Posted: 09-Aug-2004, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Wake Forest, NC

male

I was just wondering what some of your favorite plants are to grow or just admire (or even eat), wether they be flowers, trees, vegetables or weeds. smile.gif

Here are some of mine.

Trees: Tulip tree, Most varieties of conifers.

Shrub: Butterfly Bush

Ornamental Grass: Pennisetum "Orientale"

Flowers: Star Gazer lilies, Monarda, Daffodils, Daylilies, Russian sage and Lavender

Veggies: Asparagus

Misc: Bamboo

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 09-Aug-2004, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Madman with a box
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I like rose bushes. Not only are they pretty to look at, they make a good barrier also biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
krmsmax 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 07:24 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Memphis, Tennessee

female

I also like rose bushes. I am rather fond of iris, gladiola, daffodil as well. I have found that mandeville is a hardy climbing plant for fences. I haven't killed that one yet. We also like to grow tomatoes, bell peppers, and hot peppers in the garden. Herb wise, I would have to say that oregano, mint, and lavender are my favorites.

--------------------
Karen Maxwell
curebox.gotdns.com
PMEmail Poster               
Arianrhod 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Lady of Starlight and Petal

ZodiacVine

Realm: Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands

female

Trees.. Birch.
Quaking Aspen
Dogwood

Ornimental
Dripping Golden Cypress

Flowers..
FoxGlove
Casablanca Lillies
Bells of Ireland
Speedwell
Ladies Slippers
Dames Rocket
ANY daisy smile.gif
Fox Tails
Lark Spur
Hydrangias
Nicociana
Lobilea
All types of Ferns
Spider Wort..
I could go on wink.gif

Herbs
Gotta have Basil
Creeping Thyme
Lavender
Cilantro
Chives..
Rosemary
Taragon
Lemmon Balm
Mint
Sage

For eating,, I grow
Tomatos
Narstarsuim
Runner beans
cukes..

In Service to the Dream,
Paula

This post has been edited by Arianrhod on 10-Aug-2004, 08:15 AM

--------------------
Proud member of Clan Mac Roni , CEO of The KDC

The curve is mightier than the sword ...

"He's twitching, because ,
mah axe is embedded in
his nervious system " !
LOTR
PMEmail Poster               
VetteGal 
Posted: 10-Aug-2004, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Des Plaines, Illinois

female

I live in an apartment so space to me is kinda limited. Plus I have cats which like to chew on leaves. So, that leaves me with plants that have thick leaves or will taste bad to them.

For flowers I have over a dozen Orchids that are growing like weeds in my windows. I have Phals, Paphs, Phrags, and Cattleyas. Most are in bloom right now.

I cannot grow herbs as they do not pass the cat test. unsure.gif

My other plants are an aloe plant, two Sansevieria "Birds Nest", a Begonia, and some grass to decoy the cats.

I would love to get more but my windows are full. I only have four windows and two face north.

--------------------
Blessed Be.

Merry meet, merry part, merry meet again.

Do as ye will, but harm ye none.

Nikki
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 09:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I love the State Fair Zinnias. They grow 2, 2.5 feet tall. They have large different colored flowers. I plant them up my driveway it looks like a tall hedge of flowers. I had some guy stop and want to buy some for his girlfriend. Needless to say I cut but not for any money. They do need to be staked due to wind and they like full sun. It also has to be the State Fair ones.

To eat, I love to grow Anheim Peppers. I roast them and put them in a plastic bag. Then peel and de-seed and de-vein. I stuff them with montery jack cheese and roll them in a egg roll wrapper, fry top with green chilie and lettuce...

Now I am hungry! LOL
Rindy
PMEmail Poster               
lemonflower 
Posted: 23-Sep-2004, 11:32 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Missouri (USA)

female

Some of my favorites plants are
Roses (any color, any time)
Iris
Crocus (those brave little souls, peeping out of the snow)
Marigolds (so easy to grow)
Tomatoes (big or small, like them all)
Snow Pod Peas (I like to eat them fresh from the garden)
Sweet Peppers
Corn (especially White Corn, very sweet)
Lilacs
Bamboo
Thistle
Dandelion
Blue Spruce
Sugar Maple
and of course Lemonflower
walkman.gif

--------------------
lemonflower

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Hi all!

I've been thinking about this, and realized that most of my favorites are Herbs. I refuse to be without Lavender, Mints, Chamomile, Oregano, Lemon Balm, Dame's Rocket, Catnip, & Rosemary, but I also try my best to grow Borage, Echinnacea, Basils, Dill, Dandelions (yes! I let them frolic through the yard a bit), Violets, Nasturtiums, and Johnny-Jump-Ups.

Other favorites definitely include: Roses, Iris (Ceasar's Brother particularly), Nicotiana, Evening Primrose, White Bleeding Heart, Carnations, Tulips, Bluebells, Grape Hyacinths, Stock, Grapes, Berries of all kinds!, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Milkweed (love their pods!), Lilacs! ...... I could go on all day!

