Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

My tip for the hopeless Scotland addict wink.gif : a few shorter trips where ye get a general feeling of the country and what you might want to explore in more detail. Then go back and stay only at a couple of places that you have chosen and savour them to the full smile.gif.

Scotland has such a variety of activities for all sorts of intests and characters, it shouldn't be hard to find something ... Walking in Alba of course is something I deeply recommend , just remember to bring the right equipment. Even Skye' s own "wee hills", i. e. The Cuilling and the Storr, claim a number of lifes every year ... mainly because tourists keep underestimating them. The ground usually is never as gentle as it looks and no path is as straight forward as it looks, allways count on a river or two that have to be crossed ... I bet that goes for other Scottish Mountains as well. Saying all that, it is well worth all effort , because you wont see a wilder and more beautiful landsape rolleyes.gif

Just be prepared to get on board , eh wink.gif

And careful ..., ye might get stuck there , alas ... laugh.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Moon Child 
Posted: 13-Apr-2005, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

I just want to say thank you for the advice!!! happy.gif We were thinking of doing a tour but as it stands were also thinking of driving too, we haven't really decided yet. We planning on going for a month at least and want to see as much as we can. But we also don't really want to do a tour for the reason of just getting into something and have to move on. On the other hand it would take some getting use to driving on the other side of the road!! blink.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Aragorn 
Posted: 14-Apr-2005, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Ah, but that is part of the total experience. To drive on the wrong (right) side of the road, hehe. tongue.gif One word: FREEDOM!! Whatever you do and however you decide to tour Scotland, the most important thing to remember is enjoy ever second of it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
BDougher 
Posted: 06-May-2005, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: USA

male

I too will be traveling to Scotland. My trip is a bit shorter than the one asked abotu earlier. I am taking a Soccer Coaching License for a week and then plan a couple of days after that for rest and relaxation, probably mostly from the goalkeeping for a week. What places can you recommend around the Glasgow area as I will be based at the Scottish FA Training Grounds in Glasgow?

Thanks,

Brian

P.s. ANy information about making the trip easier as in hints about the airlines and different things that we would assume would be there but aren't would be good to hear from the experienced travelers of Scotland.

--------------------
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
John Wooden
PMEmail Poster               
Nancy-Raven 
Posted: 07-May-2005, 06:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

I'm planning to do a trip next year or max the year after , well because it is expensive.My choice is France , England and of course Scotland.I don't think I could stay a month but a few weeks.The adress give by everyone will really help to plan where exactly I will go.
PMEmail Poster               
BDougher 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

male

I'll let you know more when I return from my trip. So far just surfing the web and advice from CR in other forums has helped a lot.

Good luck with your plans,

Brian
PMEmail Poster               
Moon Child 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

Enjoy your trip to Scotland BDougher!!! Take lots of photo.gif and let us know how your trip goes as soon as you get back!!!
PMEmail Poster                
BDougher 
Posted: 28-May-2005, 09:02 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

male

I am really looking forward to it. I just got another memory card for my camera, so I wouldn't run out of space. No matter what happens, rain or shine, which wouldn't be much different from here in Massachusetts, I am going to have a good time. Soccer and driving and exploring, this is going to be fun.

Brian
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-May-2005, 12:25 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I am hoping to go to Scotland either next year or the year after. We had originally planned for this year but some unexpected things happened in our lives that prevented it so. I like what Faileas had to say as she lives there and I didn't know about the being careful where you walk part.

Hubby wants to drive and stay in B&Bs. He says that's the best way to see a country and experience the people. He visited NZ for three weeks before we were married and drove on the other side of the road with no problem, he says. He said that he would like to take a few train rides though. We will only be able to go for 10 days max so I have to take in as much as I can in a short amount of time.

Here's my plan: Fly into Glasgow, then onto Edinburgh to Stirling to Inverness, Culloden Moor is a must for me too, then down Glencoe, Fort William and back down to Glasgow to fly home. I want to see castles too, but not sure if any will be on that path. Anybody know?

