Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Learning Scots Gaelic, anybody want to try?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 12:39 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Some Gaelic Grammar

LESSON ONE -- A' CHEUD LEASAN

Aspiration
"To Be"
i) Present Tense, Affirmative
ii) Present Tense, Negative
iii) Present Tense, Question
iv) Present Tense, Negative Question
Verbal Noun
Vocabulary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first in a series of Scots Gaelic lessons. These lessons are cobbled together using examples from different grammars and textbooks, so if anything seems vaguely familiar, that's probably why. Corrections to this material are always welcome.

These lessons will be sent out irregularly but generally at one or two-week intervals; a version with slashes instead of accents will be sent out immediately after the accented version. Now, if you're sitting comfortably, we'll begin.

Aspiration

Aspiration is a way of indicating grammatical change in SG and, since it is widely used, it's best to start off by illustrating how it works. There are eighteen letters in Gaelic: five are vowels (a, e, i, o, and u, as in English), one is the letter "h", which is in a category all by itself, and the remaining letters are consonants (b, c, d, f, g, l, m, n, p, r, s, and t). Of the vowels, two (e and i) are called "slender" vowels, and three (a, o, and u) are called "broad" vowels. Of the consonants, all of them except l, n, and r can become aspirated in writing, and this changes their sound as well. (L, n, and r also sound different when aspirated in speech, but this is not marked in writing). To aspirate a letter, you simply put "h" after it when it appears at the beginning of a word, for example:

Letter Aspirated Form Sounds Like...
b
bh
"v" as in "vet"
c
ch
"ch" as in "loch"
d
dh
silent after a slender vowel; like "y" in "yet" before a slender vowel; like "gh" in "ugh!" after or before a broad vowel.
f
fh
silent
g
gh
silent after a slender vowel; like "y" in "yet" before a slender vowel; like "gh" in "ugh!" after or before a broad vowel.
m
mh
"v" as in "vet"
p
ph
"f" as in "fox"
s
sh
"h" as in "his"
t
th
"h" as in "his"; silent at the end of a word

The purpose of aspiration is to show certain kinds of grammatical change, just as in English we put "-ed" to the end of a verb (e.g. "walk" --> "walked") to show the past tense or put "s" at the end of a word to show the plural (e.g. "hat" -- "hats"). The difference is that Scots Gaelic, in common with the other Celtic languages, puts the change at the beginning of the word instead. For example, one common use of aspiration is to indicate certain kinds of possession. The SG word "mo" means "my" and causes aspiration (where possible) on the following word. The word "taigh" means "house". To say "my house" in Gaelic, you would say "mo thaigh". "Taigh" is pronounced like the English word "tie", but "mo thaigh" sounds like "mo hie". Or to take another example, "cù" means "dog", so to say "my dog" you would say "mo chù". "Cù" sounds like "koo", but in "chù" the "k" sound is dropped in favour of a "ch" sound like in the word "loch" -- a sound halfway between "k" and "h".

There is no "eclipsis" in Scots Gaelic as there is in Irish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"To Be"

i) Present Tense, Affirmative

Like some other languages, for example Spanish, the Gaelic languages have two verbs that cover the range of the English verb "to be". One of them is used to join a noun with a noun, e.g. "Iain is a teacher" or "Calum is a Scotsman". The other one, which we'll look at in this lesson, is used to join a noun with an adjective -- e.g. "Ruairidh is tall", "Colin is old", etc. The basic present tense form of the verb is "tha" and the pronouns equivalent to English "I", "you", "he", etc. are as follows:

tha mi -- I am
tha thu -- you [singular] are
tha e -- he is; it is
tha i -- she is; it is
tha sinn -- we are
tha sibh -- you [plural] are
tha iad -- they are

(Note the difference between "thu" and "sibh"; "thu" means "you" when speaking to one person only. "Sibh" means "you" when speaking to more than one person but is also a polite form you can use when showing respect to someone who is older). The pronouns "e" and "i" mean "it" when they refer to masculine and feminine nouns rather than people, but for now I'll just use them in their personal sense.

The above forms are easily joined with adjectives like "beag" (little), "mór" (big), "òg" (young), "sona" (happy), etc.:

Tha mi sona. -- I am happy.
Tha iad beag. -- They are little.
Tha e mór. -- He is big.
Tha sinn òg. -- We are young.
"Tha mi fallain, tha mi òg" -- "I am healthy, I am young"

-- that last example is a line from a Runrig song, incidentally.

Some other adjectives to get you started:

sgìth -- tired tioram -- dry
fuar -- cold fliuch -- wet
blàth -- warm snog -- nice
trang -- busy math -- good
leisg -- lazy dona -- bad
brèagha -- beautiful dorcha -- dark
ciallach -- sensible gòrach -- stupid

ii) Present Tense, Negative

Just as in English and other languages, the verb "to be" in SG is highly irregular. To give the negative form of "tha", i.e. in order to say "... is not...", you have to use a different form altogether -- "chan eil":

Chan eil mi sgìth. -- I am not tired.
Chan eil iad beag. -- They are not little.
Chan eil i òg. -- She is not young.
Chan eil sinn sona. -- We are not happy. (etc.)

iii) Present Tense, Question

In English to ask a question we can just rearrange the word order (e.g. "you are happy" becomes "are you happy?") or we can even leave the word order as it is and just change the tone of voice ("you *are* happy?") In SG, however, we have to use a question word before a verb in order to ask a question using that verb. The question word is "an", but this changes to "am" before the letters b, f, m, and p. Unfortunately since "tha" is irregular, we can't just put the question word before "tha"; we have to put it in front of an irregular form called "bheil". Since "bheil" begins with a "b", this makes the question word "am":

Am bheil thu sgìth? Are you tired?
Am bheil iad sona? Are they happy?
Am bheil e òg? Is he young?
Am bheil mi fuar? Am I cold?

