Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Why Do We Need Something To Believe In?
Knightly Knight 
Posted: 14-Mar-2004, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

King of the Kowboys
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri

male

Peckery If you believe in Levitation.....Raise me hand.

I dont Have to believe in anything, But I do, Ive done the math and an athiest has a lot more faith to believe in what he does than what I do. I have proof of what I believe in, just as an athiest has no proof in what he doesnt believe.

--------------------
If Jimmy cracked corn and no one cares, Why is there a song about it?
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 19-Mar-2004, 12:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Knightly Knight @ Mar 14 2004, 11:07 PM)
Peckery If you believe in Levitation.....Raise me hand.

I dont Have to believe in anything, But I do, Ive done the math and an athiest has a lot more faith to believe in what he does than what I do. I have proof of what I believe in, just as an athiest has no proof in what he doesnt believe.

And that proof would be.....? king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Knightly Knight 
Posted: 25-Mar-2004, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

King of the Kowboys
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri

male

Hi Peckery, Weve been gone a week on vacation. Im glad you missed me. LOL
Ive had some answers to prayers that the scientific world would not believe. Im certainly not the only one. I also understand unless i have written proof there is no basis for you to believe me. You and I must agree to disagree. I also know the monkeys are strong with you. Peckery see you around the forum king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 16-Apr-2004, 04:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Peckery, man can still look around and see the beauty of God; it is just masked by the feeble concept of "evolution". Evolution has more flaws in its theory than any other. Man just accepts whatever makes him happy, whatever fluffs his feathers, and so on. Man cannot know God or accept God's existence without first hearing about God. Then man must believe that God exists, know in his heart of hearts that science may be right in some sense but that it is merely man's way of seeing the world. Science comes from empirical knowledge: what we see, hear, taste, etc. This is knowledge, yes, but not spiritual. Science is the wool that has been pulled over mankind's eyes to hide him from the Truth. Evolution is a stupid assumption that man derived from apes and that Darwin is god. Darwin was merely a man, and man has faults. God is perfect and cannot lie. Take what you will from this.

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 23-Apr-2004, 05:02 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Sir Peckary, I get realtime results from my Buddhist prayers. It works whether you call it cause-and-effect or "miracles".

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 23-Apr-2004, 06:24 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

QUOTE (Haldur @ Apr 16 2004, 05:01 AM)
Peckery, man can still look around and see the beauty of God; it is just masked by the feeble concept of "evolution".  Evolution has more flaws in its theory than any other.  Man just accepts whatever makes him happy, whatever fluffs his feathers, and so on.  Man cannot know God or accept God's existence without first hearing about God.  Then man must believe that God exists, know in his heart of hearts that science may be right in some sense but that it is merely man's way of seeing the world.  Science comes from empirical knowledge: what we see, hear, taste, etc.  This is knowledge, yes, but not spiritual.  Science is the wool that has been pulled over mankind's eyes to hide him from the Truth.  Evolution is a stupid assumption that man derived from apes and that Darwin is god.  Darwin was merely a man, and man has faults.  God is perfect and cannot lie.  Take what you will from this.

Why is it so hard to believe in evolution? I have very strong Christian beliefs and a very personal relationship with God, but I do believe that science has a place. I find the scientific evidence which you call feeble very compelling. There is a great deal of symbolism in the Bible. Can not the Garden of Eden and the story of Adam and Eve be God's way of explaining to men of a comparatively primitve understanding of science how the world began?

And what of dinosaurs? Radio carbon studies are a proven technique for gauging the age of objects. It has been proven that they died out millions of years before man appeared. Can thousands (or maybe millions) of scientists be involved in some kind of conspiracy to fool men into believing only in emperical objects? I think it's a little far fetched.

Please forgive me for saying so, but I think that the reason some people don't believe in evolution is that they don't want believe that one of their ancestors could have been an ape. It's no different than wanting to believe that one of their ancestors was a mass murderer. It's a pride thing.

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 23-Apr-2004, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (tsargent62 @ Apr 23 2004, 07:24 AM)
Why is it so hard to believe in evolution? I have very strong Christian beliefs and a very personal relationship with God, but I do believe that science has a place. I find the scientific evidence which you call feeble very compelling. There is a great deal of symbolism in the Bible. Can not the Garden of Eden and the story of Adam and Eve be God's way of explaining to men of a comparatively primitve understanding of science how the world began?

And what of dinosaurs? Radio carbon studies are a proven technique for gauging the age of objects. It has been proven that they died out millions of years before man appeared. Can thousands (or maybe millions) of scientists be involved in some kind of conspiracy to fool men into believing only in emperical objects? I think it's a little far fetched.

Please forgive me for saying so, but I think that the reason some people don't believe in evolution is that they don't want believe that one of their ancestors could have been an ape. It's no different than wanting to believe that one of their ancestors was a mass murderer. It's a pride thing.

Todd

I used to think like you do about the scientific evidence for evolution. I am a science guy and I don't see that the biblical account in any way contradicts science that is good science. In other words real proof, accurate, nothing contrived. I also know that Christians will frequently find fault with good science because it does not fit their Biblical view.

As far as radio carbon dating proving that the dinosaurs died out long before man came on the scene. I don't believe that this is something that you could make a case for based on that particular type of evidence. Even if radio metric dating was as accurate as a Swiss watch (which it has proven not to be) and if the newest dino bones you could date predated the oldest man bones that you could find by millions of years, that evidence would still not be conclusive as there could be any number of reasons for that situation to occur that would have nothing to do with man and dinos not living concurrently.

I am not saying that they did or didn't and I don't really believe that the Biblical account holds us to one or the other and I also have not seen conclusive evidence one way or the other.

