Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 22-Feb-2009, 01:56 PM)
Nova scotian; In your list of countries with gun control you mentioned Switzerland. Well the reason every Swiss household has a weapon is that all Swiss male capable of bearing arms must do military service and since the majority of their army are reservist they are allowed to keep there weapons and equipment at home. I has little or nothing to do with crime prevention.

Camac.

That is the reason and, yes, all are trained (I believe women can be on call for military duty also now.) The reason for the low crime rate is two fold. Very few are not military oriented and who in their right mind would break into a house where one or more occupants was known to be armed?! Crime prevention is just a side benefit of their military system. This was discussed recently on a PBS special about Switzerland.

A community in one of our Southern States had a serious crime problem a few years ago. Their council passed an ordinance that all households were required by law to posess at least one fire arm and ammunition for it. Their crime rate immediately dropped to 0, though I suspect the surrounding areas may have experienced an increase.

Also, some years back a WW2 vet. stopped a home robbery with a Japanese officers sword. He "ran the cook through' with the blade. The criminal turned, ran, collapsed outside on the front lawn and died before medical aid could arrive. He was carrying a handgun (illegally) and rope in his pocket. The sword was later returned to the property owner in a police ceremony.

There are not enough police to "protect" everyone so the best one can hope for is that you will not be killed or crippled and they can catch the person who committed the act against you.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

There are not enough police to "protect" everyone so the best one can hope for is that you will not be killed or crippled and they can catch the person who committed the act against you.

Call for a cop and a pizza and hope the pizza delivery driver is armed!

Read:

Courts Have Held that Police Have No Obligation to Protect

and

Warren v. District of Columbia

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 06:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ 22-Feb-2009, 07:06 PM)

Call for a cop and a pizza and hope the pizza delivery driver is armed!

Read:

Courts Have Held that Police Have No Obligation to Protect

and

Warren v. District of Columbia

Isn't that the truth!! Average arrival time in my small town, which is less than 2 1/2 miles from side to side in any direction, is at best 10 min. At times it has been MUCH longer That is a long time to stay alive in a tough situation.

Fortunately many pizza delivery persons are armed today.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 23-Feb-2009, 04:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 22-Feb-2009, 12:56 PM)
Nova scotian; In your list of countries with gun control you mentioned Switzerland. Well the reason every Swiss household has a weapon is that all Swiss male capable of bearing arms must do military service and since the majority of their army are reservist they are allowed to keep there weapons and equipment at home. I has little or nothing to do with crime prevention.

Camac.

Camac, I didn't write that post.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
valpal59 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very Important for you to be aware of a new bill HR 45 introduced into the House.

This is the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009.

We just learned yesterday about this on the Peter Boyles radio program.

Even gun shop owners didn't know about this because it is flying under the radar.

To find out about this - go to any government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. You will get all the information.

Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:

•It is registered

•You are fingerprinted

•You supply a current Driver's License

•You supply your Social Security #

•You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing

•Each update - change or ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail.

•There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18.

They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in prison.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

valpal59;

What you have just posted is basically what we have in Canada. The police can lay charges if warranted for "The improper storage of a Fire Arm" all firearms must be kept under lock and key and the ammunition stored in a seperate container under its own lock and key. The police cannot just search your home for firearms unless the have cause. If there is a domestic despute and one or the other spouse call for help and says there is a firearm in the house, if it is not stored as above you are in doodoo>

Camac.

Harlot 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

I went and did some some checking at my government site couldn't find anything so I googled it. What I found was, what they are asking is just what you have to do now too have a firearm, am I right on that? So I'm thinking well you have to register to vote ,have your car,some people even register their animals. I don't have a gun of any kind but would like one someday,so too me to have it registered wouldn't be such a big deal,meaning I if someone broke into my home while I was not there and took my gun commited a crime with it ,I reported it stolen I couldn't be charged with that crime. My reason that I'm for this is too keep the guns out of the hands that ones that shouldn't have them. It didn't sound like that they want too take that right too not have any at all but too be more responsible for them. Maybe I am wrong in that thinking but like I said I don't own one.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Taliesin 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

"I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (Harlot @ 25-Feb-2009, 04:09 PM)
I went and did some some checking at my government site couldn't find anything so I googled it. What I found was, what they are asking is just what you have to do now too have a firearm, am I right on that? So I'm thinking well you have to register to vote ,have your car,some people even register their animals. I don't have a gun of any kind but would like one someday,so too me to have it registered wouldn't be such a big deal,meaning I if someone broke into my home while I was not there and took my gun commited a crime with it ,I reported it stolen I couldn't be charged with that crime. My reason that I'm for this is too keep the guns out of the hands that ones that shouldn't have them. It didn't sound like that they want too take that right too not have any at all but too be more responsible for them. Maybe I am wrong in that thinking but like I said I don't own one.

The only purpose for registering the guns of law abiding citizens is control and/or confiscation. If a government seizes all the privately owned firearms tomorrow then the only people who will be armed are the government and criminals. If that is ok to everyone then you ought to support registration.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Unfortunately, since the patriot act, they can search your house with a warrant from the "secret court" and they have abused that. Most of the US has nowhere near the restrictions this law would impose. New York and California would be two that come to mind. The liberals in this country have for a long time stated their goal to disarm the American people so I see no innocence in HR 45.

Anyone willing to sacrifice a little liberty for a little perceived security deserves none of either (and will soon HAVE none of either.) We have laws that cover all of the things mentioned. A purchaser must now pass a background check and has had to do so since Kennedy's last visit to Texas.

Those who planned to hunt to supplement their families protein may have to use a sling shot or learn to build "dead fall traps" Archery equipment is also a deadly weapon.

Look at the overthrow of the Russian Czar and and Hitlers rise to power. Both involved financial crisis, disarming the people starting with licensing to "find all the firearms" and finally the execution of untold millions of people. Never for a minute think it can not happen again! We may actually be LESS civilized today than the populace was in those times.

I can assure you that no matter what country you live in, those intent on harming you and stealing your possessions will not turn in their firearms. I am more familiar with the western part of Canada and very many there consider the "registration" requirement to be voluntary and have not registered their firearms. These were business people and property owners.

We may have worse things on the horizon than an inflationary recession/depression!!

I am sure some will not agree but as a Constitutionalist", as is Ron Paul, this is how I see it!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Taliesin @ 25-Feb-2009, 05:28 PM)
"I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop."

I try to avoid places where the need for protection is necessary. However I have medical appointments from time to time in areas that I would not visit for any other reason. Hiring an off duty officer is cost prohibitive and in many instances, I can better protect myself than most police officers could.

The people who CAN afford "protection" are the same ones who caused/helped cause your investments and retirement to shrink and who were instrumental in causing your unemployment or future unemployment! Doesn't that make us all feel special!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 25-Feb-2009, 08:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

"FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!"
Charlton Hesston (And millions of Americans!)

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 25-Feb-2009, 08:36 PM)
"FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!"
Charlton Hesston (And millions of Americans!)

beer_mug.gif

Hubby's sentiments also. thumbs_up.gif

Val
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

valpal59;

Yuh know I luv you yanks but this gun thing throws me. I hate the damn things and what they stir up in my mind.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Since the beginning of humanity, we have used weapons. Probably sticks and stones in the beginning. Cain killed Abel with a rock. We continued to progress from there and are still doing so today. In the UK, they even considered outlawing steak knives as crime increased after restricting firearms.. You Canadians today are fortunate in that your population is not crowded. As it becomes so, your crime too will increase.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]