Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Venison
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

If you look at the bottom of the page, you will see that there are four pages of recipes... just click on one of them and you will find loads of Scottish recipes biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

Elspeth,
You'll be wanting to go to a health food or natural food store and get steel cut oats, it's as close as you'll get to " the real stuff" unless you live near an import store and can get the REAL "real stuff"! (unless Cat has another suggestion.)

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

OK, here's a real stupid question... What exactly is the difference between our Quaker Oats and real Scottish oats? And how processed is the oatmeal of Scotland? My cousins have a farm and a granary full if oats. What must be done to them to make oatmeal that is real? Sorry, have always been interested in the difference.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
3Ravens 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 08:37 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Cat, this one's yours.....
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

BTW, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Sep 22 2003, 03:28 PM)
OK, here's a real stupid question... What exactly is the difference between our Quaker Oats and real Scottish oats? And how processed is the oatmeal of Scotland? My cousins have a farm and a granary full if oats. What must be done to them to make oatmeal that is real? Sorry, have always been interested in the difference.

We can get processed 'porage' oats (note the strange spelling!) like Quaker and Scott's (which is processed in Scotland, by the way)... But these processed oats don't make 'real' porridge, and they are not suitable for quite a number of dishes that are traditional ones.....

As for what happens to them, I'm not really sure - I know that oats have to be dried and rolled - what the process called Steeel Cut is, I have absolutely no idea - but most of my American friends assure me that only those oats which are so treated can be used in my recipe...... biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 22-Sep-2003, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Steel cut oats are the closest thing to the oats ( natural processed ) that you have there over the big pond!
Cut is a misnomenclature (spl) these oats are cut from the stalk and rolled through steel rollers and that is it. They are not over processed ( steamed, pr-cooked, or anything removed) as is the case with the name brands of oats here in the colonies.

If you look at your grocer you can find 100% natural steel cut oats, these are what you want to use in Scottish cooking, not the stuff that turns out mealy and mushy!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
Shadows 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

This is not true Scot, more Germanic, but if you use a mixture of Cider and Malt vinegars it is tuely delightfull.

Recipe Name: JACK PINE SAVAGE VENISON ROAST
Category: 18TH CENTURY
Serves: 6

SOURCE BULL COOK AND AUTHENTIC HISTORICAL RECIPES

1 Quart vinegar
1 Quart water
1 Tblsp salt
8 Whole bay leaves
8 Whole cloves
1 Large venison roast
1/4 Pound bacon
1/4 Pound beef suet
salt and pepper
1 Clove garlic,chopped

Remove all fat from the venison.

Mix the water and vinegar in equal portions, enough to cover roast. Add a tablespoon of salt for every quart of water. Add the bay leaves , cloves, and chopped garlic to this mixture. Using your knife run it into the meat every square inch to allow the liquid to penetrate. Place the roast in this mixture and allow to stand for 24 hours in a very cool place.
Remove the roast from the liquid and drain. Rinse slightly in cold water and dry with a cloth. Put the roast where it is cold for an hour or two until the meat is cold and firm. Salt and pepper the roast well.
Get a piece of suet and some bacon. Cut both into pieces about 3 inches long and 1/4-1/2 inch thick.Using your knife push the point into the top of the meat and then push forward to make an opening in back of it. Place the pieces of suet and bacon into this opening. Do this once for every square inch of the roast. Now lay strips of suet and bacon on top of the roast completely covering the top.
Place the roast in a roasting pan or dutch oven. Put 1/4 inch of water or wine in the bottom of the pan. Roast slow in a 325f oven until done. **If using a dutch oven place the majority of the coals on the lid.**Baste frequently with the juices from the pan. Keep the liquid level in the pan to 1/4 inch. Do not over cook.
It will take about 25-30 minutes per pound.
If you wish you can roast vegetables with the roast, this will help keep it moist.

Editors Note:
This takes a lot of work to prepare but it is some of the best venison you will ever eat. I have served this to people that say they don't like venison, they came back for seconds.
fireflyr72 
Posted: 20-Oct-2003, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Where the heck is Tylersport Pensyvania?

male

For all of us here in the States,
I have found a decent supplier of scottish steelcut oats.
Go to www. Bobsredmill.com.
I'm lucky my local grocery ( Clemens) has it in stock most of the time.
There must be another Scot in the area cause every time I go in and buy a bag there are usually only two or three bags left and they come six to the box wink.gif

Fireflyr72

--------------------
Whiskey and fresh horses for me men, for tonight WE RIDE!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]