Over time, however, the "am" has become shortened in speech and writing to "a", so that questions are now usually asked with "a bheil...?" I've shown you the full form because you will still come across it in older books and because it helps to understand the basic rules involved with asking a question generally.

There is no word for "yes" or "no" as such in Gaelic, so a question tends to get answered with either an affirmative or negative form of the verb that was contained in the question. For example, the question "am bheil iad sona?" (are they happy?) can be answered affirmatively with "tha", which just means "are"; the negative answer would be "chan eil" (are not). When the question is "am bheil...?", "tha" becomes a "yes" answer and "chan eil" becomes a "no" answer -- but "yes" and "no" in Gaelic are always different depending on what verb is in the question.

iv) Present Tense, Negative Question

A negative question corresponds to the English phrases "Isn't he/she/it...?" or "Aren't I/they...?" In SG the negative question word is "nach" and, as usual, an irregular form of "tha" is used -- "eil":

Nach eil mi sona? Aren't I happy?
Nach eil e gòrach? Isn't he stupid?

As with "am bheil...?" the answer to a negative question with "nach eil...?" is either "tha" (corresponding to "yes") or "chan eil" (corresponding to "no").

Verbal Noun

The verbal noun is a kind of verb expressing ongoing action, very much like the English verbs which end in "-ing" like "walking" or "laughing". There are two parts to each verbal noun, the verb itself and "a'" ("ag" before a vowel) coming before it. It is used with "tha" and with the different forms of "tha". Some common verbal nouns are:

a' dol -- going
a' tighinn -- coming
a' coiseachd -- walking
a' cluich -- playing
ag obair -- working
ag òl -- drinking
a' bruidhinn -- talking, speaking
a' ruith -- running
a' leughadh -- reading
a' sgrìobhadh -- writing
ag itheadh -- eating
ag éisdeachd -- listening (etc.)

Tha sinn ag éisdeachd. -- We are listening.
Chan eil iad ag obair. -- They are not working.
Nach eil i a' dol? -- Isn't she going?
A bheil sibh a' leughadh? -- Are you reading? (etc.)

Vocabulary

a-màireach -- tomorrow
a-nis -- now
a-rithist -- again
an-dè -- yesterday
an-diugh -- today
an-dràsda -- at the moment
an-seo -- here
an-sin -- there
aosda -- old, aged
bàn -- fair-haired
ceàrr -- wrong
ceart -- right, correct
cuideachd -- also, too
dearg -- red
dubh -- black, dark-haired
fhathast -- yet
geal -- white
iongantach -- wonderful
laghach -- nice
làn -- full
modhail -- polite
pòsda -- married
riaraichte -- satisfied
smaoineachail -- amazing
seo -- this
sin -- that
teth -- hot
uaine -- green
ùr -- new, fresh

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Eamon 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Captain of the Prydwen
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

CelticRose, great topic. I have been learing Irish for a few years now and you can really see the similarities to Scots Gaelic.

Don't mind me, I will be lurking around the background taking notes!

Eamon

--------------------
"I care not whether I die tomorrow or next year, if only my deeds live after me." -Cuchullain

"Bíodh roinnt de sin agat!"
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 04:06 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Eamon @ Dec 18 2003, 03:19 PM)
CelticRose, great topic. I have been learing Irish for a few years now and you can really see the similarities to Scots Gaelic.

Don't mind me, I will be lurking around the background taking notes!

Eamon

Hi Eamon! Good to see you here. Have fun taking notes. I am taking many myself! biggrin.gif I have studied a little Irish myself and like you can see some similarities. Feel free to join in too!

Hi Seba! Hi Cu Dubh!

Tha a mhar! Tha mi gu math anis tapadh. Is toigh leum Gaidlig. The e gle fhuar ach tioram ann in Arizona an-drasda.

(Greetings! I am fine thankyou. I love Gaelic. It is very cold but dry in Arizona today. )

Mar sin leat.
Bye for now.

Hello to Scottish2 and thanks for helping out! bye1.gif
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 12:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

Halò a h-uile duine biggrin.gif

Tha a mhar!

Càit an do fhuair thu an abairt sin Celtic Rose? Cha cuala mi riamh sin, ach tha mise nam fhear-ionnsachaidh fhathast (Thòisich mi an-uiridh agus 's fior thoil leam a' Ghàidhlig cuideachd).. Cuin a thòisich thu a' Ghàidhlig ionnsachadh?

Where did you get that expression Celtic Rose? I've never heard it before, but I am still a learner. (I started last year and I really like Gaelic also). When did you start learning Gaelic?

Tha mi 'n dòchas gum bi deireadh-seachdain math agaibh! biggrin.gif
Hope you all have a good weekend!

