Keltic 
Posted on 04-Nov-2003, 10:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (brettzky42 @ Nov 4 2003, 10:24 PM)
I love the music at these things but I especially like working as a vendor. Good people, great fun. Besides, when your working as a kilt vendor, you can go pants free for days at a time!

If your tables are high enough you can go pants and kilt free. (not that I have)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted on 06-Nov-2003, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

I would love to vote on this one but considering that I have never been to one of these I can't in good honor vote. Oregon doesn't have anything like this. I would love to start something like Highland games considering how many Celtic people we have in this state but I wouldn't even know where to start.
Blessed Be,
Angel
PMEmail Poster                
Keltic 
Posted on 06-Nov-2003, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (Angel Whitefang @ Nov 6 2003, 04:18 PM)
I would love to vote on this one but considering that I have never been to one of these I can't in good honor vote. Oregon doesn't have anything like this. I would love to start something like Highland games considering how many Celtic people we have in this state but I wouldn't even know where to start.
Blessed Be,
Angel

Some events in Oregon:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March Portland Irish Festival - Portland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April Oregon Scottish Heritage Festival - Albany
May Celtic Bhealltain Festival - Eugene
July Athena Caledonian Games - Athena
July Portland Highland Games - Portland
Aug The High Desert Celtic Festival - Prineville
Aug Oregon Highland Games - Winston

Have fun next year at the festivals Angel. We expect that you will take all of them in!!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted on 29-Nov-2003, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

It was really hard to vote on this one as I love several things about the Highland games. In Arizona here we have three a year!

1) the Men in kilts
2) the pipers and drum bands (I hear the pipes for days too afterwards unsure.gif )
3) The Vendors cause I love to buy the Celtic jewelry.
4) The Highland dancing
5) Clan MacPherson booth

I am also a big fan of the Renaissance festivals. Attend that every year. I love the period costumes and all the fun be had by there. Some good looking men in kilts there too! wink.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
rock_serenade 
Posted on 01-Mar-2004, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: portland, southern Maine

male

I love the piping and the dancing and the drumming and just everything at the games, its a great way to spend the day, and if the vendors are local craftsman then you can get some great buys on fantastic nicknacks

--------------------
[FONT=Times][COLOR=green]
I Come
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted on 02-Mar-2004, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

We are one of our three Highland games this past weekend! It was really big and awesome! Alex Beaton was there performing and I so I hung around for most of the day listening to him. Was neat to hear her perform some of the songs I have heard here on CR. I got to hear my favorite Scottish song, Scotland the Brave from the pipes and drum. Such both a sad and proud song. Then I had some meat pie for lunch. That was good, but then never having had it in Scotland I had nothing to compare it to. Would like to know what the meat and mixture is inside the meat pie. Anybody know? Not that it matters, just curious.
Catriona 
Posted on 02-Mar-2004, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Was it a steak pie, or a mutton pie, CR? Steak pie is often made with flaky or rough puff pastry and our mutton pies are made with a water crust . The filling is mutton and onions with a blend of spices (depending on which baker you buy them from!) The filling in mutton pies is a little 'peppery', but delicious.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted on 02-Mar-2004, 04:38 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Catriona @ Mar 2 2004, 05:19 PM)
Was it a steak pie, or a mutton pie, CR? Steak pie is often made with flaky or rough puff pastry and our mutton pies are made with a water crust . The filling is mutton and onions with a blend of spices (depending on which baker you buy them from!) The filling in mutton pies is a little 'peppery', but delicious.

Cat! Uh! I couldn't tell you, honestly. but I would venture to say it was mutton pie from what you described! However, the crust was about 1 inch thick and very heavy. I am sure the people here didn't do it justice as I would have gotten in Scotland. If it was peppery, it wasn't enough for me! I love that! But it still was very very good! They had cornbeef and cabbage too. I LOVE cabbage! But don't care for corn beef though.

