Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Marmalade
Catriona 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I'm going to make some marmalade at the weekend. The Seville oranges are in the shops already - and my store of home made marmalade is getting low.
Ordinary oranges don't quite work - they are not tart enough.

This post has been edited by Catriona on 28-Jul-2004, 05:09 PM
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

Sounds yummy!!!! I will have to try this. I have been wanting to do more with jellies, jams, perserves and so on. MMMmmm I have said it many times before, but thank you for posting these recipes.
You should do a cook book Cat!!!!! Seriously, food is a vast history too. It could be combined with little tidbits of information etc... I would be you first internet sale. wink.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Catriona 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

BLUSH cool.gif

I just love to cook! I don't want the traditional cuisine of my country disappear in a blizzard of MacDonalds and Starbucks!

Mind you, I'm not advocating a haggis or Irn Bru shop on every corner, either. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Jason
You may have realised that I like Delia Smith's recipes. This bread and butter pudding, made with marmalade is great. She recommends chunky marmalade - I normally cut the peel a little thinner than the type called 'chunky'.... but the results are just as good! It is so 'more-ish' as we say.... cool.gif This is from one of Delia's books.

Chunky Marmalade Bread and Butter Pudding - by Delia Smith

Is there anyone, anywhere who doesn't like bread and butter pudding? If you're a devoted fan, then this is bread and butter pudding as you've always known it, but with the added extra of Seville orange marmalade, chunky candied peel and grated orange zest ? a delightfully different combination, which produces another winning version of an old-time favourite. Bread and butter pudding is served a lot in restaurants nowadays, but none is as good as the home-made version, which, for me, has to have a crunchy top to contrast with a soft fluffiness inside.

Serves 4-6

2 rounded tablespoons dark chunky orange marmalade
6 slices white bread, from a good-quality large loaf, 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick with crusts left on
2 oz (50 g) softened butter
10 fl oz (275 ml) whole milk
2 1/2 fl oz (60 ml) double cream
3 large eggs
3 oz (75 g) sugar
grated zest 1 large orange
1 level tablespoon demerara sugar
1 oz (25 g) candied peel, finely chopped

You will also need a baking dish, base 7 x 9 inches (18 x 23 cm) and 2 inches (5 cm) deep, lightly buttered.

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 350ºF (180ºC).

First, generously butter the slices of bread on one side, then spread the marmalade on 3 of these slices, and put the other 3 slices on top (buttered side down) so you've got 3 rounds of sandwiches. Now spread some butter over the top slice of each sandwich and cut each one into quarters to make little triangles or squares.

Then arrange the sandwiches, butter side up, overlapping each other in the baking dish and standing almost upright. After that, whisk the milk, cream, eggs and sugar together and pour this all over the bread. Scatter the surface of the bread with the grated orange zest, demerara sugar and candied peel, then place the pudding on a high shelf and bake it for 35-40 minutes until it's puffy and golden and the top crust is crunchy.

Serve the pudding straight from the oven while it's still puffy, with either crème fraîche or chilled pouring cream.

THIS IS DELICIOUS!

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]