Mar sin leibh an-dràsda. beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Bruidhinnibh Gàidhlig Rium.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I found a site where you can actually learn and hear the Gaelic being spoken. The instructor does a lesson a week! Plays music with Gaelic lyrics too!

http://www.impressions.uk.com/castles/gaelic.shtml
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 05:14 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

A Lesson In Gaelic
A Quick Gaelic Lesson

Welcome ........... Failte! (Fal-tchuh)
Good Morning ...........Madainn mhath (Mah-teen vah)
Good Evening/Afternoon ........ Feasgar math (Fess-gur mah)
Good Night ......... Oidhche mhath (Oy-huh vah)
How are you? .......... Ciamar a tha sibh? (Kimmer uh ha shiv)
I am fine .............. Tha mi gu math. (Ha mee goo mah)
Very good!.............. Gl mhath (Glay vah)
Good health! ............ Slainte mhath (Slan-chuh vor)
Please ................ Ma 'se do thoil e. (Ma sheh daw hol eh)
Thank you............... Tahadh leibh. (Tapuh lev)
You're welcome ............. 'S e do bheatha.(Sheh daw veh-huh)
Good-bye ............... Mar shin leibh. (Mar shin lev)
Up with the Gaelic! ....... Suas leis a GhhidhligI (Su-iss laysh a Gah-lik)

Scottish Gaelic, the language of the Scottish Highlands and Islands once spoken throughout Scotland is one of the few Celtic Languages surviving in Western Europe.

Scottish Gaelic is quite different from the Germanic and Romance languages and expresses a distinctive cultural history. Its roots in the British Isles are far older than those of English. Indeed, it is the source of numerous English words: galore (gu le?r), whiskey (uisge beatha), smidgen (smidean) and even the English expression "smashing" (Is math sin..that's good). It is closely related to Irish and Manx Gaelic and more distantly to Welsh, Cornish and Breton. Its use has declined seriously over the past two centuries throughout the world. Gaelic speaking communities are now found only in parts of the Highlands, the outer reaches of the Hebrides and in scattered emigrant communities in Canada.

CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 05:33 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Cù Dubh @ Dec 19 2003, 01:18 AM)
Halò a h-uile duine biggrin.gif

Càit an do fhuair thu an abairt sin Celtic Rose? Cha cuala mi riamh sin, ach tha mise nam fhear-ionnsachaidh fhathast (Thòisich mi an-uiridh agus 's fior thoil leam a' Ghàidhlig cuideachd).. Cuin a thòisich thu a' Ghàidhlig ionnsachadh?

Where did you get that expression Celtic Rose? I've never heard it before, but I am still a learner. (I started last year and I really like Gaelic also). When did you start learning Gaelic?

Tha mi 'n dòchas gum bi deireadh-seachdain math agaibh! biggrin.gif
Hope you all have a good weekend!

Mar sin leibh an-dràsda. beer_mug.gif

Halo, de tha de ah-uile duine?
hello, what's doing everyone

Cu dubh, ciamar a tha thu fhein. tha agam tha mhar from a friend who speaks Gaidhlig. He lives in the Lowlands.

Black dog, How are you yourself? I have tha mhar (greetings)

tha mi gu doigheil, ach cho traing an-drasada.
I am fine but so busy at the moment.

Abheil thu ionnsaichadh Gaidlig?
Are you still learning Gaelic?

Suas leis A' Gaidhlig
Up with Gaelic

Mar sin leat ah-uile duinne.

I started learning a little Gaelic last year, but I do not speak well at all. Was hoping this thread would help me. It is hard to find sites that give pronunciation as well.
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Madainn mhath. Tha gu math tapadh leat, agus tha mi cho trang cuideachd an-dràsda. Tha, tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig fhathast.

Sgriobhaidh mi ann am Beurla a-nis ma tha sin ceart gu leòr...

Celtic Rose I think you & everyone else here are doing great posting the lessons & learning a bit of Gaelic. I know it's more difficult for say someone over in the U.S to learn Gaelic than it is for someone living in Scotland, but I was talking to an American guy last week & he is very fluent in the language, so much so that a native speaker remarked that his accent sounded as if he had been brought up in Skye! Imagine that. So it's more difficult, but not impossible by any means. Also total fluency in the language need not be your goal. Learning a wee bit can be just as fun & rewarding biggrin.gif Soon as i get more time i'm going to check out the rest of this board. Mar sin leibh an-dràsda.

Oh I'll ask around about that greeting. It will be correct if your friend is a Gaelic speaker. I've just never heard it before. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Cu Dubh! Thank you for all your help in here. I wish others would join us. Maybe they are taking notes! biggrin.gif I had never heard of the term for greeting Tha a mhar either until my friend used to say it all the time and spoke Scots Gaelic pretty well and is from Dundee. I think that is the Lowlands unsure.gif The problem I am having is I can remember very very basic stuff, but when it gets harder, then I forget! huh.gif There is so much grammar to learn and keep up with. In my searching last night I came across one site that is really good with grammar and I will post it here. The hardest thing to find on the net are Gaelic phrases!

In the meantime, I will try to translate what you said.

Madainn mhath. Tha gu math tapadh leat, agus tha mi cho trang cuideachd an-dràsda. Tha, tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig fhathast.

(Good morning. I am good thank you, and I am also busy at the moment. I am learning Gaelic yet. )

Sgriobhaidh mi ann am Beurla a-nis ma tha sin ceart gu leòr...
I haven't a clue what you said here! unsure.gif biggrin.gif Something about English though. biggrin.gif

Co dhiu tha egle mhath. Tha sin ualhasach math. Tha mi toilichte ciunntin uat, thoir toigh or fein.

Anyway, I like it. That is really good. I am pleased to hear from you. Take care of yourself.

Here is another pronounciation site.

http://www.akerbeltz.org/fuaimean/roradh.htm

CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey I found this! Gaelic phrases!

http://members.tripod.com/~scotgaelic/phrases.html

Scottish Gaelic Conversational Phrases

for impressing, intimidating, and annoying your
friends, family and pets

Here are a few phrases, mostly simple, some useful, some a bit whimsical, to help you communicate in Scottish Gaelic.

