Posted: 31-Aug-2005, 09:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 31-Aug-2005, 10:01 PM)
Mike, so you will get mugged for no money??? Just teasing.. that is a good idea! Specially if you work up an appetite and have to walk by the golden arches..Are you on concrete the entire time then?? Nothing dirt?
A country bumpkin ya know...LOL

Stoirmeil, so you are walking! Good.. I grew up in a real hilly place that was a real bummer when you had to walk up the hill in a blizzard all the way home...now I sound like my grandmother..LOL

Slainte smile.gif

Yes, I am on cement. Here in the big city, there are these cement strips that run parallel to streets. They're called sidewalks. I use those when I'm walking. I ride my bicycle in the street on side streets and on sidewalks on main streets.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 31-Aug-2005, 09:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 31-Aug-2005, 10:06 PM)
I don't walk north because of the forest preserve. There are wild dogs that live in there (I've seen several of them) and a couple of years ago, one person was killed and her friend, who lives in my parish, was seriously injured by dogs in the woods.

That's a fright!

Maybe you can do what the mailmen do -- they carry water pistols with ammonia in them. It takes a really insane dog not to stop cold and run away when that gets near their snouts.

Sidewalks?!! I thought they were bicycle and skateboard roads. unsure.gif

Way up at the north end of Manhattan is a stand of old growth forest. Really! I keep meaning to go up there, but it's several miles, and it seems silly to take a bus so you can go for a walk at the end of the bus ride. But it's very beautiful -- an estuary of the Hudson while it's still a river and not the salt pool it turns into at the southern point.

We finally have Hudson River walks the whole continuous length of the island. I use them too.
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 12:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 31-Aug-2005, 10:30 PM)
That's a fright!

Maybe you can do what the mailmen do -- they carry water pistols with ammonia in them. It takes a really insane dog not to stop cold and run away when that gets near their snouts.

Sidewalks?!! I thought they were bicycle and skateboard roads. unsure.gif

Way up at the north end of Manhattan is a stand of old growth forest. Really! I keep meaning to go up there, but it's several miles, and it seems silly to take a bus so you can go for a walk at the end of the bus ride. But it's very beautiful -- an estuary of the Hudson while it's still a river and not the salt pool it turns into at the southern point.

We finally have Hudson River walks the whole continuous length of the island. I use them too.

No, I don't like to go by the forest preserve. It gives me the creeps. Has ever since I was a kid.

Here in Chicago, there is a renewed interest in the Chicago River with riverwalks and such, but it is in its infancy. Mayor Daley and the park district are letting the communities that the river passes through decide what to do. I've only seen it from the el, but the riverwalk in Chinatown looks real nice.
Eiric 
Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 04:55 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

I like to dance/swim/ and/or walk!

--------------------
Anam Ceilteach

About Indigenous Peoples
If you ever needed a Gàidhlig dictionary

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever

Tha gach uile dhuine air a bhreth saor agus co-ionnan ann an urram 's ann an còirichean. Tha iad air am breth le reusan is le cogais agus mar sin bu chòir dhaibh a bhith beò nam measg fhein ann an spiorad bràthaireil

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever
PMEmail Poster               
talleyrand 
Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

The group I'm in doesn't do any competive dancing but we've had quite a few performances lately. We'll be at a gentleman's wedding in the near future, his bride to be is from Ireland but there's been some hangup with the Visa so that'll be a short notice type of thing. Then we're free until the Renaissance Festival Columbus day weekend which will be all the better this year because my first "real" kilt will be in by then.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
ghost 
Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Rindy @ 31-Aug-2005, 06:08 PM)
CC & Eventide-Tai Chi is much harder than it appears. It is a great martial art for anyone. I have slacked off for the summer and I can tell. It keeps your muscles and joints stretched out- your balance becomes unbelievable. It works on every muscle in your body. I remember when I first started it was my thighs that killed me. It isn't like Tae Kwan Do which is a lot of kicking- this is more forms over a 1000 I believe. The breathing that you are taught is great to use during stress and incase of attack. You learn self defense. You also learn a lot of blocking and strikes. You also have the discipline..

Eventide- I did kickboxing and I will say that was a heck of a work out! I continued it for only about 3 months as the class was so crowded..If you can do that you can do anything.. Sounds like you are doing great I have heard so much about Pilates but never tried it a killer huh? I do agree with you on the discipline that is part of the mental trainning, that has got to be there for the martial arts. I hope to start class back up soon.

I'm glad to hear it smile.gif I was looking for something other than yoga which happens to be very popular around here. I've tried yoga and I can respect those who practice but I know it's not for me. You've given me the encouragement I need to try Tai Chi, I was unaware that it included breathing techniques.

My Sensai in Jiu-jitsu included a lot of "shadow boxing" in his warm-ups among other things so I'm hoping the transition to kickboxing won't be too difficult. I'm sure I'll be nursing a few aches but it's all good stuff.

Yes, Pilates is an eye opener...I'm not too familiar with it, I've only tried it a few times and this was only with a video, but just after a few tries I felt it! Works all the core muscles..

In general what keeps me interested in my workouts is doing the things I like but mixing it up. The moment something becomes easy I kick it up a notch. Sometimes the length of the workout increases and others it's the intensity. All depends.
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 09:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (Eventide @ 01-Sep-2005, 02:56 PM)
My Sensai in Jiu-jitsu included a lot of "shadow boxing" in his warm-ups among other things so I'm hoping the transition to kickboxing won't be too difficult. I'm sure I'll be nursing a few aches but it's all good stuff.

