Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,102432,00.html

Does the US need an official language? Spain and France even have an Academy to rework their language.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 09-Nov-2003, 05:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I think we should. There are to many road signs now and to think of even more in foreign languages. When people immigrate to the US they are suppose to pass a language test which is usually done through speaking with your examiner and such.

I personally feel this requirement needs to be better tested itself for immigrants except maybe in certain cases. I know around here we have a lot of Hispanic immigrants and while hard workers a lot of them can barely speak any English. I mean talk to some and they go look to their supervisor to have him/her listen to what you're saying because they didn't understand themselves. I think in order to get a green card you should have to speak English fluently enough to understand and be understood. Or at least give them a temp card long enough to take a government class on the English language at their own expense as their the ones wanting to immigrate. When my wife immigrated in 92 she already spoke English better then a lot of Natives (She'll disagree of course but I feel so at least wink.gif )

But I feel if people are going to immigrate and work in the US they should be willing to learn the language. A lot of the Hispanics in this area work in the service area and what happens if they can not properly read a label on a cleaning product that says don't mix with that or wear this protection or what have you if they can't understand it then it causes even more problems.

That is how I feel with the signs. Stick to one language (English) and make those wanting to immigrate here learn the language well enough to be understood and understand what is being said around them and be able to read the signs. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 09-Nov-2003, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I know in the USA when we have other's from other countries come here and take tests that require a license, Dr License, Nursing License, Barber and Beauty License at all of the State Boards you must speak enough English to pass the tests without an Interpretor...the reason is the Interpretor could give the Examinator the correct answer for you......but how come when they enter the work force they don't get it...something is missing here.

When our forefathers came to America, you had to blend in with the culture here...there were no cultural rights...that's the reason we call our country " the melting Pot" cause everyone must do the same and accept our standards and speak our language...keep your cultural characteristics cause that makes you special but be able to speak with others in your Country...

first and foremost, let's get back to Reading, Writing, and Arithematic in the public schools and teach our children things that will prepare them for tomorrow...

Annabelle is getting off her soap box now......ooops, no she's fall off of it!
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 09-Nov-2003, 07:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Oh don't even get me going on Drivers Liscenses.

And didn't I warn you about those all day drinking binges LOL wine.gif beer_mug.gif cheers.gif beer.gif partytime.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 09-Nov-2003, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

One would think that employers would be a bit more pro-active. Last week I had to replace the CD burner in my lap-top. Two companies had the part according to a web search, one in New York and one in New Jersey. First, called the place in New York, which listed the part for the cheapest price. After struggling for 10 minutes I gave up and called New Jersey. I don't what language the fellow in New York speaks, and don't really care. The customer service rep I spoke with at the New Jersey outfit is obviously not a native-speaker of the language, but he none-the-less was able to converse in English. The English-speaking service rep in New Jersey made the sale, even though the part was $20.00 more from his company.

If I'm doing business overseas I'll hire an interpretor. When I'm doing business in my own country I'll do it in English or I'll find an English speaking competitor.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 09-Nov-2003, 11:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

I have to agree that they should speak and read english.. There are several people where I work that can't speak english.. This can make things very frustrating. On some things there are certain ways they have to be done and they can't read the special instructions. They also will not ask if they don't know what it says. I have always felt that if I was to go to another country, then it was my responsibility to learn enough of the language to make myself understood.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
scottish2 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 05:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I know even when I travel abroad I try and at least learn the basics. For instance I know just enough Japanese to be able to ask how much or where something is (Providing I know what the subject is in Japanese), So if I can learn enough Japanese to converse for just a weeks visit they should be more then willing to learn English for a lifetime. I also wonder how many of these non English speakers are legal? Why would they not want to take a class? Are they legal or are they illegal and not wanting to fill out any more forms then neccessary? unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 06:23 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I don't know about the rules in the USA, but here in the UK, people do not have to be able to talk the language to become citizens; and in some cases, particularly in certain immigrant groups, the women barely leave the house, and NEVER leave their community. They therefore do not need to speak English sad.gif However, I believe that all newcomers SHOULD have a modicum of English, even if it is just enough to get by and to fill in the benefits forms etc, that so many require.

There is much discussion about this in the UK at the present time.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 07:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

I know here in the US it is a requirement. I know when my wife immigrated from Japan she had to know how to speak English to get her citizenship but a green card (Not citizen yet) you don't have to as far as I know but feel there should be a test for at least the most basic of communication skils.

I remember awhile back some Japanese students were killed because they didn't understand what was being said it was a national issue as was published around the country. but this Japanese student came out and the cops said freeze and the student thought he said please meaning please come here and the kid was shot due to this lack of understanding. sad.gif

I'll try and dig up the story though was a number of years ago so not sure if I will find it or not if I do I will post the story.
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

It's very unusual that a Japanese Student would be killed due to a language barrier....The Japanese culture is very big on education!

Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well it's not that he didn't know English it's that there are some words that Japanese because of their own language just can't pronouce or understand easily certain words so in this case freeze and please were confused. but he was shot and killed now what would happen if a person who doesn't speak a lick of English was there you can see where this can lead to confusion when confronted by law enforcement or other dificult things like Valpal59 stated as did I. If a person can't not read or speak English then how is he or she going to be able to perform any job competently if they can't understand the bosses instructions or read instructions on how to use a certain product which can in and of itself be dangerous.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Nov 10 2003, 10:04 AM)
It's very unusual that a Japanese Student would be killed due to a language barrier....The Japanese culture is very big on education!

Annabelle

Oh it happened alright and on Holloween! I don't remember the details but it was in the national news!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
scottish2 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Yeah I tried finiding the story but as I said being several years ago I struck out finding it. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 10-Nov-2003, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

I am mostly Irish. We came here about one hundred years ago-- abused, treated like scum, refused to be served or housed. (sound familiar?) Thousands of Irish flooded America's doors due to the potato famine (in general of course). Why don't I see signs in Irish? The American English langage has more French words in it than Irish. Those that came before us had to work hard, learn the language. Why is it different now?
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 11-Nov-2003, 03:01 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

If you are going to join a culture (not necessarily become a citizen, but just live there), and enjoy the benefits of living in that culture, then you owe that culture the politeness of attempting assimilation.

If I were to move to Munich, I wouldn't expect the residents to suddenly start putting street signs up in English, making all of the restaurant menus bilingual or requiring all government employees to speak English as well as German. I would do the culture the courtesy of learning the language, preferably prior to moving there. thumbs_up.gif beer_mug.gif

No, the United States doesn't have a statute saying that English is the official language of this country. But English is the de facto language, and if someone wants to get ahead in the US, they need to learn English. Period. Do we need a law making English the official language? No, we have enough laws as it is. That is part of the problem. sad.gif

Just my tuppence. I am really not a xenophobe, I swear. biggrin.gif

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]