Spoken Scottish Gaelic, unlike spoken English, flows seamlessly from word to word. Practice saying the whole phrase as if it were all one word, with no breaks in it.

Remember that "ch" always sounds like "Bach" or "Loch." And always roll your "R"'s -- though not all over the place, like Groundskeeper Willie on "The Simpsons" -- more as a simple popped "R" sound.

And keep in mind that no pronunciation guide can adequately convey the unique sound of spoken Scottish Gaelic -- anyone interested in an authentic sound should consider trying one of the instructional self-study courses including videotapes and/or audiotapes, to be found on the SGLABA Books page.

Na h-Abairtean (the Phrases)

"Dè an t-ainm a tha oirbh?" (Jeh un TAH-num uh HAW-ruv?) What's your name?

"'S mise.....(insert your name)." (SMIH-shuh...) "My name is..."

"Ciamar a tha sibh?" (KIM-mer uh HAH shiv?) "How are you?"

"Tha gu math, tapadh leibh." (HAH guh MAH, TAH-puh LEH-eev) "I'm well, thank you."

"Dè tha thu a dèanamh?" (Jeh HAH oo uh JEE-ah-nuv?) "What are you doing?"

"Chan eil mi a' dèanamh càil." (chahn-yel mee uh JEE-ah-nuv KAHL) "I'm not doing anything."

"Tha mi airson Gàidhlig ionnsachadh." (hah mee EHR-sawn GAH-lik YOON-sa-hugkh) "I want to learn Gaelic."

"A bheil an t-acras ort?" (Uh VEHL uhn TAH-krus orsht?) "Are you hungry?"

"Ceart gu leòr. Tha an t-acras orm." (Kyarsht guh LYAWR. Hahn TAH-krus AW-rum) "You bet. I'm hungry."

"Bu toigh leam bracaist a ghabhail." (Boo tuh LUH-oom BRAH-kawsht uh GAH-ull) "I would like to have breakfast."

"Càit a bheil an taigh beag?" (KAHTCH uh vehl un tye bek?) "Where's the bathroom?"

"An toir thu dhomh pòg?" (Un TUH-r oo ghawnh pawk?) "Will you give me a kiss?"

"Cha toir, ach bheir mi dhut sgailc!" (Chah TUH-r, ach vehr mee ghoot skahlk!) "No, but I'll slap you!"

"Slàinte mhòr agad!" (SLAHN-tchuh VORR AH-kut!) "Great health to you!" ("Cheers!")

"Nach i tha teth an-diugh?" (nahch ee hah TCHEH un-DJOO?) "Isn't it hot today? (It's hot today.)"

"Bha e brèagha an-de." (Vah eh BREE-uh un-DJEH) "It was beautiful yesterday."

"Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?" (Kaw uhn KEU-ra shin KAW-la root uh CHOO-nik mee uhn-royer?) "Who was that sheep I saw you with last night?"

"Cha b'e sin caora, 'se sin mo chèile a bha innte!" (Chah beh shin KEU-ra, sheh shin moe CHYEH-luh uh vah EEN-tchuh!) "That was no sheep, that was my spouse!"

"Tha gaol agam ort." (Hah GEUL AH-kum orsht) "I love you."

"Tha gaol agam ort-fhèin." (Hah GEUL AH-kum orsht-HEH-een) "I love you too."

"Chan eil fhios agam." (CHAHN-yel iss AH-kum) "I don't know."

"Dè tha thu ag iarraidh?" (jeh HAH oo ug EE-uh-ree) "What do you want?"

"Tha mi ag iarraidh briosgaid!" (hah mi ug-EE-uh-ree BRISS-kahtch) "I want a cookie!"

"'S toigh leam briosgaidean gu mòr!" (STUH LUH-oom BRISS-kaht-chun goo MAWR) "I like cookies -- a lot!"

"A bheil Gàidhlig agaibh?" (uh vil GAH-lik AH-kiv) "Do you speak Gaelic?"

"Tha, beagan." (hah, BECK-un) "Yes, a little."

"Dè thuirt thu?" (jeh HOORSHT oo) "What did you say?"

"Can a-rithist sin?" (kahn uh-REE-isht shin) "Say that again?"

"Chan eil mi a' tuigsinn." (chan-yel mi uh-TOOK-shin) "I don't understand."

"Tha mi duilich." (hah mee DOOH-lich) "I'm sorry."

"Gabhaibh mo leisgeul." (GAHV-iv moe LESH-kul) "Excuse me."

"Ceart gu leòr." (kyarsht guh LYAWR) "Right enough" -- "Okay."

"Tha sin glè mhath!" (hah shin gleh VAH) "That's very good!"

"'S math sin!" (SMAH-shin) "Great!" -- "Terrific!"

"Ma 'se ur toil e." (mah sheh oor TUL-leh) "please."

"Tapadh leat." (TAH-puh LAHT -- also -- TAHplett) "Thank you."

"Mòran taing." (MAW-run TAH-eeng) "Many thanks."

"'Se do bheatha." (sheh doe VEH-huh) "You're welcome."

"Mar sin leibh an dràsda." (mahr shin LEH-eev un DRAHSS-tuh) "Ta ta for now."

Cù Dubh 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

'S e do bheatha.

In the meantime, I will try to translate what you said....

Tha sin ceart. Glè mhath!

A-nise an t-seantans eile a sgriobh mi bha ag radh...
Now the other sentence that I wrote said...

Sgriobhaidh mi - I will write
Ann am Beurla - In Enlish
A-nis - Now
Ma tha sin Ceart gu leòr - If that's Ok.

