Bookmark and Share
vorlich 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHawthorn

male

Hi, having left Scotland many moons ago, I had lost touch with the music over there. I still loved what I remembered; that was the voice of Kenneth MacKellar, the band of Jimmy Shand, accordian playing of Arthur Spink etc etc. Although I have these kinds of cd's in my collection, I admit to being totally ignorant about the way that the music has evolved since. The eye-opener (ear-opener!) came when I went to an Old Blind Dogs concert here in my town. They blew me away! You are probably familiar with the group. I now have the cd, Old Blind Dogs- Fit? and it's just great. Love most tracks. Now track 5 is an instrumental called Country Girl. Just love the way they do this. It still identifies the traditional roots and yet has a modern twist to it, if you follow me. The question of this thread directed to folks who would help this auld Scot is which way do I turn to continue my music education? Are there other groups which use whistles, harmonica, pipes, fiddles equally effectively? I would appreciate your recommendations. Many thanks,- Vorlich
PMEmail Poster               
UrchinGirl 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

Realm: North Carolina

female

Vorlich, I think I can help you. And of course the first group I'm going to mention is Hunting McLeod. They are amazing. So full of energy and life during their performances. They've taken wonderful Celtic tunes and turned them slightly modern, while still keeping the traditional about them. Their pipe player is... superb, one of the best I've ever heard and dear, kind man. You can learn more about them at http://www.huntingmcleod.com This is also where you can purchase their CD Battlefield

There is also Smithfield Fair, another group I've seen at Celtic Festivals. Another amazingly beautiful rendition of traditional Celtic music. You may find more information about them at http://www.smithfieldfair.com

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. happy.gif

--------------------
As always I remain.
The Urchin: Anna

--Hug a tree, they need hugs too!--
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

Oh! I think this information could also help me out!!!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 25-Nov-2004, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Tune in and have a listen smile.gif There will be plenty of Scottish artists to crop up. Some that come to mind are Dougie MacLean, Steven McDonald, Capercaillie, Rise....

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Mountain Legacy -- Born in the isles, raised in Appalachia
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
vorlich 
Posted: 26-Nov-2004, 03:04 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Hi Urchingirl and Aaediwen, many thanks! I am going to follow up on your recommendations for sure. Just goes to show that the pipes have more versatility than many folks ever suspected! I like how in the Old Blind Dogs number (track #5)how with the fiddle and whistle the emotion seems to be increasing and just when you think it couldn't get any better, the pipes blast on to the scene and the excitement ratchets up still more! Fantastic! Thanks again, looking forward to hearing that great piper. - Vorlich
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt