Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Religious Vs. Spirituality, what is the difference?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Jan-2005, 01:36 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (maryellen @ 18-Jan-2005, 06:34 PM)
"Once again, this is the Christian point of view so as to not offend others. "

Why must we apologize for having a Christain view in a Christian forum (Kirk and Chapel)??!

I find this very disturbing. (I am not blaming you CelticRose at all. I think it has more to do with the audience.)

Well I didn't feel like I was apologizing. I was just stating that this was from a Christian point of view because this topic started in the Kirk and Chapel and ended up here. So since others were expressing their points of view, I was stating mine and saying it was from a Christian perspective because I mostly wanted to answer JPMoore directly to whom is a Christian, if I am not mistaken and doing so without offending others.

I do not like to push my beliefs on anyone, but at the same time I confess as a Christian I find myself feeling like I always have to be careful when I do express my opinion as non-Christians always seem to think I am trying to push my beliefs on them when I think we are just having a conversation. I am open to hearing everyone's point of view, but in my experiences, no one seems to care if the Christian gets offended or not. sad.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 20-Jan-2005, 07:34 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

I believe there is no difference in Religious Vs. Spirituality, that is exactly what Religion is! I mean, what else is religion if it is not a spiritual thing?

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 21-Jan-2005, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (dragonboy3611 @ 20-Jan-2005, 08:34 PM)
I believe there is no difference in Religious Vs. Spirituality, that is exactly what Religion is! I mean, what else is religion if it is not a spiritual thing?

From what I am thinking and reading here, I would say yes...and no.

I see religion (having it or being it) as more of an outward action. Religion is going to church, mosque or synagogue, etc. Religion is action. But that action may not have sincere motives. Religion can be good, but many times it is used for bad.

Spirituality is internal: in the heart, in the the soul.

I ramble.. forgive me...
PMEmail Poster               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 21-Jan-2005, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

Well than I have to put in my other opinion. You can be an avid christian in my eyes, without ever attending church. Church is just a material thing, god, is no were near material. To believe in god, you just need the spiritual aspect of your religion. So in turn, I believe that's the only thing religion is. Attending mass, helping others, true, the religious part of it, but not really truley needed to be devoted to god.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 24-Jan-2005, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

I am glad we can agree to disagree here, without worrying about offending our friends. Religion and Spirituality are intensly personal for most people. There is room for ALL belief systems.
If anybody has a real NEED to be offended though, they can go to the politics forum for their fix of abuse. laugh.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 09-Feb-2005, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Religion is the Hymn. Spirituality is the passion with which you sing it. wink.gif

I am a very spiritual person, and am somewhat religious. I have my faith. Faith is where Spiritualiy really lies. Religion is simply the doctrine that people attach to their faith. And for some, religion is simply what was taught to them, and have no spirituality at all.

Feeling the bread on your tongue is religion (comunion). Standing in the heart of the forest and feeling you're not alone is Spirituality.

I'm not sure how much of that made sense to anyone else.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 09-Feb-2005, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

QUOTE (dragonboy3611 @ 20-Jan-2005, 08:34 PM)

You can be an avid christian in my eyes, without ever attending church. Church is just a material thing, god, is no were near material. To believe in god, you just need the spiritual aspect of your religion. So in turn, I believe that's the only thing religion is. Attending mass, helping others, true, the religious part of it, but not really truley needed to be devoted to god.

There is absolutely a big difference. Religion is the outward following of established practices and traditions. Spirituality is the inward relationship with the higher being of your choice.

Just because a person goes to church does not make them a Christian anymore than sitting in my garage makes you a car.

You said as much in your follow up message: Religion = attending church = a material thing. Spirituality = devotion to God = a mental thing. THAT is the difference.

Erik

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
oldraven 
Posted: 09-Feb-2005, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Just because a person goes to church does not make them a Christian anymore than sitting in my garage makes you a car.

laugh.gif I'm going to have to remember that one.
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 01-Mar-2005, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 09-Feb-2005, 01:08 PM)
Religion is the Hymn. Spirituality is the passion with which you sing it. wink.gif... Faith is where Spiritualiy really lies. Religion is simply the doctrine that people attach to their faith. And for some, religion is simply what was taught to them, and have no spirituality at all. Feeling the bread on your tongue is religion (comunion). Standing in the heart of the forest and feeling you're not alone is Spirituality.

I'm not sure how much of that made sense to anyone else.

Makes sense to me!

Spirituality is so deep, so personal, its different with everyone - I believe each of us has a unique connection/relationship to the creator God. We express ourselves to Him differently, and we have different needs - but there are central core truths as to Gods identity that apply to all of us and are the key to a closer relationship with God.

I think of denominations as a style of worship rather than the thing in which God can be found.

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 29-Mar-2005, 07:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Florida

female

I have to agree with most everyone, especially on the differences between the two. One thing though.... without the religion aspect of sprirtuality most people won't grow any closer to God( or Creator). If I could meet one person that does not go to church and still reads the Bible , and prays , then I promise I will never mention this again.

Monty Python skit: "Oh Reginald, I dissagree."

--------------------
*~Extinction is Forever~*

"For Those Who Can't Speak, We Must" -Tiger Creek
http://www.tigercreek.org/

"Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau

*Cha shoirbh triubhas a chur air cat.
It’s not easy to put trews on a cat.* CR

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Celtic cat 
Posted: 29-Mar-2005, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

I quickly must edit my post as I meant to say. "reads the bible and learns what God intended for us" and also "prays and means it"

I apologize for the miss print
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 29-Mar-2005, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hello there Celtic Cat! Guess what! You've just met one!

My church is having serious problems due to a serious split in the congregation. My wife and I disagree with some things that are happening in our church. We have decided not to go back until the smoke settles. That has been over a year ago. I still read my Bible everyday, as soon as I get out of bed in the morning and before going to sleep each night. I pray daily as well, along with my daily Bible readings and off and on throughout the day. I love God with all of my heart and would never let the problems we are ahving with our church keepme from continuing with my daily devotionals.

I am not saying that people should do without church as a matter of course. We would not be doing without now if given a choice, but we don't want to go to anohter - that is our home church and family after all - but we are not comfortable in ours just now with the way things are. I feel that church is a vital part of the Christian experience, but it is possible to survive without it if necessary, jsut much more difficult.

Remember there are Christians throughout the world who live in places where Christianity is forbidden and have no choice to practice their religion without a church. It IS dificult but it can and in some situations MUST be done.

Just my two cents worth...

May God richly bless each and every one of you!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 29-Mar-2005, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

To quote something I heard recently:

"...religions divide people, spirituality brings them back together..."

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Celtic cat 
Posted: 30-Mar-2005, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

Okay WizardofOwls, a promise I shall keep.
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 01-Apr-2005, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Shadows @ 29-Mar-2005, 10:16 PM)
To quote something I heard recently:

"...religions divide people, spirituality brings them back together..."

Interesting quote...and a very true one indeed.
Thanks Shadows.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]