I asked a native Gael last night about that phrase 'Tha a mhar' & she told me that it doesn't mean anything in Gaelic. I don't want to discredit your friends Gaelic. Everyone learning Gaelic makes spelling or grammatical mistakes, but that phrase doesn't make sense at all in Gaelic. Sorry, but i feel it's better to know than to believe it means something.

tha e gle mhath...I like it

Bhiodh nas fheàrr a radh - 'S toil leam e'
It would be better to say - 'S toil leam e'... I like it.

Anyway that's just a minor point. See you soon.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 05:21 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Cu Dubh! I feel better because I have only heard of this phrase "tha a mhar" from this one person and yet I have had other Gaelic speakers tell me they have never heard of this phrase. so that pretty much settles it. Thank you for researching it for me! Certainly don't want to mislead anyone on this thread. I appreciate your help so very much! And thank you for correcting me on the phrase --- "I like it! " I know very little and find that I depend on you to teach me and others. I so very much appreciate you being here to help me out. Thank you , thank you! notworthy.gif

Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhatha ur newyear.gif

Some more Gaelic verbs and nouns.

tha
haa
hi ha
there is, there are

tha mi
ha mi
sóc / estic
I am

tha thu
ha u
ets / estàs
you are

tha sibh
ha shiv
sou / esteu
you are

tha sinn
ha shing
som / estem
we are

tha iad
ha iat
són / estàn
they are

tha e
ha e
ell és / està
he is

tha i
ha i
ella és / està
she is

am mise?
ø mi shø
sóc jo?
is it I?

is tu (sibh)
is ttu / shiiv
és tu / sou voslatres
it's you

an e?
ø nee? ø nyee?
és (ell)?
is it? is he?

an e seo? ('n e seo?)
ne sho
és aquest...?
is this?

'se so
she sho
això és...
this is...

an robh?
øn rov
hi havia...?
was there, were there

bha
vaa
hi havia
there was, there were

am bheil?
øm veil
hi ha...?
is there, are there

am bi?
øm bii
hi haurà?
will there be?

bithidh
bpii hi
hi haurà
there will be

co tha'n sin?
ko han shin
qui és (allà)?
who is there?

tha mise
ha míi shø
jo sóc / estic
I am

co iad sin?
ko iat shin
qui són aquets?
who are these?

càite 'm bheil?
kaa jøm veil
on és / són ?
where is / where are?

tha e anseo
ha øn sho
és aquí
it is here

co ris tha thu (sibh) bruidhinn?
ko rish ha u (shiv) bru ing
amb qui està parlant?
to whom do you speak?

tha riut-sa (ribh-se)
ha rut sø, ha riiv sø
am tu / vosaltres
to you

cuin a bhitheas?
kun ø viis
quan hi haurà?
when will there be?

cuin a tha?
kun ø haa
quan hi haurà?
when is there?

o chionn ghoirid
okh yunn ghørich
fa poc
a little while ago

ann an tiota
ann øn ji ttø
d'aquí poc
in a little while

ciod e sin?
køtt ee shin
què és això?
what is that?

ciod tuille?
køtt u li
què més?
what more?

dè an dolaidh?
jeen do li
quin mal hi ha?
what harm?

ciod seo?
køtt sho
què és això?
what's this?

thoir / thoiribh toigh
hor (ho riv) dov
ves / aneu amb compte
take care

an cluinn thu / sibh
øn gllu ing u (shiv)
sens? sentiu?
do you hear?

innis / innsibh domh
inish (in shiv) dov
digues / digueu
tell me

na innis / innsibh
na inish (in shiv)
no diguis / no digueu
do not tell

an aithne duit / duibh
øn a nø dut / du iv
coneixes? coneixeu?
do you know?

am bheil fios agad / agaibh
ø veil fis a køt
saps? sabeu?
are you aware?

chan eil fhios a'am
khan eil is aam
no sé
I do not know

chan aithne domh
khan a nø dov
no conec
I am not aware

is aithne domh
is a nø dov
conec
I know

adverbis / adverbs

mòr, gu mòr
moor, gu moor
gran; en gran part
large, largely

ceart, gu ceart
kyarst, gu kyarst
correcte, com cal
right, rightly

an deigh sin
øn jei shin
després
afterwards

rithis, a rithisd
ri hish, ø ri hisht
una altra vegada
again

mu thrath
mu raa
ja
already

an comhnuidh
øn go ni
sempre
always

m'an cuairt
man gu ørshch
al voltant
around

mar
mar
com
as

idir
et jir
gens, en absolut
at all

air falbh
er fa lav
des d'aquí
away

air ais
er ash
cap enrere
back

roimh
roi
abans
before

air deireadh
er je røgh
darrere
behind

gu moch
gu mokh
aviat, d'hora
early

gu brath, am feasd
gu praa, øm faast
per sempre
ever; (future) forever

riamh
rii øv
mai
ever (past)

gu h-anabarrach
gu ha na pa rakh
sumament, molt
extremely

air aghaidh
er ø ghi
endavant
forward

a nasgaidh
ø na ski
de franc
gratis

an seo
øn sho
aquí
here

cia mar
ke mar
com
how

gu dearbh
gut ja rav
és clar
indeed

a-staigh
ø støi
a dins
inside

direach sin
jii rakh shin
exactament!
just so

nis
niish
ara
now

gu tric
gu triikhk
freqüentament
often

a-muigh
ø mui
fora
outside

thairis
ha rish
a través
over (see idioms)

theagamh
he kuv
potser
perhaps

gu h-ainmic
gu ha ni mik
poques vegades
seldom

mar seo, mar sin
mar sho, mar shin
d'aquesta / aquella manera
so

gu h-aithghearr
gu hi yar
aviat
soon

fhathast
ha øst
encara
still (yet)

ansin
øn shin
llavores, allà
then / there

an-diugh
øn ju
avui
today

a-màireach
ø maa rakh
demà
tomorrow

an earar
øn ye rør
demà passat
the day after tomorrow

ro
ro
massa (gran etc)
too

glè
ge lee
molt
very

cia as
ki as
d'on
whence

cuin, nuair
kun? nu ør
quan? quan
when? / when

càite?
kaat jø? far
on? on
where? / where

carson? airson
kar son? er son
perquè? per què
why? why

an-dè
øn jee
ahir
yesterday

an-sud
øn shut
més enllà
yonder

al camp / in the country

tha mi dol mach gus an duthaich
I'm going out into the country
vaig fora al camp
ha mi ddoll makh gøs øn ddu ikh

bheil thu (sibh) dol fada?
are you going far?
va lluny?
veil u (shiv) ddoll fa tø

beagan mhiltean
a few miles
unes quantes milles
bye kan vilt jøn

am faigh mi comhla riut (ribh)?
may I accompany you?
el puc acompanyar?
øm føø mi koo lla rut (riv)?

gheibh, bith mi toilicht' do (bhur) cuideachd fhaotainn
yes, I'll be glad to have your company
si, staré content de la seva companyia
yeiv, bpi mi tto likhj ddo (vur) kut jakht øø tting

an cum sinn an rathad mòr?
shall we keep the high road?
ens quedem a la carretera principal?
øn gum shing øn ra høt moor?

cumadh sa chuid is mo de'n uidhe
yes, most of the way
sí, la majoria del camí
ku mi sø khutj is mu tjen ui

chan eil an rathad comhnard
the road is not even
el camí no és pla
khan neil øn ra høt koo nørrt

tha e air a mhilleadh le claisean nan cuibhle
it is destroyed by the wheel ruts
queda fet malbé per les roderes
ha e eir ø vi lyøkh le klla shøn nan gui lu

sud frith-rath'dan laghach
yonder is a nice footpath
allà hi ha un camí bonic
shutt fri ra ttan llø ghøkh

gabhaidh sinn e
we will take it
l'agafem
gka vi shing r

theagamh nach fhaod sluagh bhi ga'il a cheum seo
perhaps people are not allowed to take this path
potser la gent no tinguin dret a anar per aquest camí
hei køv nakh utt slløa vi gkaal a khyeim sho

faodaidh, tha e cumanta gu leoir
yes, it's quite public
si, és públic ('bastant públic')
fu tte, ha e kø mann ttø gku lyoor

co leis am fearann seo?
whose ground is this?
de qui és aquest terreny?
ko leish øm fe røn sho?

buinidh e do oighreachd
it's part of ____ estate
és una part de l'estat de...
bpu ni e ddo oi rakhk

càite am beil an tigh mòr?
where is the mansion house?
on és la casa pairal?
kaatj øm beil øn ddøi moor?

sin e air a chnoc
there it is on the hill
allà, al puig
shin e eir ø khnokhk

's grinn a tha e air a dhìon le crao'an
it is beautifully sheltered by trees
és abrigat bonicament pels abres
skring ø ha e ar ø yii øn lei kru øn

den t-ait' tha sin air a dhùnadh a-staigh?
what is that fenced place?
quin és aquell lloc tancat?
djen ddaatj ø ha shin er ø ghun nøgh ø støi?

'se sin aite dùinte airson arach easagan is eoin mar sin
that is a preserve for rearing pheasants and such birds
és una reserva per criar faisans i ocellss emblants
she shin aatj ø dduntj ø er son aa rakh e sa køn is yoon mar shin

den tòirm tha sud?
what rumbling noise is that?
què és aquell baluern?
djen ddo rom ha shutt?

'se sud fuaim an eas
that is the noise of the waterfall
és el soroll del salt d'aigua
she shutt fu em øn yeis

feumaidh gum beil e gle mhòr
it must be very large
deu ser molt gran
fei mi gum beil i glei voor

tah e math arda
it is pretty high
és bastant alt
ha e ma aar ttø

càite bheil e?
where is it?
on és?
kaatj ø vel ee?

tha e air taobh thall na coille sin
it is beyond that wood
és més enllà d'aquell bosc
ha ee eir ttuv haull nø koo llyø shin

agus 'se seo tuathanas an uachdarainn?
and this is the proprietor's farm?
i aquesta és la granja del propietari?
a gøs she sho ttu a nøs øn uøkh kø ran

'se
yes

shee

'se briagh ma h-achaidhean sin
these are beautiful fields
aquest són camps bonics
sprii a nø ha khi øn shin

seadh, tha coltach talamh math air
yes, it seems to be good soil
sí, sembla ser bona terra
shugh, ha koll takh ta lløv ma eir

gheibh sinn sealladh math o'n chnoc seo
we can get a fine view from this hill
podem tenir una bona vista d'aquest puig
yeiv shing sha lløgh ma on khnoknk sho

chi mi an amhainn a seo
I can see the river from here
puc veure un riu des d'aquí
khii mi øn a ving a sho

chi, san loch as a bheil i tighinn
yes, and the lake it comes out of
si, i el llac en surt
khii søn llokh as ø veil i tjiing

càite bheil eaglais na sgìre seo?
where is the church of the parish?
on és l'església de la parròquia?
kaatj ø veil ei klash nø skii rø sho

tha i fasig air a chlachan
it is near the village
és aprop del poble
ha e fashk eir ø khla khan

'n e sin am baile beag air an deach' sinn seachad?
is that the little town we passed?
és aquell el poble que hem passat?
nye shin øm ba lø peik eir øn jakh shing sha khøt

'se
it is

she

den t-ait' tha sud?
what place is yon?
quin és aquell lloc més enllà?
djein ddaaj ha shut?

