Haldur 
Posted: 20-Jan-2012, 12:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

This year I discovered not only some Doctor Who I've been missing out on but some other excellent British television. BBC's "Sherlock"--a modern re-imagining on the classic detective and his trusting friend and confidant, Dr. John Watson--has grown on me and become a really appealing adaptation, despite my initial perceptions.

For one, I never thought a Sherlock Holmes in the modern era would work. Holmes's London belongs in that dingy yet romantic Victorian Era, where the genius of observation can whisk away to any crime scene, prepared to deduce the most remarkable findings from the most miniscule of details.

But this series actually works, and I must say, I prefer it even to the Basil Rathbone and Guy Ritchie-infused 'Sherlock Holmes' feature film with Robert Downey, Jr. Obviously a completely different take, the BBC series is both sharp-tongued and appeasing dramatically. It's Holmes and Watson utilizing Smartphones and wi-fi connections to help gather clues and update their blogs. At the heart though is the adventurous, CSI-like investigative goodness of the classic Holmes.

When you really think about it though, Doyle's original incarnation also used the latest technology to go about solving crimes. He also utilized newspapers, fliers, letters, etc. for discovering and solving cases. And the original stories were written from the first-person view of Dr. Watson, just as this incarnation tells of his encounters alongside Sherlock in his own personal blog.

I suggest this series for not only those infatuated with the Sherlock Holmes works by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but for fans of fast-paced, nail-biting film. And I say film because each episode of the already broadcast 6 episodes (3 90-in episodes per series, series 2 having just ended with "The Reichenbach Fall", a new take on "The Final Problem" in which Sir Conan Doyle notoriously killed off his signature leading character only to bring him back years later at the request of readers) are stellar, self-contained cinematic experiences in their own right.

If you've been viewing each new episode on BBC America as intently as I have (thank God for DVR!), then please feel free to comment, admonish/critique the series, or give any other thoughts whatsoever regarding the production. Might I also add that writer/producer Steven Moffat ("Doctor Who", "Jekyll") is behind this series. He's an utter genius and a Scotsman to boot.

Also, it feels good to be back here on CelticRadio.net! For those of you who remember me or whatnot, it's glad to be back.

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Vixie 
Posted: 20-Jan-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: SW Mountain Desert

female

Well, thanks for the recommendation! I just added it to my Netflix queue, so I will definitely watch the past episodes and look for the new ones on BBC America smile.gif

--------------------
Slàinte mhòr agus a h-uile beannachd duibh!
(Good health and every good blessing to you! -- Scots blessing)

Victoria Dunn, author writing under the pseudonym Ria MacAlister
Joanne25 
Posted: 02-Feb-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Redmond, WA

female

I've just started watching these via Netflix, and I love it! Quirky and fast-paced dialague, what's not to like? smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 17-May-2012, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

The most recent episode of the Hound of the Baskervilles was excellent!
PMEmail Poster               
Allan 
Posted: 13-Aug-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

It is a brilliant series. I have been watching it on PBS but good to know Netflix has it.
PMEmail Poster               
Allan 
Posted: 13-Aug-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Haldur @ 20-Jan-2012, 01:08 AM)
This year I discovered not only some Doctor Who I've been missing out on but some other excellent British television. BBC's "Sherlock"--a modern re-imagining on the classic detective and his trusting friend and confidant, Dr. John Watson--has grown on me and become a really appealing adaptation, despite my initial perceptions.

For one, I never thought a Sherlock Holmes in the modern era would work. Holmes's London belongs in that dingy yet romantic Victorian Era, where the genius of observation can whisk away to any crime scene, prepared to deduce the most remarkable findings from the most miniscule of details.

But this series actually works, and I must say, I prefer it even to the Basil Rathbone and Guy Ritchie-infused 'Sherlock Holmes' feature film with Robert Downey, Jr. Obviously a completely different take, the BBC series is both sharp-tongued and appeasing dramatically. It's Holmes and Watson utilizing Smartphones and wi-fi connections to help gather clues and update their blogs. At the heart though is the adventurous, CSI-like investigative goodness of the classic Holmes.

When you really think about it though, Doyle's original incarnation also used the latest technology to go about solving crimes. He also utilized newspapers, fliers, letters, etc. for discovering and solving cases. And the original stories were written from the first-person view of Dr. Watson, just as this incarnation tells of his encounters alongside Sherlock in his own personal blog.

