Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: NY, USA

male

Quick post:

MacDonald of the Isles here, via the Brady's in Rhode Island USA, & NY USA

--------------------
You will not go hungry until I starve, you shall not go thirsty as I have drink, you shall have my bed and be warm, you shall sit on my right as we feast in the great halls of our ancestors, and for when we die, and go to the great battle of valhalla....we shall stand together and fight ....at the end we shall look upon each other strewn with the blood of OUR enemies, and then....I shall call you FRIEND
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 04:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wizard! You are so funny and kind! A big welcome to Bubba too!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Spradley 
Posted: 22-Sep-2004, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

Clan MacDuff from the kingdom of Fife. Emigrated in the 1870's

Sláinte beer_mug.gif

Brad

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
fast_talker70 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

As can be seen, I have not chosen a clan as of yet. I'm very interested in doing so, but dont know where I would be the MOST affiliated. Im having trouble finding the strongest link. My father s grandmother was a Warren, his step father was a Rose. I know Rose is scotch, what about Warren? My mother was a Wood, her mother a Ford. Can anyone help shed light on links with any of these names with a celtic clan? I have found Rose Info, but as I said, that was a step grandfather(I have been proud to be affiliated and consider him my Grandfather, so have no problem with affiliating with the clan if I have no closer relation). I have found a little info on Woods, but I'm somewhat confused on there standing as a clan or a sept.Any help is appreciated. Would like to find clan tartan,badge,seal,etc...

Thanks a bunch all!! fast_talker70

P.S My first name is Craig-gaelic for "one who lives in the crags", Mom must have known i was going to spend my life between a rock and a hard place!!
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

On Fast Talker if you find any info on Wood, let me know. My husband is a Wood and I know he already has a lot of Scots ancestry.
Avonlea22 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Speaking of finding a clan affiliation...

My last name is Wilson. Wilson is one of the top 30 last names in Ireland. My Grandfather was born in County Tyrone, N. Ireland.

My question is simple, I think. Are the Scots Wilson's and the Irish Wilsons related? Did they start out as one happy family? Do I actually have Scots roots as well? Can I claim The Wilson Clan of Scotland?

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Wood and its variant spellings appears to be part of Clan Watson. See http://members.aol.com/enewman375/page/page2.html

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Brian, yes the Wilsons of Co. Tyrone came there as part of a largely failed experiement to supplant the Catholic inhabitants of the region of NI. The Wilsons were from the Lowlands of Scotland. (an you'll find plenty in Northern England as well).

Fast Talker, the best way to make a clan connection, if there even is one, is trace your family back to the country of origin. The names you mentioned Rose, Wood, Ford, etc. are all found largely in England, but also in Lowland Scotland. Rose is probably a 50/50 shot. Even if you do find them in Scotland, to establish a true legitimate link with a Highland clan, or Border clan is nearly impossible. The key to to find your ancestors on the land owned by a clan chief. Then, you would claim historical allegiance to that clan. Good luck in your searching. It is fun, rewarding, and also frustrating and time consuming.

Rory MacA
PMEmail Poster               
bubba 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 25-Sep-2004, 05:27 PM)
It is fun, rewarding, and also frustrating and time consuming.

Rory MacA

and it can get pretty expensive

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas @ 25-Sep-2004, 04:52 PM)
Wood and its variant spellings appears to be part of Clan Watson. See http://members.aol.com/enewman375/page/page2.html

Oh thank you so much, Mailagnus! That makes two clan affiliations that my husband could be part of. He has Currie too which is of the MacPherson clan. I knew he had a lot of Scots ancestry;however, the only one really excited about it all is me! He has no interest in his ancestry whatsoever! rolleyes.gif He is American as far as he is concerned!
Avonlea22 
Posted: 26-Sep-2004, 09:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 25-Sep-2004, 07:27 PM)
Brian, yes the Wilsons of Co. Tyrone came there as part of a largely failed experiement to supplant the Catholic inhabitants of the region of NI. The Wilsons were from the Lowlands of Scotland. (an you'll find plenty in Northern England as well).

Rory, Thanks so much for that information. I was so excited to read that I actually have Scots roots. I was like "Woohooo!!!" Now I can proudly wear my kilt when I finally get it. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
fast_talker70 
Posted: 26-Sep-2004, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

male

MacAibhistin, Thank you. I will be working on tracing my roots backword in hopes to find the place of origin, and to track down civil war vets. I have info on my G G Grandfather on my mothers side that puts the family in Smyrna county New York at about 1850s. How would I find out where they emigrated from? This is the Wood Line. Also My mothers Grandmother was a Walker. Her Mother was a Kitchen. Any Ideas on these names?
Thank you for the help, and if you have a web site that you know I could go to for these answers unstead of taking up so much time and space here, I would love to know of it.

Celticrose, I am from southern Michigan, and if youve read the previous paragraph, youll see what little info I have on my line of the Wood Family I hail from. If this is interesting to you, or your husband and I share any blood, Ill make sure to get you a more complete history as I know it, Including some really cool stories of G G Grandad Wood. Quite a charachtor indead!

Thanks again all.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Fast Talker.............how come you don't have an avatar? wink.gif biggrin.gif We need to see what you look like or would like to look like! LOL

Oh anything you come up on the Wood family would be great. My husband's family has tried to do some research and come up with nothing! sad.gif
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 04:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

On my mothers' side I am associated with the Morrison Clan, they came from the Isle of Lewis, the name was originally derived from Son of Mor, and became Mor-son/Morrison, and is obviously of Scandinavian origin.

The have a love tartan, well a few, I have two of them.

--------------------
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

MacAibhistin, Thank you. I will be working on tracing my roots backward in hopes to find the place of origin, and to track down civil war vets. I have info on my G G Grandfather on my mothers side that puts the family in Smyrna county New York at about 1850s. How would I find out where they emigrated from? This is the Wood Line. Also My mothers Grandmother was a Walker. Her Mother was a Kitchen. Any Ideas on these names?
Thank you for the help, and if you have a web site that you know I could go to for these answers unstead of taking up so much time and space here, I would love to know of it

FastTalker, It gets tougher the further back you go. You want to look at things like petitions for land grants, church records for deaths, christenings, etc. These will help you associate children with parents. You need to get yourself back to the immigrant generations before you can make your leap to a mother country. Some census records recorded country of family origin, but I am not familiar with the census records of NY. You'll probably need to spend some time in an archives for Smyrna County. Walker is another name that appears in Ireland, England, and Scotland. Generally it is Lowland Scottish. Kitchen is originally German, but appears in England as a result of the Saxon migrations of the 6-8th centuries. A help in determining Scottish and Irish families is religion. The Scots and Ulster Scots were largely Presbyterian (some Highland Scots families were Catholic). Native Irish largely Catholic and the English Anglican (Church of England, also known as Episcopal), Methodist, Congregationalist, or Baptist.

I do have some sites. I'll get the URLs and post them later.

Rory

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]