I am already planning to go the games in Flagstaff in July and hopefully will have other Scottish delicacies! Plus, one of my favorite bands is going to be there, the Wicked Tinkers! thumbs_up.gif Will have to spend the night for that event as it is 3-1/2 hours away.
AShruleEgan 
Posted on 02-Mar-2004, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Mar 2 2004, 05:38 PM)

I am already planning to go the games in Flagstaff in July and hopefully will have other Scottish delicacies! Plus, one of my favorite bands is going to be there, the Wicked Tinkers! thumbsup.gif Will have to spend the night for that event as it is 3-1/2 hours away.

Rosemary, make sure you sit near the stage or an aisle seat. And wear your dancing shoes. The Tinkers come off the stage (yea, like that's something new with them) and form a conga line. You just have to jump in line. partytime.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted on 02-Mar-2004, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh thank you Mike! I have spoken to hubby about it tonight and he said he was game to go! I am so excited! It is not until July 17, but I so want to see the Wicked Tinkers. I just really love their music! I want to make my reservations a head of time for hotel accomodations.

Now also, my favorite author, Diana Gabaldon, will be there too doing a reading and book signing! That's how I found out about it! So there are more reasons for me to go than one! Plus, if you have never been to Flagstaff, Arizona, it is a place to be and go to! Very beautiful place up in the mountains!

Anyway, Mike! Thanks for telling me! Sounds like a lot of fun! thumbs_up.gif
MDF3530 
  Posted on 02-Mar-2004, 09:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I just found out that The Irish Rovers played practically in my backyard this past weekend and I didn't know about it crybaby.gif !!!

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
Catriona 
Posted on 03-Mar-2004, 04:26 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Mar 2 2004, 10:38 PM)
Cat! Uh! I couldn't tell you, honestly. but I would venture to say it was mutton pie from what you described! However, the crust was about 1 inch thick and very heavy.  I am sure the people here didn't do it justice as I would have gotten in Scotland. If it was peppery, it wasn't enough for me! I love that! But it still was very very good!  They had cornbeef and cabbage too. I LOVE cabbage! But don't care for corn beef though.

I

Pastry AN INCH THICK? unsure.gif It must have been AWFUL! A water crust pastry should basically be a thin shell to hold the meat filling, with a thin 'lid' which has a hole in the centre to allow the steam to be released during cooking, and is just the right size to let you put a good dollop of HP sauce into the meat mixture.... The one you ate sounds like you could have used it as a doorstop!!! You'll just have to wait for your trip to Scotland to find out how mutton pies are supposed to taste! biggrin.gif

Corned beef and cabbage is what we mostly consider an Irish dish - so you seemed to have the foods of other Celtic nations at your Games, CR!
Cat
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted on 03-Mar-2004, 04:44 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Cat! I would agree it could have been comparable to a doorstop! I was trying to be polite as I have no idea what true Scottish food should taste like! biggrin.gif It didn't have hole in the middle. Only an inch thick crust and very hard at that...............a doorstop! laugh.gif I still liked it though. biggrin.gif Can you imagine what I would think of the real thing? Yummy!

Well you know? I thought corn beef and cabbage was an Irish dish, but I was not sure! I just know I don't like cornbeef! My mother used to cook it all the time............she must have been Irish for sure............and I always hated the cornbeef.....yuk. The cabbage? I swear I could eat a whole head of that stuff! I just love it! thumbs_up.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted on 03-Mar-2004, 04:46 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ Mar 2 2004, 10:45 PM)
I just found out that The Irish Rovers played practically in my backyard this past weekend and I didn't know about it crybaby.gif !!!

Oh no! Mike! How horrible! Poor you!
tsargent62 
Posted on 03-Mar-2004, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I just happened upon this thread. There's one thing missing from the poll. Beer Tents! There's nothing like finishing massed bands (I've been in more than I can count) and cooling of with some nice cold suds. beer_mug.gif smile.gif

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]