I personally look at evolution - qualified as macro evolution: one species to another species or molecules to life - as a faith based science as the evidence used to support it is very sketchy at best. For example the Geologic chart with it's index fossils. They determine the age of fossil by the layer it is found in and the age of the layer by the fossils that are found in it. Radio Metric dating use to determine the age of volcanic rock. Has dated rock of a know age as being thousands of year older than it actually is.

Still no missing link. (i.e. monkeys to man) Every single example of this link has proved to be a hoax without exception and yet evolutionary science ignores the fact of obvious hoaxes and continues to hold them up as conclusive evidence.

I find the fact that they will not accept hoaxes for what they are as evidence of their insecurity in their theories.

As a person who personally believes in and supports the scientific method and the sciences, I find this particular brand of science to be an embarrassment to the entire scientific community. Forget about religious beliefs or Biblical accounts. The stuff they foist on us is mostly fiction.

(steps down off of soap box to walk once again amonst the masses) tongue.gif

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
tsargent62 
Posted: 28-Apr-2004, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

What hoaxes are you referring to? There is no "missing link" that I know of, true. But isn't a lot of accepted science just theory? That's why it's called the Theory of Evolution. While there is no concrete evidence of it, there is a lot of compelling evidence to support it. There has been a continuous path upward found from australiopithicus forward. I find it very reasonable to believe in it until someone can show evidence to refute it.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 03-May-2004, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

DAng it.

I spent a bunch of time answering your questions yesterday Todd and it disappeared sometime between when I hit post reply and checked today.

I will post it again later today.

Peace

MIkel
mercyforme 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 05:38 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: washington

female

There are things that are apart of how we are, like the need to believe in something.
I am going to use the name Jehovah cause I am not happy writing God all the time cause God is what he is but Jehovah is his name:)
Jehovah when he first made the ever so popular Adam and Eve, he did not make them to be independant from him. They had a choice to obey him or not. Jehovah does grant us free will to worship him or not. When Eve was tricked by satan aka (the snake) he told her that if she ate from the fruit of the tree which Jehovah said not to eat from that she would be like God knwoing good and bad, he also implied that Jehovah was holding something back from them and that they didnt need him. Thus changelling Jehovah's right to rule mankind. The issue is still here today, Is man able to rule themselves or do we need Jehovah God-do we need something to believe in??
Well what do you think? How do you think we are doing so far? Think about this--we cant keep peace, people still die and starve and suffer. Man cant stop these from happening.
Another thought to ponder on=Do you ever wonder why Jehovah God, a God that is suppost to be so loving and kind lets these bad things go on? Didnt you ever blame him for the death of loved ones?? Why would he do this?? Because he is letting man see that he cannot rule himself without interference. Think about that on a wide scale....Jehovah could have destroyed Adam and Eve and started all over you know, but then that question would have been raised and not solved. I personally think whatever God wants he should get, everything is his he made us and every little thing. But satan was bad at heart and he put that question out there and we are proving to ourselves and Jehovah and everything he made why we cannot live indepenent from him--also why we need something to believe in.
I know I may get comments back on this, all I beg from you guys really is no hateful comments. I was shaky about writing this in the first place and am worried about what will be said back. But when a question like that is asked and I know the answer how could I just sit back and not say anything. You may also have noticed I didnt use scriptures which really should be here but I think since this whole board wasnt made for this you have to ask me to prove it then I shall.
Ok be gentle if posting back, so far you guys are great and I want to keep that point of view cause I like it here angel_not.gif

--------------------
Look Beyond what you see
PMEmail Poster               
urian 
Posted: 19-May-2004, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's heaven for?
Robert Browning

I chose to believe in something not because of some misguided sense of duty to a religion that I was forced to follow. I chose to believe because of the experiences I have had in my.

Seeing the love and compassion in my wife's eyes. That unconditional love. I refuse to believe that all emotions are just chemical reactions. We are the end result of chemicals but we are more.

Watching my brother(who was supposed to be a vegetable after his accident) recover in two weeks time..even with a quarter of his brain gone he is sharper than most people I know with their entire grey matter.

Watching the birth of my son. Watching him grow. Seeing something in his eyes that is indescribable.

Sitting still in the middle of a field of hay feeling the sun on my face and the wind in my hair. Watching the play of the birds in the air and the animals on the ground.

Knowing that , if, any molecule was off by the slightest,then, we would not exist. The lawas of physics themselves are too perfect to be an accident.

I choose to believe because of the many evidences that I have seen, heard, felt, and experienced in my life.

I believe in something because I feel that something believes in me.

My two cents

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 24-May-2004, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Currently there are five Billion people on earth. If you line a million up in a row and hit them all in the head with a hammer, several things are going to happen. Some will die instantly, some will go into a coma and die, Some will come out of their coma. Of those who come out of their coma some will be effected and some will not. (other than having a dent in their head) The ones who come out OK, is that Gods doing? Does he get credit? And did he say screw all these other loosesrs, your special.
In a world of BILLIONS you will find that the human body is pretty predictible as far as what it can absord and still function. The ones who survived were a statistic, not divine intervention. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 24-May-2004, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

Your logic is flawed Peckery as your whole thesis is dependant on the size of a hammer that you hit them with. king.gif
Aragorn 
Posted: 24-May-2004, 12:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

We all need to believe is something regardless of what or who. Thank you for all your prospectives, To each his own. I think if we do not believe in something life is not worth living or it has little value. So, be at peace and believe what you will.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 24-May-2004, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Aragorn @ May 24 2004, 01:45 PM)
We all need to believe is something regardless of what or who. Thank you for all your prospectives, To each his own. I think if we do not believe in something life is not worth living or it has little value. So, be at peace and believe what you will.

Does this mean that we are not allowed to post in this forum anymore unsure.gif

I'm confused hammer.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]