Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Perhaps You Could Help..., Would love to hear opinions!
Swanny 
Posted: 29-Oct-2003, 11:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I s'pose I'm not surprised. I'll have to get my wife to try this. She's a devout Jehova's Witness. Now quit laughing. We have surprisingly few conflicts. She tolerates my beliefs just as I tolerate hers.

Swanny

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Mahayana Buddhism (95%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (86%)
4. Hinduism (85%)
5. Bahá'í Faith (83%)
6. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (78%)
7. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (77%)
8. Liberal Quakers (74%)
9. New Age (70%)
10. New Thought (68%)
11. Jainism (67%)
12. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (65%)
13. Theravada Buddhism (64%)
14. Taoism (63%)
15. Sikhism (60%)
16. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (52%)
17. Scientology (50%)
18. Orthodox Quaker (49%)
19. Reform Judaism (48%)
20. Secular Humanism (42%)
21. Orthodox Judaism (41%)
22. Jehovah's Witness (40%)
23. Eastern Orthodox (32%)
24. Islam (32%)
25. Roman Catholic (32%)
26. Nontheist (30%)
27. Seventh Day Adventist (21%)

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 30-Oct-2003, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I guess it wasn't that off. I'm no Quaker, but I would consider myself a Liberal Christian Protestant. Still hold true to the beliefs. As far as issues like homosexuality, drugs n' alcohol, Bible thumping, I'd have to say I deviate from the norm though. I guess you can call me an open minded Christian. laugh.gif We're not the stereotype.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
myriad 
Posted: 31-Oct-2003, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

[FONT=Geneva][COLOR=green]
Lady of the River,
It is good that we can speak openly and question openly in here. It is good that we can say what we believe without intent of offending and expect wise responses. I would advise you to first determine which book you believe to be the most accurate and speak with different people concerning this also read multiple peices of information on this. I was not raised a Christian. I too doubted His existence or abilities. It is made even more confusing when you have multiple people giving you what they call truths but they all sound so different. Much of the truth is found in many religions today, but there is a root truth and you must dig deeply to get to the root of that old oak tree. His roots are deep and they are strong. They are the foundation for all other religions. It is good that you question and are not lead along blindly, only remember to search for the truth asking for wisdom even if you are not sure where the wisdom comes from it will come to you if you seek with a pure heart. God is not bound by human limitations. We as humans use 10% of our mental capacity. We were made in the image of God not as God himself. He can and does hear each and everyone of us and knows our hearts. But don't let me tell you to seek Him. I want you to seek for truth and in so doing you will most likely find Him.
Seek and ye shall find.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 31-Oct-2003, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Well said myriad, well said.
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 31-Oct-2003, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Myriad, thy words carry the solid ring of truth. Seek the wisdom, seek the truth, and beware the falshoods of the darkened youth

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
myriad 
Posted: 07-Nov-2003, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

Lady of the River,
I hope your truth seeking journey is going well.
PMEmail Poster               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
  Posted: 08-Nov-2003, 01:55 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

hehehe, well it Taged me right on. 100% Pagan and loving it.
Guess I did a complete turn around from being a Mormon and christian.....go figure ...heh
Angel angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Raven 
Posted: 29-Nov-2003, 01:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Lady Of The River @ Oct 20 2003, 09:06 PM)
i totally agree with the whole planned thing. i just dont think only one person/thing/whatever could have made it by themselves. Or rule it by themselves.

Lady of the River

I can understand having a difficulty with this concept. As humans we are finite beings and the concept of an all powerful God kind of blows our minds.

If you accept a beginning to creation, you have to accept that there was a beginner (regardless of what you think that beginner was) If you accept it as a being then the concept of this being (God) as all Powerful (when you consider the scope of the universe) and all knowing, plus all present (able to be anywhere at once and multi task like crazy) perhaps the ability to do all this would become more comprehendable.

After looking at the evidence for our existence being happenstance and arriving at the conclusion that there had to be a plan and design for life and the universe. I had to accept a designer. (much longer involved story than this but I know you don't have all day tongue.gif )

Accepting a designer was the beginning of accepting everything else. It didn't happen over night and I will always have difficulty with certain aspects simple becase of the infinite nature of it all.

Just my POV smile.gif

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 14-Dec-2003, 08:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (Lady Of The River @ Oct 20 2003, 05:06 PM)
Hey all who read this,

I am having a little trouble figuring out "religion". This is definitely something I'm going to need help on, so all views, opinions, help etc. is/are welcome.

I was raised a Methodist Christian, but I don't really know if that is exactly my "thing". And I don't use that term sparingly, people. I'm not sure if Christianity is right. I don't think only one person could have made life as we know it, no matter how powerful or almighty they are. And if there is someone up there, there are way too many people in this world for them to look after and way too many problems for them to keep track of. If you are supposed to pray to God in a time of a crisis, what are the chances you will be the only one doing so at that exact moment? What makes you think that he/she/it/whatever is up there will honor your wishes instead of someone elses? And if there problem is worse than yours? This is way too confusing... and I'm getting ahead of myself. It's just none of this makes sense!

I want to broaden my horizons a little, figure out what religion is right for me. I need information, because if there is one thing I'm not right now, it's a know-it-all. I know NOTHING. Please, people, if it wouldn't be too hard, all I ask of you is to post something, such as background of different types of religion, like what they are about, what they do, etc. I'm open to just about anything, even all you Christians out there can post whatever you like. I'm open to suggestions from both ends of the table.

Jessica

p.s.: What I said before, about Christianity, WAS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE!!! I know, that is my own personal take on things, and was not meant to be taken literally by anyone who believes in that. I'm just very confused right now, and I'm in a very, well, I guess you could say, crucial point in my life at the moment.
Would you guess I'm only 14?

Again, views are welcome and would be very nice. Thank you.

At 14 you should be questioning a lot of things! Spirituality is what one feels inside and I do not believe anyone is wrong................well, I believe one belief system is wrong but that is because of where I live and the people I've lived around and had to work with. But other than that, to each his own. angel_not.gif I am a Christian, studying Wicca at the moment -- curious rolleyes.gif and my brother is Budhist. My sis-in-law is Bahai. My dad is "a Mason and a Shriner." So, what is right for you must be right, as long as you do not hurt others. note.gif

And that's my 2 cents worth. wink.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
maisky 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 04:42 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ Oct 30 2003, 09:56 AM)
I guess it wasn't that off. I'm no Quaker, but I would consider myself a Liberal Christian Protestant. Still hold true to the beliefs. As far as issues like homosexuality, drugs n' alcohol, Bible thumping, I'd have to say I deviate from the norm though. I guess you can call me an open minded Christian. laugh.gif We're not the stereotype.

Let me stereotype you then. You are a thoughtful, caring human being! Now how do you like THAT pigeon hole? biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
  Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 04:53 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 14 2003, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (Lady Of The River @ Oct 20 2003, 05:06 PM)
Hey all who read this,

I am having a little trouble figuring out "religion". This is definitely something I'm going to need help on, so all views, opinions, help etc. is/are welcome.

I was raised a Methodist Christian, but I don't really know if that is exactly my "thing". And I don't use that term sparingly, people. I'm not sure if Christianity is right. I don't think only one person could have made life as we know it, no matter how powerful or almighty they are. And if there is someone up there, there are way too many people in this world for them to look after and way too many problems for them to keep track of. If you are supposed to pray to God in a time of a crisis, what are the chances you will be the only one doing so at that exact moment? What makes you think that he/she/it/whatever is up there will honor your wishes instead of someone elses? And if there problem is worse than yours? This is way too confusing... and I'm getting ahead of myself. It's just none of this makes sense!

I want to broaden my horizons a little, figure out what religion is right for me. I need information, because if there is one thing I'm not right now, it's a know-it-all. I know NOTHING. Please, people, if it wouldn't be too hard, all I ask of you is to post something, such as background of different types of religion, like what they are about, what they do, etc. I'm open to just about anything, even all you Christians out there can post whatever you like. I'm open to suggestions from both ends of the table.

Jessica

p.s.: What I said before, about Christianity, WAS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE!!! I know, that is my own personal take on things, and was not meant to be taken literally by anyone who believes in that. I'm just very confused right now, and I'm in a very, well, I guess you could say, crucial point in my life at the moment.
Would you guess I'm only 14?

Again, views are welcome and would be very nice. Thank you.

At 14 you should be questioning a lot of things! Spirituality is what one feels inside and I do not believe anyone is wrong................well, I believe one belief system is wrong but that is because of where I live and the people I've lived around and had to work with. But other than that, to each his own. angel_not.gif I am a Christian, studying Wicca at the moment -- curious rolleyes.gif and my brother is Budhist. My sis-in-law is Bahai. My dad is "a Mason and a Shriner." So, what is right for you must be right, as long as you do not hurt others. note.gif

And that's my 2 cents worth. wink.gif

Those of us who actively work at seeking truth, either inside or outside of our organized religious group are fostering the one truely critical element: a seeking spirit. As long as we keep that alive we have hope. As long as we have hope, we have life and a chance to develop our character and horizons.

I am a 20+ year Buddhist (Soka Gakkai). I started life as a Mormon and developed a critical flaw at age 10, that drove me away from that belief system: I started to think and question. It was not allowed, so I bailed. I studied many of the other traditions before settling on Buddhism. There is much truth and value in most of them. I settled on Buddhism because of the focus on taking responsibility for our own lives and taking posative action to develop our life and do what is called "human revolution". Real time results from practicing an active life philosophy appealed strongly to me. Too many of the other traditions I studied were passive, relying on a "professional cleric" to spoon feed beliefs and thoughts. There is a built in conflict of interest there.

That said, I honor anybody who promotes that seeking spirit in their life, whatever direction they go with it. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 09:08 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 15 2003, 04:53 AM)
Those of us who actively work at seeking truth, either inside or outside of our organized religious group are fostering the one truely critical element: a seeking spirit. As long as we keep that alive we have hope. As long as we have hope, we have life and a chance to develop our character and horizons.

I am a 20+ year Buddhist (Soka Gakkai). I started life as a Mormon and developed a critical flaw at age 10, that drove me away from that belief system: I started to think and question. It was not allowed, so I bailed. I studied many of the other traditions before settling on Buddhism. There is much truth and value in most of them. I settled on Buddhism because of the focus on taking responsibility for our own lives and taking posative action to develop our life and do what is called "human revolution". Real time results from practicing an active life philosophy appealed strongly to me. Too many of the other traditions I studied were passive, relying on a "professional cleric" to spoon feed beliefs and thoughts. There is a built in conflict of interest there.

That said, I honor anybody who promotes that seeking spirit in their life, whatever direction they go with it. smile.gif

Wow!!! I am impressed! clap.gif cheers.gif You are so very profound! Seriously! We think a great deal alike considering we are related. angel_not.gif You are a remarkable man..........with a thinking, working brain. biggrin.gif

I deeply agree that as long as we are seeking we are thinking and therefore living and have hope. Glad the only guide I follow is the Great Almighty and I look to you for advice. Seriously! wink.gif
Knightly Knight 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 09:46 PM
Quote Post

King of the Kowboys
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri

male

From an "Old GUY" Throw religion Out the Window. Go for a Personal Relationship with God. Worshipping with other believers is a good thing. And the very best thing is learning about a God who cares about YOU as you are period warts and all. You dont have to "get right" to approach God. God will "make you right"

--------------------
If Jimmy cracked corn and no one cares, Why is there a song about it?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]