Jiu Jitsu!!!!! notworthy.gif

As for kickboxing, we have Jean-Yves Theriault teaching kickboxing once a week at our dojo. Jean-Yves held the World Middleweight kickboxing title for 15 years (23 time world champion).

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Keltic 
Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 31-Aug-2005, 10:08 PM)
Keltic- its great to see you my friend. What do you mean martial arts with weights? If I may ask?? Does that mean working with weights during the trainning or like circut trainning? I am glad to know you are still into it..

Thanks, I've been around but quiet. I actually meant martial arts and weights separately, although some nights it feels like I'm wearing ankle and wrist weights when I train. I do, however, do slow punching with 10 to 20 pound dumbells as part of my weight routine. It hurts (in a good way)!!! Barring a really bad injury, I can't see myself stopping jiu jitsu. I am now into training mode for my black belt test which will be more than likely in the spring. My daughter just got her brown belt on Tuesday and my son got his purple belt (purple-brown-black).
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 01-Sep-2005, 10:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

I rode my bike about two miles tonight, but not in a straight line. I did a circuitous tour of my neighborhood. I strapped a Gatorade bottle filled with water to the bottle holder and took off.

BTW, empty Gatorade bottles make awesome water bottles, especially if you like to freeze 'em like I do. Just remember to not fill them up all the way. Remember what your 5th grade science teacher taught you: Water expands when it freezes. If you put a full bottle in the freezer, the bottle will crack.
ghost 
Posted: 06-Sep-2005, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Keltic @ 01-Sep-2005, 07:51 PM)

As for kickboxing, we have Jean-Yves Theriault teaching kickboxing once a week at our dojo. Jean-Yves held the World Middleweight kickboxing title for 15 years (23 time world champion).

Jean-Yves Theriault! It is I who should be notworthy.gif you!

I've been busy so I'm just reading this message now. It's great to know that your family is interested in martial arts.The benefits are huge. I got hooked the moment I was introduced, it's a great discipline and the benefits last a lifetime. I don't know about you but I sleep so well!!

PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 09-Sep-2005, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Gee you guys have really been busy!!! Way to go everyone...

Eiric- what kind of dancing do you like? Glad your here..

talleyrand how exciting let us know how you do...good luck-when is it like the 10th and 11th?

Eventide- just called on my Tai Chi class it begins this coming week.. Wish me luck I am sure it will make me sore.. Let me know if you take it and you like it..I didn't like yoga much either I am not that patient--

Keltic- I know what you mean about the feeling of weights tied to your body-oh I hate that..some days I always feel like that LOL. I am so happy for you and your family!! How neat.. so you have the go ahead on your test then??? Cool any idea of how many hours is your test? The last Tae Kwan Do black belt test I attended was 7 hours long very few water breaks.. They all passed.. One man is 50 something is a border patrol and has several black belts in the different martial arts..I don't know how he does it..Please let me know...

Mike, thats great! Sounds like your having fun.. What are you going to do when it snows??? Got to have a plan.....Funny with your water bottle I have done that learned my lesson my entire bag was soaked...

I have done the treadmill 4 days this week plan on doing it again tomorrow.. I start my Tai Chi this week -hope I am ready....

Keep up the great work everyone.. thumbs_up.gif

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
ArizonaAmy9 
  Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Ya know..I have been wondering about some sort of martial arts for my son. He will be 9 on friday and his Dad (and all of his family) have been pressuring me to get him into football...which my son tried last year and hated! On his Dad's side of the family they are a football/basketball playing lot but my son does not like either of them. He likes soccer right enough but I was thinking maybe something else to help him - with learning restraint, respect, calmness and many other wonderful things you can learn while in a sport, no matter what kind. Any advice? My son is tall for his age and probably will be but he is not gangly/akward...he's got good balance and what not. Just wondering since so many of you seem to know alot about it and have the experience I don't...all advice welcome....

--------------------
stoirmeil 
Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Some kind of martial arts -- or maybe dance? Highland dancing? Modern jazz? If you had it (he could get it here!) west african dancing is extremely athletic.

I think it would be a mistake to pressure him into something he will hate. Especially a team sport -- it will affect the team as well as him, and that's not kind.
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Martial arts sounds reasonable to me.

If I ever have a son, he'll have two choices of organized team sports to play: baseball or basketball. Football and hockey are out. Football is too dangerous IMHO for a developing body. Hockey you have to pay handsomely to join a private league, pay even more handsomely for the equipment and drag them to practice at 6AM.
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Sep-2005, 06:47 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Amy, you know what I am going to say...LOL laugh.gif No in all honesty, let him have a try at the martial arts.. I have seen kids as young as 5 which is really to young they don't have the attention span-but 9 is the perfect age-the boys always feel so cool taking it- they soon learn its not something you are suppose to go around bragging so that makes it even more cool..
He can always quit if he doesn't like it.. Its good to be tall in Tae Kwan Do as it is a lot of kicks..and your opponent has a hard time kicking your head. It might be wise to go watch a class first. IT can be scary at first but after you see yourself doing these things that you never dreamed of-can totally build your self confindence. You need to see what kind of instructor you want to. I have had the very strict military style and one that is layed back..I think it depends on the person who is taking the class can they handle military style...?? You know your son... smile.gif
Wish him a Happy Birthday from me too..
This is just in my 2 cents worth- Let us know what happens..OK...take care Amy!

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]