Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Confederate Memories

Should we do more in memorial to Confederate Soliders?
Yes. [ 53 ]  [65.43%]
No. [ 28 ]  [34.57%]
Total Votes: 81
Guests cannot vote 
peckery 
Posted on 10-Feb-2004, 05:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Feb 10 2004, 04:45 PM)
Every memorial has a place it belongs. Whoever it may commemorate.

YES!!!!!! toot.gif toot.gif toot.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted on 10-Feb-2004, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (MacErca @ Feb 4 2004, 05:50 PM)
If the reason for not having a memorial is "they lost" then why pray tell, do we have a Vietnam Vets memorial in D.C.?
I am a Vietnam Veteran, btw.
I think all soldiers need to be remembered, most time than not the rank and file really has no choice as to who "their war" is with, they just go with as much honor they have in the situation.

We have memorials for our soilders not so much because we won wars as much as because we still exist. If we had not succeeded in our revolution against the British tyrants wink.gif there would be no revolutionary war memorials in this country. We were all British citizens when that war began but when it was over we became the United States.

The Confederacy no longer exists, therefore it is not capable of erecting memorials to its heros.

BTW this is just speculation but I suspect that if we had not succeeded in our revolutionary war that all of the fathers of our country I.E. George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson etc... would have been rounded up and hanged and that any mention of memorials for them (regardless of how bravely the fought or served) would have been frowned upon by the Crown.

Just food for thought.

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
RICH 
Posted on 10-Feb-2004, 11:06 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: San Jose, California

male

. And as far as RESPECT goes, I'm the guy that paid you freakin salary for the 30 years you were in. clothed you and fed you!!!!

Guess what? I PAID TAXES just like you. So I guess I paid my own salary, clothed myself, and feed myself too....... And raised a family!!!!!!!!

RICH
Royal05.gif

--------------------
The hardest day was yesterday!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted on 11-Feb-2004, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I was in the Air Force for 7 years, which was enough time to realize the sacrifices made by those like Rich, who made a career of it. When I joined, I received the princely salary of $75/month--living high on the hog at the expense of the US taxpayers, indeed!
Thank you, Rich, for the sacrifices you and your family made to allow the rest of us to enjoy the freedom and prosperity this country enjoys today.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted on 11-Feb-2004, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (RICH @ Feb 11 2004, 12:06 AM)

Guess what? I PAID TAXES just like you. So I guess I paid my own salary, clothed myself, and feed myself too....... And raised a family!!!!!!!!

RICH
Royal05.gif

Well done!!!
PMEmail Poster               
rock_serenade 
Posted on 01-Mar-2004, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: portland, southern Maine

male

The south was protecting what they thought was their finacial well being, much the same as the colonists did at the taxation without representation which started the revolutuonary war. The confederate soldiers were being just as patriotic as the union soldiers. Slavery was a major money maker, either in the act of selling slaves or the slave labor that worked the huge plantations, and so was a big target or political platform to use, but it was not what the whole war was about by any means. As they say, Money is the root of all evil.

--------------------
[FONT=Times][COLOR=green]
I Come
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted on 16-Apr-2004, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

Tomorrow ? April 17 ? the remains of the crew of the Confederate submarine CSS Hunley will be buried with full military honors in Charleston, S.C.'s Magnolia Cemetery.

http://www.hunleyfuneral.org/

Leo cool.gif

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
ronw1 
Posted on 16-May-2004, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: tulsa ok