Trees are wonderful, but I'm especially fond of Apple trees, Ancient Oaks, Sugar Maples, Magnolias, Weeping Willows, Birch, Pines, and Buckeyes.

All right, now I've got to get outside! laugh.gif

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Balachasen 
Posted: 01-Oct-2004, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

Maideann mhath.....

I love roses, bourganvilia, cherry blossoms.....in terms of trees,
birch and oak and because i am from New Zealand I love Kauri and Rimu trees which are majestic just like Oaks etc. Tane Mahuta is a Kauri Tree known as the King of the Waipoua Forest up north from Auckland.....if you ever visit NZ, its worth paying homage to Tane.
Other than that, herbs....well basil is nice in Basil and cheese sandwiches.......

I was feeling guilty that im not actually a prodigious gardener,
but now i remember i have planted fruit trees - feijoas, macadamias, oranges and guavas and i have actually planted some Rimu too

Mar sin leibh,

Balachasen
PMEmail Poster               
birddog20002001 
Posted: 01-Oct-2004, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

No Dude, It's the Isle of Dude, Dude.
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

Tane Mahuta is a Kauri Tree known as the King of the Waipoua Forest up north from Auckland.....if you ever visit NZ, its worth paying homage to Tane.

I actually saw Tane Mahuta in a doccumentary just about two weeks ago it is huge. Hopefully I will get to see it for my self within the next 8 months, but a lot of things have got to go just right first.

Right now I am a first year horticulture technology student and these area among my favorite that we have studied so far all are fairly pest resistant and have at least one very desirable trait for landscaping. As we speak I am plotting on how to fit them all in my yard.

Sugar maple A. saccharum beautuful fall color

Paper bark maple A griseum cinnamon colored exfoliating bark

Japanese maple A palmatum including the dessivaled leaf varities especially the cultivar "Garnet"

Red maple A rubrum beautuful fall color

Ginkgo Ginkgo biloba

Golden Larch Pseudlaryx amabilis

Katsura tree Cercidiphyllum japonicum wonderful tree with very nice leaves almost cordate "heart shaped" green and cinnamon color with the slighest hint of fragrance just as you walk past

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick Corylus avellana "Contorta" A twisted and distorted branch and leaf system a wonderful specimen to have as a focal point.

Heritage River Birch Betula nigra "Heritage" very exfoliating with nice rich colored bark leave are very nice in the fall and one of the most pest and disease resistant Birches.

American Hornbeam Carpinus caroliniana bark on trunk looks like a tight sinuey muscle under a smooth skin.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 01-Oct-2004, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

My favorite plant is a cactus. this is about the only thing that grows for me. Everything else is dying - no clue why.

I guess I don't have the green thumb. LOL

But since I have cats it's to risky for me to have plants so the only green plants in my house are faked. LOL

At least they don't die on me.

thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
freekenny 
Posted: 08-Oct-2004, 12:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo,
I love all plants~ everything has 'spirit' so I appreciate everything to the best of my ability~ sleep.gif Being that I have cats inside my home, I have to be extremely cautious about inside plants~
My favourite 'growing companions' have to be herbs~ I grow so many varieties for medicine bundles, teas, cooking, skin ointments etc. so would have to say all types of herbs are my favourite tongue.gif I just adore 'dabbing' into the wonderful world of mints! There are so many~
I also enjoy thoroughly all my ornamental grasses~ It is so nice to have something so 'majestic' year round in my yard~ biggrin.gif
~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 03-Nov-2004, 12:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo,
~ I had someone near and dear to me give me an Aloe Plant~ It was huge..when I 'broke' it up so that I could re-pot it, this thing made 6 nice size plants with 2 in each pot~ rolleyes.gif I am amazed at how great they are doing and how detailed and warm their colors are~ I keep one of the plants on my back porch and I couldn't count the tymes that I have pinched from it wink.gif It's nice to pinch a stem and then put it in the refrigerator..after a relaxing shower or soak, get your Aloe and carefully slice down the sides of the plant long-ways~ Scrape the Gel from the plant and rub around eye and forehead area~ So relaxing and so good for the skin! I believe it to be better than Vitamin E, my opinion only dry.gif So I guess one could say that I am enjoying my new Aloe Plants~
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 03-Nov-2004, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I love gardening, and all plants and flowers. But if I were to pick: hyacinths, russian sage, daffodils, ferns, lavender, marigolds, ivy, and - oh...I can't pick a favorite! I love them all!

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Redbud 
Posted: 09-Nov-2004, 07:06 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Texas

female

I appreciate a great many plants, which is maybe why I earned a BS in Floriculture!

I inherited a love for bearded irises from my Granny, & today I grow heirlooms from her as well as newer varieties. I can't get enough of them, & I'd have the whole place planted with them if my DH & oldest DS would indulge me & dig up all the Bermudagrass!

Who needs Bermudagrass winding it's way through the flower beds anyway? laugh.gif

One of my favorite trees is the Redbud (Cercis canadensis), which blooms in February here in North Texas. During the summer, Crepe myrtles rule the summer for easy care & beautiful blooms all during the hot weather.

Sherry

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt