Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Where Do You Live?, If you want to share...
Keltic 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, capital of Canada. Home of 308 too many federal politicians. In the past, I've lived in Toronto, Ontario; Halifax, Nova Scotia and Houston, Texas. Favourite city that I've lived in so far is definitely Halifax.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
talleyrand 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I'm in Kansas City, Missouri which is right on the border of Kansas (but I'd never live there! Blech! Chickenhawks). I was born and raised in Independence which is next to Kansas City and the home of Harry S Truman (33rd president of the US).

There's a popular saying that in Missouri if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and some days it's pretty accurate. I've been wearing shorts one day to shovelling snow the next. I've seen triple digit temperatures and I've seen ... I know I've seen single negative digits but I'm not sure if it's dipped into the negative teens before. Wind chill's been there before, I've felt that when it was in the -30s. About the only constant is the humidity and we have lots of it.

I absolutely love Missouri, it's a nice mix of small and large towns. Granted, we're not Chicago large but we're nearly 2 million in the metro area. About 45 minutes to an hour in any direction and you can be in farm land (mostly wheat and corn). We're supposed to be known for our barbeque, jazz and fat people. For some reason, the tourism board doesn't point that last one out. wink.gif That study rankled a lot of feathers when it was released. Growing up I never noticed it but I asked a friend from Germany (East Germany if I were to date myself) about it and his comments were ... rather direct but he basically said that yes, lots of overweight and unhealthy habits here. At any rate, come and decide for yourself. I'll be happy to show anyone around.

The rest of the state as I said is wonderful. Plenty of small towns and rural life (friendly people). We'd stopped in at a diner in a small town near Lexington (I think Missouri has the most cities named after famous locations {Lexington, Vienna, Vichy, Lebanon, Nevada, California, Montgomery, etc}) and our son was probably all of 6 weeks and started to pitch a fit when our food arrived. Our waitress asked if she could hold him while we ate since her kids were all grown up and gone. Gal'd never seen us before, we'd never been in the place before but it was just one of those honest places where you just feel at ease. I've been blessed to find lots of places like that in this glorious state. The southern part of the state is referred to as the Ozarks. Lots of waterways, rolling hills, red clay and forests of oak, maple and sycamore trees. The middle to northern parts of the state tend to have more brown to black soil, good for growing crops, still plenty of forested areas. It's less hilly than the southern portion but still has some changes in elevation unlike Kansas (very flat outside of the KC area). Even though the Missouri River flows north and south, it flows east to west from Kansas City to St. Louis (I know two people who have canoed from KC to STL---not recommended). Missouri takes their natural resources and wildlife seriously, I don't recall the figures off the top of my head but it basically amounts to we have more land and money going into our conversation department and deparment of natural resources than any other state in an effort to preserve the beauty for future generations.

And I'll stop now or this post will be miles long and everyone will have lost interest a llong time ago.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 09:43 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I live in Arizona, land of the heat, dust and cacti! Love it here! thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 04-Sep-2004, 10:20 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Wow, Getting Away, I don't often hear that Yellowknife is someone's dream destination. Nevertheless, for getting away, it really is a dream! We are also home to the best caribou hunting as well! For those of us who like to live off the land as much as possible, that is a real treat.

Maggiemahone1, I'd love to visit WV. I have travelled through the Appalachians before and loved them dearly. In fact, I lived in the northern terminus of the Appalachain chain when I loved in northern Nova Scotia. It is amazing how every part of the world has its own beauty. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 04:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ 04-Sep-2004, 10:14 PM)
As for myself I live in the beautiful Appalachia Mountains of WV.

Was just through that area week before last! Couldn't get over how beautiful the forests on the mountains were. Quite enjoyable. I think I'll stay in Central Kentucy though. More variety. I can enjoy rolling hills or the hills of Appalacia this way. There has got t obe something sad though for driving up and down 79 in WV, listening to Celtic music. Perticularly songs such as "Both Sides the Tweed" which happened to be playing when I thought of how well it fit. I felt like I was experiencing a little piece of Heaven, and was enjoying myself too much to sleep while mom drove. Beautiful hills there.