'se sud a mhuilinn
yon is the mill
allà és el molí
she shutt a vu ling

den tigh tha faisg oirre?
what house is near it?
quina casa és aprop seu?
djein ddøi ha fiishk o rø

tha mi'n duil gur e tigh-òsda
I think it's an inn
em fa l'efecte que és un fonda
ha min ddul gur e ttøi oo sttø

's briagh an t-aite seo
this is a beautiful district
és un zona bonica
sprii a øn ddaa tjø sho

's briagh, gu h-araid san t-samhradh
yes, especially in summer
sí, sobretot a l'estiu
sprii a, gku ha ritj søn ddau røgh

Aaediwen 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Ciamar a tha sibhse? Tha e fuer an-diugh, a tha e math.
tha mi ag ionnsachadh na Gàidhlig, cuideachd. Chan eil e gle` mhath sad.gif

Thanks for the thread smile.gif I should have paid more attention to it before, and now my brain is about to explode. I'll need to go through this and my Scots Gaelic text a little more I guess smile.gif

Tapadh Leibh; an-drasda
Danke Schoen, bis morgen
Muchas Gracias

Dass muss immer gesprochen sein
(German: this must always be spoken)

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ Dec 21 2003, 06:39 PM)
Ciamar a tha sibhse? Tha e fuer an-diugh, a tha e math.
tha mi ag ionnsachadh na Gàidhlig, cuideachd. Chan eil e gle` mhath sad.gif

Thanks for the thread smile.gif I should have paid more attention to it before, and now my brain is about to explode. I'll need to go through this and my Scots Gaelic text a little more I guess smile.gif

Tapadh Leibh; an-drasda
Danke Schoen, bis morgen
Muchas Gracias

Dass muss immer gesprochen sein
(German: this must always be spoken)

Halo Aaediwen! Cor math, de do chor fhein? Gle mhath! Is toigh leum Gaidhlig.

Here is somemore Gaelic grammar to make your brain explode. I know mine is about to with all this. maybe it is too much! unsure.gif

Tha mi toiichte cluinntin uat, thoir toigh or fein.

Lesson 3: The Definite Article, the Nominative and Dative Cases

3.1: The Definite Article and the Nominative Case
3.2: The Definite Article and the Dative Case
3.3: Faclair
3.4: Obair
3.5: Obair eile

3.1: The Definite Article and the Nominative Case
There are four seperate cases that a noun may exist in. The most basic of these is the nominative case, the case found when the noun is the subject or direct object of a sentence. A couple of examples will show this explicitly:

Tha an cù aig an doras.

Bha Calum anns an sgoil.
In the nominative case, the definite article can take on different forms depending on what i the gender of the noun is and ii what letter the noun begins with. These cases follow:

Masculine Noun beginning with b, m, p, f
If the masculine noun begins with the letters b, m, p or f, then the definite article changes from an to am. This sequence of letters will occur very often in the grammatical rules and you will soon be very well acquainted with them.

bàta boat
am bàta the boat

monadh moor
am monadh the moor

fear male persone, man
am fear the man

peann pen
am peann the pen

Feminine noun beginning with b, m, p, f
If the feminine noun begins with the letters b, m, p, c or g, then the definite article changes from an to a'. In addition, the nominative feminine noun is lenited, i.e. a h is placed after the initial letter which changes the sound of the noun. If the feminine noun begins with an f, lenition still occurs but the article remains an.

briosgaid biscuit, cookie
a' bhriogcaid the biscuit

min meal, oatmeal
a' mhin the meal

pìob pipe, bagpipe
a phìob the pipe

glas a lock
a' ghlas the lock

caileag a girl, lassie
a' chaileag the girl

fìrinn truth
an fhìrinn the truth

Masculine noun beginning with a vowel
If the masculine noun begins with a vowel then the definite article changes from an to an t-. The sound of the definite article is dependent on whether the initial vowel is slender or broad. Rmemeber that the slender vowels are i and e while the broad vowels are a, o and u.

aran bread
an t-aran the bread

ord hammer
an t-ord the hammer

ìm butter
an t-ìm the butter

eagal fear
an t-eagal the fear

Feminine noun beginning with s
If the feminine noun begins with an s followed by an l, n, r or a vowel then the definite article changes from an to an t-. The sound of the definite article is dependent on whether the initial vowel is slender or broad in exactly the same fashion as that case for masculine nominative nouns beginning with a vowel and taking an t-.

sùil eye
an t-sùil the eye

sràid street
an t-sràid the street

snàthad needle
an t-snàthad the needle

seachdain a week
an t-seachdain the week

3.2: The Definite Article and the Dative Case

Masculine Noun beginning with b, m, p, c, g
In the case of a masculine noun beginning with b, m, p, c or g and being in the dative case, i.e. a noun following one of the simple prepositions: air, aig, leis, ris, anns,, the article changes from an to a' and the noun is lenited, e.g.:

anns a' bhàta in the boat

anns a' mhonadh on the moor

leis a' pheann with the pen

air a' chù on the dog

ris a' ghille to the boy

N.B.: These are special cases showing the form when no definite article is present:

le cù with a dog

ann am bàta in a boat

ri gille to a boy

Feminine noun beginning with b, m, p, c, g, f
For the feminine noun, the dative case introduces the first of several situations where a word must be slenderized, a process that changes the final syllable of a word and makes the vowel sound softer or closer to a slender vowel sound.

