maggiemahone1 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 21 2003, 07:43 AM)
Hey! Just had to share! I was checking out the www.gencircles.com site and I was actually able to get some more information! I got as far back as 1675 where both my 8th grandfather was born in Yorkshire, England and my grandmother he married was born then too but in Ballyhaken, Ireland! So I have a wee bit of Irish blood too! Cool thumbsup.gif

Maybe were Celtic Cousins! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (maggiemahone1 @ Dec 21 2003, 09:33 AM)
Maybe were Celtic Cousins! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1

With enough research, we're likely all cousins, however distant. We just don't know the precise connections. It seems to me that one of the benefits of researching your own ancestry is discovering just how connected you are to others.
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Rosemary, good job finding that GenCircle web page. I downloaded our family tree last night and gave the system a few hours to compare the info. It matched me up with 3 other people. I'm not related to any of them directly but we are connected. I found a great deal of info that I was missing from the 3 connections.
When more people find out about that page and get their info on there, I suspect there will be a lot of family reunions. Saves a lot of time and was really simple to download the Family tree Maker info that I had.

For anyone doing a family tree and using any of the software programs, by all means go to the page and get your info on there. As you update your info, you are given the option to update on GenCircle to. That's a nice luxury, compared to other genealogy pages that only allow you to post again. That can get very confusing for someone comparing info.

once again, Rosemary, good job thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Shrule! Thanks for your support. I found most of my research on Rootsweb and that was how I got in contact with a distant cousin who had more information. Then I found gencircles and found even more info! I was so excited that I sent it to her last night and she wrote me back t his morning! She said that there was a book written by one of our cousins, Bruce Whitaker, who is a historian! He wrote a whole book about our Whitaker family! She said she would try to contact him and see if he has anymore books so I can get one. She also sent me pages of exerpts from the book with pictures of our grandfathers!

Now a question I have to ask you all. I just bought the software, Family Tree Legacy 4.0. That was all I could find. I haven't used it yet, but is this the software you all use or should I have gotten another version? Also, I am not sure how to upload all this info on gencircles but will try to figure it out. I am so excited!

Now if I could find out the info on my grandfather Sutton side, that would be a charm too! Thanks again!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Rosemary, I'm running Family Tree Maker 8.0 version. On the FTM page, they are selling the 11.0 version. FTM is made by Mattel, the toy company.
It looks like you have a different company. The one you have has already been upgraded to a 5.0 version. go to http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ for the details. Not familiar with that one but most of them have agreed to follow the GEDCOM standards and your version is compatible.

Hope that helps, Mike
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

When you are finally ready to download your tree to GenCircle, it will ask what program you are running, just go to the section that shows the directions for your program, I printed them out, it was easier to follow that way. It was really simple. You need to give it a few hours before your information can be viewed. It organizes everything and matches you up with other information that others have sent in.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 22-Dec-2003, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hi Mike! Thank you so much for the time you took to help me out. Hmmmm.....I am thinking that maybe I ought to just go ahead and upgrade to 5.0 before I even get started or do you think it would matter that much. It looked pretty good, although 4.0 was voted PC Magazine's choice of the year. But the 4.0 was made in 2002 and the 5.3 is probably better. Should have asked you guys first before I went out and bought. I had heard of Family Tree and I was thinking this Legacy was the same thing as what everybody else's Family Tree software was. That's what I get for thinking, huh? biggrin.gif

Thanks again.
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

I can't see it being a problem running the version that you bought. It meets the standards and that's what really counts.
I don't think I would waste any more time on having second thoughts about it. Rip open the box and fire it up. Have fun!!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks again, Mike! I will do just that. How is your searching going?
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Still waiting for a reply from 2 people. They aren't related but we are connected. Other than that, I haven't come across anyone or anything new in the last few days, but that's what it's all about. I have to many feelers out there, that I know I will get responses somewhat frequent. So, I really don't get concerned about it. It's also the holidays, so this time of year is usually slow. People don't have that much time to be on their computers.

Don't worry, the treasures will come!!!!!!!
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

One suggestion I would strongly recommend for those running a family tree program, is to make sure you save your whole file. You never know when your computer might crash and you can lose everything. If your computer has the capability of recording cd's, make sure you use the cd-rw type. This way, as you add new information to your tree, you can erase the disc and reburn your updated file.
If you have a floppy drive, most likely, you can't save your file that way. It just won't hold enough information. My current file was over 41 MB and a floppy only holds 1.44 MB. You may have to look into one of the zip drives on the market, if you don't have one already.
Wouldn't hurt either if you occasionally printed out a copy, just in case the cd is corrupt.

You worked to hard to get were you are, SAVE YOUR FILES!!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 02:28 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh thanks Mike! I never thought about saving the info on a CD-RW disk. I just loaded a bunch of information last night on my program. Tried to upload it both on Gencircles and Rootsweb. Hope it worked. I need to go check. Funny thing is is that I was reading the message board and several of us connected to my 7th great-grandfather are all looking for info on him too! We're all stuck right there with him. He got lost in the woodpile somehow. biggrin.gif
katydid15 
Posted: 27-Dec-2003, 11:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: NC, USA

female

Hi! I've been reading the genealogy forum. I just joined and it was (naturally) the first forum I chose.

I found cousins (or rather they found me) on rootsweb, too, and filled in lots of information I didn't have. I now have info on my dad's family, Brannon, back to 1723 Ireland. His mother descended from the MacArthurs but I don't have documentation on her side of the family yet. My other two grandparents were also Irish ~ Shell and Carden.

Now I've found you, I'll be back. wink.gif

Kathy

--------------------
Three people who will please the Gods: they who love all living beings with all their heart, they who love every beautiful thing with all their strength, and they who seek every knowledge with all their understanding.
-- A Triad of Druid Wisdom
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 28-Dec-2003, 12:15 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Welcome Katy! So good to have you join us!

One of my great-grandmothers is an McArthur. Havent' been able to find much info on her, but in time I hope to. Been just working on two other names right now, Whitakers and Suttons. I'll eventually get to the wifes and husbands and hope to find whereabouts my McArthur is from, Ireland or Scotland. So far I have been told it could be either. See ya later! wink.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]