Elspeth 
Posted: 07-Feb-2006, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Is Kathy Mattea now singing all celtic music, or a mix? I fell in love with her voice years ago when she was singing country. Then the politics of airplay squeezed her off the radio. I read an interview where she said when she couldn't stand the business anymore she would hop a plane to Ireland and hang out in pubs and just make music.

I bought her Roses cd. Modern celtic? American celtic? Can a girl from West Virginia make it as a celtic artist? Who will give her airtime?

The cover for her most current cd was desigend by my high school best friend. Cool, huh?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 07-Feb-2006, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

That would rank a 10 on the coolness meter. Seems like you never see a sucessful artist crossing *INTO* Celtic music. She could do it to. She has a wonderful voice, and I have full confidance in her ability to pull off both modern and traditional Celtic music just as well as anyone played on Highlander (and better than some).

Update:

After visiting her site, it looks like Roses is the only album so far which remotely bills itself as Celtic. I listened to the MP3 of “The Slender Threads That Bind Us” from the website, and it could be classified as Celtic although I'd not expect the whole CD to fit this broadcast, despite Isle of Inishmore. I may have to borrow or buy a copy to see.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 07-Feb-2006, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Ŕgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I always thought Kathy Mattea was a "cutie" and always liked her voice, of course I'm a sucker for a pretty girl, especially if they're from West Virginia (must be the West Virginia "Dna" biggrin.gif I got from my grandmother).

I see there is currently one Kathy Mattea song on the Highlander Radio playlist. Maybe someone with an "in" with artist could get her or her label to send some of her Celtic music to Macfive. Don't forget to point good Celtic artists to the Musicians Needed page here on CR.net. It's good for both they and Highlander radio!! walkman.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
mingkee 
Posted: 22-Feb-2006, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

I have one CD (got it 12 years ago)
she's a Country signer

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]