Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mexico Swine Flu, New Strain!, Spurs global epidemic fear.
Patch 
Posted: 24-Apr-2009, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

A hew strain of swine flu is suspected in killing of dozens of people in Mexico, Authorities there closed schools, and other public places on Friday to try to contain an outbreak that has raised concerns of a global flu epidemic.

The worrisome new virus, which contains genetic material from pigs, birds and humans also sickened at least eight people in the American South West, though there have been no deaths in the here.

This is another problem we do not need!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 24-Apr-2009, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I agree Patch we don't need this on top of everything going on. sheesh!

Questions and answers about swine flu
By The Associated Press The Associated Press
Friday, April 24, 2009 6:45 PM EDT

Q. What is swine flu?

A. Swine flu is a respiratory illness in pigs caused by a virus. The swine flu virus routinely causes outbreaks in pigs but doesn't usually kill many of them.

Q. Can people get swine flu?

A. Swine flu viruses don't usually infect humans. There have been occasional cases, usually among people who've had direct contact with infected pigs, such as farm workers. "We've seen swine influenza in humans over the past several years, and in most cases, it's come from direct pig contact. This seems to be different," said Dr. Arnold Monto, a flu expert with the University of Michigan.

Q. Can it spread among humans?

A. There have been cases of the virus spreading from human to human, probably in the same way as seasonal flu, through coughing and sneezing by infected people.

Q. What are the symptoms of swine flu?

A. The symptoms are similar to those of regular flu — fever, cough, fatigue, lack of appetite.

Q. Is the same swine flu virus making people sick in Mexico and the U.S.?

A. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the Mexican virus samples match the U.S. virus. The virus is a mix of human virus, bird virus from North America and pig viruses from North America, Europe and Asia.

Q. Are there drugs to treat swine flu in humans?

A. There are four different drugs approved in the U.S. to treat the flu, but the new virus has shown resistance to the two oldest. The CDC recommends the use of the flu drugs Tamiflu and Relenza.

Q. Does a regular flu shot protect against swine flu?

A. The seasonal flu vaccine used in the U.S. this year won't likely provide protection against the latest swine flu virus. There is a swine flu vaccine for pigs but not for humans.

Q. Should residents of California or Texas do anything special?

A. The CDC recommends routine precautions to prevent the spread of infectious diseases: wash your hands often, cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze, avoid close contact with sick people. If you are sick, stay at home and limit contact with others.

Q. What about traveling to Mexico?

A. The CDC has not warned Americans against traveling to Mexico but advises that they be aware of the illnesses there and take precautions to protect against infections, like washing their hands.

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 25-Apr-2009, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Tamiflu and Relenza, seem effective against the new strain. Roche, the maker of Tamiflu, said the company is prepared to immediately deploy a stockpile of the drug if requested. Both drugs must be taken early, within a few days of the onset of symptoms, to be most effective.

The two older antiviral drugs do not appear to work.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 27-Apr-2009, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The acting head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the federal government is readying a travel advisory instructing Americans to avoid nonessential travel to Mexico.

Dr. Richard Besser said the advisory was being released ``out of an abundance of caution.''

He further said individuals can help to keep the disease from spreading by taking everyday precautions such as frequent hand washing, covering up coughs and sneezes and staying away from work or school if not feeling well. Though a good idea, employers may not receive the absenteeism well.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 27-Apr-2009, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I don't know how old you are nor do I care, we went through this swine flu thing once before! The world went into a frenzy and inoculted millions with a worthless vaccine! Only about a few hundred folks died from this perceived threat... equivalent to a drop of your urine in the ocean as far as the worlds population goes... we have seen less then 100 cases of this so far, do you think maybe things are getting over exaggerated as usual by those that stand at the checkout line to long?

This is my opinion and not that of CelticRadio.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Antwn 
Posted: 27-Apr-2009, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Obviously its prudent to take measures to prevent the spread of this virus, however, the exaggeration by the media and the endless fear mongering, hours of coverage ad nauseum is baffling. Yes, there's an outbreak that's spread to the US, but 80 cases in a population of 300 million, where most of the infected parties recovered, is hardly a "crisis". CNN spent hours on this story yesterday, using the word crisis at every opportunity. What crisis? Thousands still die in this country from standard influenza, that's not a crisis to the media, is it? How about the tens of thousands who die in automobile accidents? How about some perspective on this issue by the media? Everyone at work is saying "wash your hands" as if the bubonic plague was on its way. Its amazing how the media delivers as much information as possible in a 'crisis" framework even if that status is undeserved. Are people in South Dakota supposed to worry because 20 or so kids in NYC got sick with the flu and most recovered? What "might" happen is not a crisis, why? Because it hasn't happened yet. Yes, take preventative measures but cut the crisis crap please.....gee before long people in the safest country in the world will live in fear and instead of saying "see you later" or "goodbye" they'll start saying "be safe". Oh....wait....

