian rocknroll. I've always thought christian music should be different than what I would call worldly music.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 21-May-2004, 04:01 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

Hey, I love the old greats too.

But I want to remind you that a lot of the old hyms were set to the popular music of their day. Meaning they took some popular music sung in pubs and taverns and changed the words to religious verses. So during that time, many (religious) people were shocked at the blazen sacrelige.

But also love what God is doing new within his body in regards to Christian music. God created music, and He is very diverse---just look at nature.

Just my threepence worth,
Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 21-May-2004, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

female

Very good threepence worth!!!!
I love walking in the woods. As a child that is were I first met God and even now that is were I feel closest to Him.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-May-2004, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I am a big fan of Eden's Bridge. They are a Celtic band from the British Isles. Someone from my Gaelic group is wanting to sell her CD as it is not her cup of tea. so I offered to buy it from her! Can't wait to get it! It is a praise and worship Celtic CD. Cool, eh?
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 21-May-2004, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

aklassie, I agree that the old gospel songs are great, but I also see nothing wrong with the new music! Many times in the Psalms we are told to "sing a NEW song" unto the Lord! I think the Lord finds joy in our creativity, otherwise why would He inspire so many people to write new songs? It is only natural that we as humans would be inspired by the music that we hear around us. In Jesus' days He would have listened to Jewish hymns. As much as I love Amazing Grace and How Great Thou Art, they just weren't around in Jesus' days! And if Christian music didn't change with the times, we would not have such gems today! We would STILL be listening to the same Jewish-inpired music! So why should musical style suddenly stop and sound only like those songs written in the 1700s or 1800s or early 1900s?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put you down or your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours. There are types of Christian music out there that I don't like. I'm not crazy about the Christian Rap music or the music that sounds like heavy metal, or even Southern Gospel! But I am so glad that our God is big enough that He has inspired these people to write such music for those that DO like it! Otherwise, rather than seeking the Gospel inspired variety, those who like these types of music would just turn to the worldly variety and forget all about God! Rather than hearing a rap song about the love of God, they could be listeneing to something like "Cop Killer!"

Just MHO.... smile.gif

Your Brother In Chrsit

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 21-May-2004, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (ChuckDenton @ Mar 21 2004, 10:36 PM)
I don't know what made me do it, but i was day dreaming today after Mass and wondered what happened to all of the beautiful OLD OLD Marian Hymns that we used to sing when we were in May Crowning processions in the late 50's and 60's? You know what I mean, the ones that made your grandma and mom cry? I always relate those songs with the smells of spring, lilacs and hyacinth. I also remember my class mates girls with fancy white dresses and communion veils, and my buddies and me with our white long-sleeved shirts and red ties, smelling of Vitalis.

Anyway now that I've layed out the picture...(I'm OLD!)

I searched the Internet and found some MIDIs with some old songs that I'd forgotten: "On this Day O Beautiful Mother" "Tis the Month of Our Mother" and "Bring Flowers of the Rarest.." What a walk down memory lane it was!

Anybody else remember those?
Chuck

I'm getting in way late in this thread...

I guess I prefer the more traditional hymns like "Amazing Grace" and the Celtic/Celtic-inspired hymns like "Lord of The Dance".

At my parish, it's the same songs every year for May Crowning: "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman", "Immaculate Mary", and "Hail, Holy Queen". "Hail Mary, Gentle Woman" is my favorite of those three, but "Immaculate Mary" sounds nice with a childrens' choir.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
aklassie 
Posted: 22-May-2004, 01:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

female

Wisard, you said it better than I did. That was what I was trying to say. I have nothing against new christian music. It's the rapping and such that "I" don't like.
I'm not saying it wrong for others. I respect others and the music they like.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 22-May-2004, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

QUOTE (aklassie @ May 22 2004, 01:32 AM)
Wisard, you said it better than I did. That was what I was trying to say. I have nothing against new christian music. It's the rapping and such that "I" don't like.
I'm not saying it wrong for others. I respect others and the music they like.

Aklassie, I knew you weren't downing other styles of Christian music or others for listening to them. I just wanted you to give other styles a chance...who knows you might like some of them. I personally do not like rap music even Christian rap music. So I guess we are all different. 'Vive le differance!'

I wish our church would play some of the old hyms once in a while. What was old will become new again to a new generation. Especially "How Great Thou Art!" My belief is don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just because times are changing we shouldn't throw away the old classic standards---but keep them right along with the new.

JMTW (Just my threepence worth),
Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]