I suggest this series for not only those infatuated with the Sherlock Holmes works by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but for fans of fast-paced, nail-biting film. And I say film because each episode of the already broadcast 6 episodes (3 90-in episodes per series, series 2 having just ended with "The Reichenbach Fall", a new take on "The Final Problem" in which Sir Conan Doyle notoriously killed off his signature leading character only to bring him back years later at the request of readers) are stellar, self-contained cinematic experiences in their own right.

If you've been viewing each new episode on BBC America as intently as I have (thank God for DVR!), then please feel free to comment, admonish/critique the series, or give any other thoughts whatsoever regarding the production. Might I also add that writer/producer Steven Moffat ("Doctor Who", "Jekyll") is behind this series. He's an utter genius and a Scotsman to boot.

Also, it feels good to be back here on CelticRadio.net! For those of you who remember me or whatnot, it's glad to be back.

I agree. This is a brilliant series. Good to know it is on Netfllix..I have been watching it on PBS
PMEmail Poster               
MelissaDawn7 
Posted: 14-Mar-2014, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacOak

female

I love the Sherlock series! I watch them as soon as they are out. Can't believe we have to wait another 2 years for the next few episodes! sad.gif. I also liked the movies with Robert Downey Jr and I have watched some of the old series but Sherlock is my favorite. Was NOT a fan of Elementary. Watson is a girl and a doctor who is only there to make sure Sherlock doesn't get back in to drugs...not a great Sherlock show in my opinion. I have an "I AM SHER LOCKED" sticker on my computer haha. Also, Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch are just awesome actors. I love that they are doing some other famous movies like the Hobbit and Star Trek.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 14-Apr-2014, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,701 Gold!

Thanks for bring this up, I am going to check this out. Hopefully it is on Hulu or streaming as I am using that form of T.V. more than traditional programming.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Avonlea22 
Posted: 20-Apr-2014, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

you won't be disappointed. You may be able to watch it from the PBS app as well.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
ogdenmusic 
Posted: 15-Nov-2014, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Cincinnati, OHIO

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #39
169,751 Gold!

If you have cable and BBC America, they are replaying the Sherlock Series. Benedict Cumberbatch does a great job.

--------------------
GO KENTUCKY WILDCATS
PMEmail Poster               
Cordelia 
Posted: 07-May-2015, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Oh my, I have such a love affair with this series! I wasn't sure how a modern-day Sherlock would work, but it has been done before with Basil Rathbone (my personal favourite Sherlock before Benedict) although I prefer the two films set in Victorian times. Benedict Cumberbatch+Martin Freeman are brilliant. Watson finally done right. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster                
five4 
Posted: 22-Oct-2015, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacElder

Realm: SW Florida

male

I agree that the Victorian setting is best suited to these films as this was the time period in which these stories were written,but that does not mean that I do not appreciate the modernization at all, it's just an added chapter to these wonderful characters. Cumberbatch and Freeman have given us outstanding performances as we transition SH into the present day, I can only hope and wait for more to come. I think that Ian McKellen's portrayal of an ageing Holmes is spot on in his 2015 movie, "Mr. Holmes". Although the yard stick we use to measure all those engaged in these roles will be, at least in my mind, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, there have been dozens of actors plying their craft to this original dynamic duo. Two that stand out for me have been Richard Roxburg as SH in the 2002 TV movie "Hound of the Baskervilles" and Jude Law as Dr. Watson in both the 2009 and 2011 movies...

--------------------
The Scots are the men that made GOD mad, for their battles are happy and their songs are sad...UNK

It doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty, as long as there's whiskey in it...UNK

Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough...M. Twain
PMEmail Poster               
five4 
Posted: 31-Oct-2015, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacElder

male

PMEmail Poster               
five4 
Posted: 01-Nov-2015, 07:38 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacElder

male

Did anyone catch this 3 episode telecast with Martin Clunes as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/progra...hur-and-george/
PMEmail Poster               
five4 
Posted: 28-Jan-2016, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacElder

male

Did anyone tune it to Sherlock Holmes' "The Adominable Bride" which aired on PBS the nights of January 1st and 10th?...If you haven't, I will not say anything other than that you missed one of the best episodes yet...If you did, why not discuss it here...thanks and slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]