Brian, when is your trip?
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
BDougher 
Posted: 30-May-2005, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

male

Mine is June 23rd to July 5. I am flying into Glasgow and staying there for 2 days, then traveling to Largs for a Soccer Coaching/ Goalkeeper Clinic. From there all I know is I fly out of Glasgow on the 5th. I will probably head north and East to spend some time in Edinburgh and beyond that, where ever my heart and map take me.

BTW, does anyone know if I need to get an adapter for my electronics when it comes to wall outlets. I am assuming that they run on the 220 system.

Brian
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-May-2005, 05:25 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh my! your trip will be pretty soon then! Lucky duck!

From what I understand, you do have to get an adapter for your electronics. But that is one area I have not looked into further.
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 31-May-2005, 02:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

Glasgow has some great places to visit CR. There's the Burrel Collection. Created when Sir William Burrell gifted his collection of over 9,000 works of art to Glasgow. Also the Kelvingrove Art Gallery. It's closed right now for refurbishment, but it should be open by the time you get round to your visit. Glasgow Cathedral is another great place and has the tomb of St. Mungo in the lower church. Just across the road from the cathedral is the oldest house in Glasgow - Provand?s Lordship built in 1471. The people's palace is another favourite of mine. Which tells of the history and the people of Glasgow. The Botanic Gardens is worth a visit too. Glasgow has plenty of great shops. So they're worth a vista too.
As far as castles. Well, you'll be in Edinburgh & Stirling. They have the two of the greatest castles in Scotland, but they're are castles just about everywhere in Scotland.
I'm pretty sure you do need an adapter for electrical appliances.

--------------------
Bruidhinnibh Gàidhlig Rium.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-Jun-2005, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks so much Cu Dubh for telling me all the places to see in Glasgow. I have heard there are some great art galleries and a museum there as well.......all that I want to see. I also want to see a lot in Edinburgh. There is the Royal Mile where Princess Street, is there not? Plus the castle there. Cu Dubh and Faileas do you think I can make a trip like this in 9-10 days? I want to see

Glasgow
Edinburgh
Stirling
Inverness
Culloden Moor
Fort William
Glencoe
Loch Lomond
then back to Glasgow to fly home.

That is all the time I can take cause we own a business and can't leave it for long. It may be the only time I get to see Scotland. I don't know. I know it is a lot to take in, but I hear Scotland isn't that big of a country.

Anyway, I talked to hubby seriously last night about the desire to want to go so badly and he said well let's plan for next fall. So that is when we are going to try. I hear flights are lower then, but it may be pretty cold then too. What do you all think?

Cù Dubh 
Posted: 02-Jun-2005, 02:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

It's possible CR. Scotland's a small country, but it will still be a wee bit of a rush to go to all those places, but you will see more of Scotland. Autumn in Scotland can mean beautiful sunshine or wind & rain. There's no way of telling really. I'd bring summer clothes & waterproofs. Yes the Royal mile is in Edinburgh & the castle of course. You can't miss the castle. It sits high up on a hill over looking the royal mile.
PMEmail Poster               
Iain A.D. 
Posted: 02-Jun-2005, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Edinburgh, Alba

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 30-May-2005, 07:25 AM)
I am hoping to go to Scotland either next year or the year after.

Hubby wants to drive and stay in B&Bs.  He says that's the best way to see a country and experience the people.  He visited NZ for three weeks before we were married and drove on the other side of the road with no problem, he says. 

Hi Rose

If you ever do get over to oor wee land please dont miss out on the Borders. Scenery might not be as "dramatic" as the Heilan's but there are so many lovely areas to see (castles, palaces, villages,gardens etc).

Interesting that Fred did a 3 week tour of NZ. Guess what I am doing next year ?? wink.gif My young brother Murray has been out there for 3 years now and we are going to tour the country next April. Will be difficult trying to fit everything into 3 weeks

unsure.gif

--------------------
Hush ye, hush ye, little pet ye.
Hush ye, hush ye, do not fret ye.
The Black Douglas shall not get ye.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]