Posted: 18-Mar-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

http://azstarnet.com/news/state-and-region...1cc4c03286.html

A Navajo member of a group of Marines who developed a code based on their native language during World War II has died.

Lloyd Oliver’s death Wednesday leaves just one of the original 29 Navajo Code Talkers surviving.

Hundreds of Navajos followed in the footsteps of the original 29, sending thousands of messages without error on Japanese troop movements, battlefield tactics and other communications critical to the war’s ultimate outcome.

Navajo President Ben Shelly has ordered flags across the reservation lowered from Friday through Monday in honor of Oliver.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 19-Mar-2011, 09:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

This makes three Code Talkers we have lost in the past few weeks. There is only one surviving of the Original 29 and less than 60 total left. I have had the privilege of meeting some of them and attending their association meetings. They are truly humble and great men, a national treasure.

There is a website run by and for the Code Talkers. They are attempting to get a museum built in Tse Bonito, New Mexico, near the Navajo capital of Window Rock, Arizona. The website is very informative and I encourage anyone with an interest to stop by. There is also a link to contribute to the future museum. The website address is:
www.navajocodetalkers.org

Thanks for this post, Patch! These guys are worthy of all the good things that can come their way! Lord bless!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 20-Mar-2011, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I came across several (4 I believe) when I lived near the Southern Ute Indian Reservation in the 4 corners region of Colo. That was over 40 years ago. They performed a remarkable service for us during WW2. It was supposedly the nature of their language that made "code talking" possible. I could understand bits of Southern Ute language, the Jacarilla Apache and Hispanic of sorts but the Navajo was impossible for me to decipher. Sadly an important part of our history will soon have left us. Those that I had the opportunity to talk with had little to say other than they served and they did a job. If they had not been pointed out by others I would have never known.

I sent a check and sincerely hope they get their monument.

Slàinte,

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
MacFive 
Posted: 07-Apr-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #105
199,827 Gold!

These men are part of the greatest generation. I remember in school we were taught that without the code talkers it is very possible things would not have turned out the way they did.

Thanks for posting this Patch. Alot of our WII hereos are passing away now and it is sad that we are losing their wisdom and stories. A museum would be a great way to honor their memory and save their stories for future generations.
haynes9 
Posted: 16-Apr-2011, 10:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

My daughter and her husband and children were in town for a visit. We went to Junction Restaurant after hiking in Canyon de Chelly. Sitting in the dining room was Navajo Code Talker Teddy Draper. It was a joy to visit with him for a few minutes. He had his Code Talker regalia on and was very friendly as usual.

There are less than sixty of these men left and only one of the Original 29. I would once again encourage anyone interested to check out their website. If you get a chance to see them at a public event, don't miss the opportunity!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]