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
lschillinger 
Posted: 27-Apr-2009, 03:00 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: The Heart of it All

female

I'm not sure if I should be concenred over this or not. A Co Worker of mine is in Cancun right now and is in the "target" age range for this thing. I guess people under 40 are at more of a risk because we haven't been exposed to anything quite like this so we have no resistance. Which is an odd change from the sick and elderly. My coworker is notorious for coming in sick to work. And she is ALWAYS sick after vacation because she wears herself out! I'm in the process of starting a family right now and am wondering if it would be in my best interest to stay at home next week. Or is that being overly cautious?

--------------------
COURAGE GROWS STRONG AT THE WOUND

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

“Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.”

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
flora 
Posted: 27-Apr-2009, 03:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I agree with you Antwn that the media does go overboard and becomes repetitive but how long is too long if not everyone is made aware of the danger? We have alot of people who travel to and from Mexico here in Florida. From what I understand you should have the antibiotic within 24 hours of onset for it to do any good. And yes, I have used the phrase "Be Safe" quite often because I do wish people to be safe not just from disease but from everyday happenings. Is it wrong to wish no harm comes to a person?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 27-Apr-2009, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

Prudence doesn't require the manufacture of crises, it only requires prudence. Sure warn people, but if they want to be taken seriously report the unabashed truth. Why does this situation require any more awareness than the normal flu? The oldest antibiotic doesn't work as effectively, but there are other newer ones. If you have symptoms, do you need the media to tell you what to do about that? The symptoms are the same for any other type of flu.

I don't care what you say to your friends, I'm talking about underlying assumptions about the predominence of a risk aversion mentality which doesn't correspond to the degree of risk present and am wondering why. That's my question.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 02:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Remember the statement from the then new Obama administration's political hack, "never let a good crisis go to waste!?"

That is what this is all about. I had the swine flu about 30 years ago and people survived it. With ALL flu, the nursing home populations go down and those with compromised health are at risk. It happens EVERY year!!

They are talking about banning processed pork now, which can NOT transmit flu. Trichinosis, yes but flu no! It is amazing how many stupid people have risen to positions of authority.

Mexico is a dirty country where disease is rampant. Medical there is not anywhere near our standards. Their law also allows people to self medicate with out medical prescriptions. All of that sets them up for problems. Here there will just be a longer flu season, no more no less! What the govt. and media are doing now is the equivalent of shouting fire in a crowded theater! An act not covered under the first amendment and considered to be criminal!

This is just another way to control people. I say, close the d@mn borders. If potential immigrants are ill, they do NOT get in! We will deal with flu as we always have.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 04:16 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (lschillinger @ 27-Apr-2009, 03:00 PM)
I'm not sure if I should be concenred over this or not. A Co Worker of mine is in Cancun right now and is in the "target" age range for this thing. I guess people under 40 are at more of a risk because we haven't been exposed to anything quite like this so we have no resistance. Which is an odd change from the sick and elderly. My coworker is notorious for coming in sick to work. And she is ALWAYS sick after vacation because she wears herself out! I'm in the process of starting a family right now and am wondering if it would be in my best interest to stay at home next week. Or is that being overly cautious?

You might consider a "blanket party" for the co-worker to correct this antisocial behavior. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 07:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I'm talking about underlying assumptions about the predominence of a risk aversion mentality which doesn't correspond to the degree of risk present and am wondering why. That's my question.

I think when the judicial system allows people to sue for not warning that the coffee is hot etc, "the public" lost the ability to think for ourselves.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

What doesn't the media run away with..lol.. I say wash your hands 365 days a year! laugh.gif and go on with life.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

ALL are excellent points. I am going to wash my hands a lot, use hand sanitizer and if I catch it, treat the symptoms, rest and drink plenty of water. After all, it is just another type of flu!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 28-Apr-2009, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Latest news releases!

US flu deaths seen as likely as outbreak spreads.

Hundreds more fell ill with swine flu in the U.S. and deaths seem likely as governments around the world on Tuesday intensified steps to battle the outbreak that has killed scores in Mexico.

Our borders are still open!! Where do you think the Mexicans are going to run to to get away from their media scare tactics.

This is still just the flu. We have meds to treat it. Some of the weak will die and do every year. I have heard quarantine mentioned several times on the news today. If that happens your access to good medical will be limited to what the govt provides. Think about that!!!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]