male

Yankee born and bred the fight should not have happened it started out as one thing and ended up something else and everybody North and South lost family over what?
(On soap box) The big thing that has been going on latley about the Confederate flag not bieng allowed to fly anywhere by certain people, B.S. they are yelling about the wrong flag if they would look at it right (the battle flag was not the south flag but the stars and bars two totaly different flags ) They just want something to cry about. We yankees freed them and most have not showed anything for there freedom. They are the most racest people there I know of the generations now have know idea of the slave years but what twisted minds have tought them their own kind put them into slavery to start not the whites. (off soap box now) To the southern people I apolijize for the mistake of my ancestors it should not have happened. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted on 16-May-2004, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Yesterday I participated in a "Ceremonial" day for the Confederates buried at Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira, NY, conducted by the Buffalo Guards SCV Camp, Buffalo, NY, and the Guy-Thurmon SCV Camp, Rochester, NY. Before the ceremony, the Buffalo Guards, with some assistance from the Guy-Thurmon Camp and the 22d VA re-enactment group placed a 1' X 1' Confederate Battle Flag on each grave. We were also allowed to fly the Bonnie Blue and the National Flags, as well as fire a salute during the ceremony. Regrettably, due to National VA policy, the flags had to come down today, as we are only allowed to fly them at Woodlawn, a VA cemetery, on US Memorial Day and one Confederate "Ceremonial" day. We were not allowed to use the word "Memorial" on our program hand-out. Nor were we allowed to the SCV or discuss the history of the Elmira prison camp during our ceremonies.
Notwithstandng the restrictions placed on us, we are indeed grateful to the VA for the loving care given by them to the graves of our fallen ancestors and for the opportunity to honor their memory. Many of the men buried at Woodlawn served with my own kin in the 48th VA Infantry, a unit that was overrun at Spotsylvania, with 104 men captured, when General Johnson's division ceased to exist, with perhaps 400 survivors found after the battle. Many of the captured men were sent to Elmira, where a number of them died, mostly from chronic diarrhea, pneumonia, and general maltreatment. Due to the loving manner in which they were given Christian burials by Sexton Jones, an escaped slave, most of the families whose sons, brothers, and fathers were buried at Woodlawn elected to leave them there after the war, rather than bringing them home for re-interment.
Mick Cole
Commander, Guy-Thurmon Camp #1928, Sons of Confederate Veterans
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted on 16-May-2004, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,911 Gold!

Thank you Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas for that fine account of the cermonies at Woodlawn Cemetary in Elmira, NY.

It is a shame that this country can not come to grips with its own past. The Confederacy was made up of many honorable peoples and the culture of the south (minus the slave issues) was rich with histories and stories.

Even the U.S. Military seems to acknowledge the significance of certain southern generals and leaders with their ancestory firmly rooted in the south. Here is a recent article on Stonewall Jackson and George S. Patton: A Survey of Leadership.

U.S. Army Professional Writing Collection

I thought I would share this since Stonewall Jackson's death occurred May 10th, 1863 and it seems appropriate with your post.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
ronw1 
Posted on 16-May-2004, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: tulsa ok

male

sad.gif forgot one thing in my little tangent on this topic LET THAT BABY FLY WITH PRIDE let no one say other wise they were men and boys from the south and they died for it.
This makes them heroes no matter what side they were on They deserve a place with honor.
PMEmail Poster               
cwa92464 
Posted on 12-Sep-2004, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: South Carolina

male

I believe that we should do more in their memory. They fought for something that they believed in and it was legal in their respective states during that time. Many fought merely because state prode was greater than national pride. What would you think if 100 years from now, our memories are degraded because we had--dare I say it--dogs and cats for pets?? beer_mug.gif

--------------------
“I have faith and belief myself. I believe that the universe is comprehensible within the bounds of natural law and that the human brain can discover those natural laws and comprehend the universe. I believe that nothing beyond those natural laws is needed. I have no evidence for this. It is simply what I have faith in and what I believe.”
- - - Isaac Asimov
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
celticwoodsman 
Posted on 22-Sep-2004, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

Realm: NY, USA

male

I dont see anything wrong with honoring warriors who have bled on the field of battle for their beliefs, if we see it as right or wrong that is different. As well as I think that we should honor all fallen warriors on memorial day....no matter what side they fought for there was a mother that lost her child

--------------------
You will not go hungry until I starve, you shall not go thirsty as I have drink, you shall have my bed and be warm, you shall sit on my right as we feast in the great halls of our ancestors, and for when we die, and go to the great battle of valhalla....we shall stand together and fight ....at the end we shall look upon each other strewn with the blood of OUR enemies, and then....I shall call you FRIEND
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]