Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Knighthood

Should Britian stop awarding Knighthoods and Damehoods?
yes. [ 13 ]  [20.97%]
no. [ 49 ]  [79.03%]
Total Votes: 62
Guests cannot vote 
CelticRadio 
Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
251,213 Gold!

There has been a recent call to end the Knighting of certain individuals by the British throne. Many figures from the musical, acting and political arenas have been awarded the titles. Dos this award really mean anything? Is it a left over from medieval times? Can you imagine Bill Gates as a real knight? Ok, the floor is open!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I don't have a problem with honorary titles. The only way they are legally allowed to use them is if they are UK citizens.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
celtica 
Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

I don't have a problem with the titles but with the people they are given to : singers, sportsmen and so on. It's exactly the same in France with the Légion d'Honneur, the highest decoration of the country. I wish it would be given only to persons who are really useful for the country or even the world in general, like great scientists, persons like Sister Emmanuelle who fought all her life against poverty in Egypt...

This post has been edited by celtica on 13-Jul-2004, 01:57 PM

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

I agree with Celtica, but I voted to get rid of the titles. True they are only honorary titles, but if they are being bestowed upon people who don't really deserve them, they shouldn't be allowed. It is like saying someone is better than others because they got this title. Getting a title doesn't change what they did to deserve it (if they did deserve it), it just makes them seem more important than people who didn't do something that way. Another view, I think, is that some people may do some things to get those titles that they wouldn't have done if they weren't bestowed. It doesn't really bother me either way, but doing something good doesn't need rewarding, it (should be) is rewarding enough to know that you did something good for the world (if you have). The title is just a nice topping to those that weren't after the title in the first place, and will continue doing good deeds, while those after the title will stop.

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 11:39 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

If you can't tell from my above post, I have mixed feelings about the issue.
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

I would think Knighthood would be reserved as something like "The Medal of Honor" You saved someones life, etc.

--------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ![SIZE=7][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I agree that they should be kept and reserved for people of importance that have made a difference, not just for entertainers.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
birddog20002001 
Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

I will clarify my comments with, I am not a British citizen so my opinion is worth what it cost, nothing. Personally I feel it is an honor that should be bestowed only on warriors. It was a title given to a soldier that fulfilled martial, social and moral requirements. By awarding it to others due to political influence and social status you prostitute the value and integrity of the award.

For example one thing that I do feel strongly about the US Army has adopted black berets for all of its soldiers (this was given by Gen. Shishenki sp?) in order to bring up the morale of the troops, I say if you want to wear the beret go to Ranger school and earn it the same with knighthood. By recieving permission to wear the beret you don't become a warrior, by becoming a warrior you get to wear the beret. I was a paratrooper and wore the maroon beret and while I was attached to 7th Special Forces Group I still wore the maroon beret not the green one because my military schooling level was only certified maroon ok I got lost on a tangent but I think every one can see how I feel confused huh.gif

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted on 13-Jul-2004, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

That is exactly the way I feel birddog! That is what I am saying when I say you save someones life! Knighthood should be honored in this way!
PMEmail Poster               
Madadh 
Posted on 14-Jul-2004, 05:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

The awarding of Knighthoods is just like our awarding honorary PH.D's. They are honorary titles. You do not have to do anything special, just meet the requirements of the issuing party. Hell, even Michael Moore could get one.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Catriona 
Posted on 14-Jul-2004, 06:38 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

The British 'Honours' system is complex... and I remember that this topic inflamed passions when it was last posted on here........... cool.gif

This site explains how the system works - http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/jsp/db/fac...+honours+system

My personal view is that many, many ordinary men and women receive some level of award from the Honours system - and that is right and proper. However, in recent years it has become a source of 'patronage' to the ruling political party - at present the Labour party, but the Tories are certainly not far behind in getting their snouts into the trough. Tony Blair has awarded so many Honours to such odd people that they are known over here as 'Tony's Cronies'.... rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
behan 
Posted on 18-Jul-2004, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

ANYONE WHO VOTED THAT BRITIAN SHOUL NOT STOP HANDING OUT KNIGHTHOODS WILL PROBABLY BE FROM AMERICA AND HAS NO CLUE WHAT THEY ARE OR HOW CORRUPT THEY ARE , KNIGHTOODS AND ORDERS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE ( LOL WHAT EMPIRE ) ARE A COMPLETE JOKE , THEY ARE CORRUPT IN HOW THE PEOPLE WHO GET THE HIGHEST AWARDS ARE PEOPLE WHO P[AY THE HIGHEST DONATIONS TO THE MONARCHY ETC, HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY SOME COMPANY DIRECTOR GETTING A HIGHER AWARD OVER A PARAMEDIC , DR. OR SCIENTIST ONE THING THE BRITISH ARE REALLY GOOD AT IS OUTDATED PATHETIC POMPOUS CEROMONIES THAT MAKE THEM LOOK VERY SILLY , GET WITH THE TIME AND GET REAL FOR CHRIST SAKE sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted on 18-Jul-2004, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I voted NO with some reservations!

Knighthood is an age old and honored tradition and should be continued as long as it is in congress with it's original intent.

Just because someone becomes "of money" does not mean they should be knighted, there needs to be some evidence of chivalry, charity, and concern for others well being. To give out knighthoods like candy is not good, it would be like the US giving out "Medals Of Honor" to our rich sports figures ( something that makes me shudder because I see it coming) !

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
faolin 
Posted on 18-Jul-2004, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

female

I voted NO, but I feel that some substantial changes should occur in regards to how knighthoods are awarded ( or rather how the recipients are chosen). I feel that there should be more public involvement in the nomination process, and that more emphasis be placed on the need for the recipient to have made a great personal ( and not monetary) contribution to society. I mean, Conrad Black's knighthood was a bit of a joke, at least for most people here in Canada. I think that the whole honors system is integral to Britain, and that they should focus more attention on revitalizing it. Well, those are my two cents at least biggrin.gif

--------------------
Bitheadh e mar sin
PMEmail Poster               
drexcia 
Posted on 19-Jul-2004, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

i am wondering if your aware of how many knighthoods / obe's / mbe's etc, are handed back or turned down , a lot thats how many this aged system of hounouring people who dont really deserve it has to be stopped what do we need knights for or commanders of the british empire its a complete farce and most british agree with this , why else do you think its being scrapped
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]