As I said though, think I'll stay here in Kentucky. More variety in the scenery smile.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 04:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I live in Bel Air...Maryland that is. wink.gif It's about 20 miles north of Baltimore. I'm much more content now that I've moved there from Baltimore. Can drive about 1-2 miles in any direction from my house and hit farm land and horse ranches. Maryland is not my home state, but I stay here because my mother-in-law lives here and someone has to take care of her... rolleyes.gif I originally was born in Ohio and then moved to Florida when I was 15. At 18, the Navy stuck me in Maryland and I've been here ever since. My dream is to eventually move to Alaska...hubby's dream is to go to Florida. Guess I might be stuck in Maryland as a compromise. laugh.gif cool.gif

--------------------

user posted image
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 06:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (emerald-eyedwanderer @ 04-Sep-2004, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ 04-Sep-2004, 04:28 PM)
My town has a beautiful old town originating from the Middle Ages with half-timbered houses, an old cathedral and narrow lanes with very old pavement stones and old bridges crossing the river.

It sounds beautiful, Gabby. My mother's family came from Germany (family name of Ultsch) so I've always planned on visiting. I've always wanted to learn to speak german too,
bye1.gif Hi nieghbor. I've been through Flusing, a nice town. I haevn't been to Lake Superior though. The furtherest north I have been is Newberry in the U.P. I heard it was beautiful though, I mean it is the largest one, it's has to be special.

Let me know when you will visit my country one day... smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
celtica 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 06:30 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

As everyone know I'm from Britanny (no, i'm not that much nationalist... tongue.gif ). I live in Brest, a port called "La cité du Ponant" (city of the west, in a more intellectual form laugh.gif ). The city is not very beautiful because it was entirely destroyed by bombing during the second world war. But the bay and the landscapes around are amazing.

If you want to visit the town just follow me (click on the @ on the map on the left to see the place) wink.gif :

Visit Brest

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Celtica that is a beautiful area there on the water. Interesting buildings and archietecture.

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Irish Stepper we use to live in Annapolis Maryland. I like that area. We thought we were going to retire in Severna Park, Maryland and I would have been alot happier to stay there than in Hee Haw Hell here in hot Georgia.
Betweent the tornado's, hurricane runners and hot weather and bugs I'd take Md or Ga any day!

Be good. Glad to see you posting girl! Haven't caught up to you in a while!

Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 09:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

Well, as aforementioned, I live in Tasmania, an island about the size of the Republic of Ireland with a population of only half a million.

It's a land of natural beauty, of highlands and beaches all so close together.

I absolutely adore all things celtic, especially music and the celtic Christian heritage of Ireland and Scotland.

--------------------
cscunningham 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

male

Greeting from Hampstead New Hampshire home of the first in the nation Presidental Primary.

Hampstead is a small (8,000) community located in Souther NH. I can be in down town Boston in about 45 minutes, to the beach in 1/2 hour or up to one of my favorite ski slops in less than an hour.

Being the first in the nation Presidental Primary has its advantages and disadvantages. I have meet face to face, often over coffee in a small setting almost every president since G. Ford. If you love politics NH, out side of DC is your dream state. The disadvantages non-stop TV Ads that go on for the better part of 3 months.

Prior to relocating back to NH I lived in Kutztwon, PA, East Haven, CT, Rocky Hill, CT and North Kingstown, RI. I grew up in Nashua, NH so when I had an opportunity to return to NH, I jumped at.

I have enjoyed reading everyones replys. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
C.S. Cunningham, Clan Cunningham USA -
Membership Coordinator & New England/New York Region Director
[email protected]

If there is righteousness in the heart,
there will be beauty in the character.
If there is beauty in the character,
there will be harmony in the home.
If there is harmony in the home,
there will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
there will be peace in the world.
So let it be.

My Webpage
PMEmail Poster               
orthodex 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAsh

male

I'm from Serbia!

Well, I think that would be it...
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 05:46 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ 05-Sep-2004, 07:21 AM)
Let me know when you will visit my country one day... smile.gif

I most definitely will! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (emerald-eyedwanderer @ 05-Sep-2004, 06:46 PM)
I most definitely will! biggrin.gif

Been there, although not that part of the country, and it's been a while. But I'd definately recommend it!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]