Slenderization entails either:

inserting an i after the last broad vowel or

substituting i for the last broad vowel.

If the final vowel is already slender or the noun ends in a, no slenderization takes place.

a' bhriosgaid the biscuit
air a' bhriosgaid on the biscuit
air briosgaid on a biscuit

a' mhin the meal
anns a' mhin in the meal
ann an min in meal

a' phìob the pipe
leis a' phìb with the pipe
le pìb with a pipe

a' ghlas the lock
anns a' ghlais in the lock
ann an glais in a lock

a' chaileag the girl
air a' chaileig on the girl
air an caileig on a girl

an fhìrinn the truth
leis an fhìrinn with the truth
le fìrinn with truth

a' bhròg the shoe
air a' bhròig on the shoe
air bròig on a shoe

a' ghealach the moon
anns a' ghealaich in the moon
ann an gealaich in a moon

a' mhala the eyebrow
air a' mhala on the eyebrow
air mala on an eyebrow

Masculine and Feminine nouns beginning with a vowel
In the dative case, both feminine and masculine nouns beginning with a vowel take an as the definite article. In addition, femine nouns slenderize where possible.

anns an aran in the bread

leis an ord with the hammer

ann an ìm in butter

leis an eagal with the fear

air an eala on the swan

ris an uinneig to the window

air aid on a hat

anns an eaglais in the church

Masculine and Feminine nouns beginning with s followed by l, n, r, vowel
If the masculine or feminine noun begins with an s followed by an l, n, r or a vowel then the definite article changes from an to an t-. Once again, femine nouns slenderize where possible.

air an t-seanair on the grandfather

anns an t-saoghal in the world

aig an t-saighdear at the soilder

leis an t-snàth with the thread

anns an t-sùil in the eye

air an t-sràid on the street

leis an t-snàthaid with the needle

aig an t-seachdain at the week

3.3: Faclair

bàta m. boat
fear m. man, male version of one
té f. woman, female version of one
duine m. person
peann m. pen
briosagaid f. biscuit
min f. meal, oatmeal
mil f. honey
pìob f. pipe, bagpipe
pìob-mhór f. great highland bagpipe
pìoban f. smallpipe
glas f. lock
caileag f. girl, lassie
balach m. lad
gille m. boy
fìrinn f. truth
aran m. bread
ìm m. butter
ord m. hammer
saor m. carpenter, joiner
eagal m. fear
acras m. hunger
sùil f. eye
sràid f. street
rathad m. road
snàth m. thread
snàthad f. needle
seachdain f. week
am m. time
bròg f. shoe
gealach f. moon
grìan f. sun
mala f. eyebrow
eala f. swan
eun m. bird
Iain m. Ian, John
uinneag f. window
ad f. hat
eaglais f. church
seanair m. grandfather
bodach m. old man
seanmhair f. grandmother
cailleach f. old woman
saoghal m. world
saighdear m. soilder
sgreagag f. shrivelled old woman; penurious, stingy woman
sgreagair m. shrivelled old man; close-fisted, stingy man
ceann m. head
sgreab-chinn f. dandruff
sgian f. knife

3.4: Obair

am bàta, am fear, an té, an duine, am peann, a' bhriosgaid, a' mhin, a' mhil, a' phìob, a' ghlas, a' chaileag, am balach, an gille, an fhìrinn.
an t-aran, an t-ìm, an t-ord, an saor, an t-eagal, an t-acras, an t-sùil, an t-sràid, an rathad, an snàth, an t-snàthad, an t-seachdain.
an t-am, a' bhròg, a' ghealach, a' ghrìan, a' mhala, an eala, an t-eun, an uinneag, an ad, an eaglais, an seanair, an t-seanmhair.
am bodach, a' chailleach, an saoghal, an saighdear, an sgreagag, an sgreagair, an ceann, an sgian.

aig a' bhàta, air an , leis an té, ri duine, le peann, air a' bhriosgaid, anns a' mhin, ann an min.
leis a' phìb-mhór, leis a' ghlais, aig a' chaileig, aig a' bhalach, air a' ghille, leis an fhìrinn.
anns an aran, air an ìm, aig an ord, ri an t-saor, anns an eagal, leis an acras, ri sùil, air an t-sràid, air rathad.
air an t-snàth, anns an t-snàthaid, air an t-seachdain, aig an am, anns a' bhròig, air a' ghealaich, anns a' ghrìn.
le mala, aig an eala, air an eun, aig an uinneig, air an aid, ri an eaglais, air an t-seanair, air an t-seamhair.
aig a' bhodach, aig a' chailleaich, anns an t-saoghal, aig an t-saighdear, le sgreagag, leis an sgreagair, air a' cheann, leis an sgian.
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

male

Ceud taing. Nollaig chridheil agus Bliadhna mhath ùr dhut cuideachd Celtic-Rose.

Tha mi gu dòigheil Aaediwen, tapadh leat. Bha i glè fhuar ann an Alba an-diugh cuideachd. Gabhaidh mi steall mhòr uisge-bheatha agus cumaidh mi blàth. wink.gif

A' guidhe gach deagh dhùrachd dhuibh uile aig an àm seo dhen bhliadhna....Nollaig Chridheil bho Alba. king.gif
Wishing every good wish to you all at this time of year...Merry Christmas from Scotland.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]