UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 26-Mar-2008, 06:57 AM)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...Technology/home

I felt bad for you guys, being subject to the Patriot Act, but now it's becoming a security issue here. Why is the US waiting around to finally be allowed to have their freedom back? Your paranoid government has managed to restrict travel of people outside their own nation, and the words 'out of control' take on a new meaning with the Bush Admin.

oldraven, and then we give blanket immunity to companies that break the law at the administrations beckon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNew...162638420080311
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/10/d...ushing-spy.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7050302323.html
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/02/o...sp-of-sena.html

All found on Google!!! Check me out, Patriots!!!!!!

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

oldraven;
To stay off subject for just a moment longer:

1; Look in the Cdn Oxford Dictionary or the Cdn Intermediate Dictionary and you will find it spelt with a ZED rather than a S.

2; The Oath of Cdn Citizenship is as follows;

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful
and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada,
Her heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully
observe the laws of Canada
and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

I know this as I have taken the oath twice.

Camac.

Camac
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

UlsterScotNutt

I am not to familiar with the American Constitution but if memory serves me right it is Congress who shall declare war issue letters of marque etc. If this be the case them congress has been remiss in its duties since the 1950s' ie. Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf War and now both Iraq, and Afghanistan. The Patriot Act sounds an awfully lot like our Emergency War Measures Act. Last invoked in the 70s' over the FLQ crisis in Quebec.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 26-Mar-2008, 04:30 PM)
UlsterScotNutt

I am not to familiar with the American Constitution but if memory serves me right it is Congress who shall declare war issue letters of marque etc. If this be the case them congress has been remiss in its duties since the 1950s' ie. Korea, Viet Nam, Gulf War and now both Iraq, and Afghanistan. The Patriot Act sounds an awfully lot like our Emergency War Measures Act. Last invoked in the 70s' over the FLQ crisis in Quebec.

Camac.

Camac, you are correct. We forget very easily and fall for lies from the administration. We have a tendency to believe our President. The sad part is in Vietnam it wasn't clear we were lied to about the Tonkin Bay incident until years later but we were aware we had been lied to pretty shortly thereafter invading Iraq. Yet, Congress continued to kowtow to the executive branch. I don't know if you noticed I used the word "pasted" and not 'Passed" for what Congress did with the Patriot Act, because all they did was "cut and paste" what the adminstration wanted them too.

Korea was before me and I have not delved deep enough into it to render my opinion and hang my ignorance out for view. Vietnam is alittle closer to home. I had to register for the draft but it ended like 2 weeks later. I was put into 1H, for 1 Holding. So I never had to experience the draft expectency.

I recently learned my mother was so opposed to the Vietnam war she was all set to send me to Canada to live.
Camac
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 04:25 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

UlsterScotNutt
Good for your Mother. I must confess though that I was one of roughly 40,000 Canadians who volunteered and fought in Viet Nam. I personally was against the sending of draftees to the war, it ruined to many young lives and I think there were enough people like me who were willing at the time to fight in it. I spent two years there but I pushed my luck and came out on a stretcher. I spent 6 1/2 years in the U.S. Army but I admit I was glad to get out and return to Canada.

Camac.

oldraven 
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 26-Mar-2008, 02:06 PM)
oldraven;
To stay off subject for just a moment longer:

1; Look in the Cdn Oxford Dictionary or the Cdn Intermediate Dictionary and you will find it spelt with a ZED rather than a S.

2; The Oath of Cdn Citizenship is as follows;

I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful
and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada,
Her heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully
observe the laws of Canada
and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

I know this as I have taken the oath twice.

Camac.

unsure.gif

Wow. I can't believe how incredibly wrong I was on that one. The Oath, that is. (I fell victim to media brain there for a minute and had the Pledge in my head. I just forgot to think of the second half of that first sentence. It's going to take a while to bounce back from this one, I'm afraid. Adam just forgot which Country he lived in in the politics forum. Ouch.)

Canadian English. tongue.gif Almost as absurd as American English. I like my English with an English flavour. But you're right, again.

I'm going to go have a Smithwicks. beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 26-Mar-2008, 05:20 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Oldraven
Enjoy theSmithwicks. Wish I could join you. I used to rather like it along with Newcastle Brown.

Camac

cheers.gif

oldraven 
Posted: 27-Mar-2008, 06:04 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 26-Mar-2008, 04:20 PM)
Oldraven
Enjoy theSmithwicks. Wish I could join you. I used to rather like it along with Newcastle Brown.

Camac

cheers.gif

Funny you say that. I had just finished a 'Newkie' before reading my blunder. tongue.gif I think by the amount I buy, Newcastle Brown has replaced Kilkenny as my favourite ale.
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 27-Mar-2008, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 26-Mar-2008, 02:16 PM)
Of course you also have to tealize that you would have to swear allegiance to the crown and learn how to spell correctly. laugh.gif

Camac

Poor spelling may diminish the message, (some what), but most of us still get it.
Just my two pence, since it’s worth more the two cents.

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 27-Mar-2008, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

J.C.

Your tuppence is always welcomed.

Camac.

UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 11-Apr-2008, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 26-Mar-2008, 05:25 PM)
UlsterScotNutt
Good for your Mother. I must confess though that I was one of roughly 40,000 Canadians who volunteered and fought in Viet Nam. I personally was against the sending of draftees to the war, it ruined to many young lives and I think there were enough people like me who were willing at the time to fight in it. I spent two years there but I pushed my luck and came out on a stretcher. I spent 6 1/2 years in the U.S. Army but I admit I was glad to get out and return to Canada.

Camac.

Camac, I didn't realize that so many Canadians served in Vietnam. How did that work? Canadians in the US Army?
Irag now another example of a military solution to a misinformed politcal issue.
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 11-Apr-2008, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 11-Apr-2008, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 26-Mar-2008, 05:25 PM)
UlsterScotNutt

Camac.

Camac, I didn't realize that so many Canadians served in Vietnam. How did that work? Canadians in the US Army?
Irag now another example of a military solution to a misinformed politcal issue.

Two cousins of mine from Nova Scotia served in "Nam". One in the Army and the other in the Navy. I have a Cousin, Kempton Adkins, who was a senator in ontario who served in Korea in the US Army. When I was in the Navy, we had quite a few Canadians who inlisted in the US forces. They couldn't become officers or have a top secret security clearance but they could serve pretty easily provided they passed the back ground check.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Camac
Posted: 12-Apr-2008, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

UlsterScotNutt
I believed you asked how it worked for Cdns to join the US forces. Actually its was quite easy. In my case I drove over to Buffalo found an Army recuiting station (in the post office ) told the sergeant why I was there, specified duty in Nam, signed the papers. After that I was sent home to await my reporting orders and my visa. That took about a month and off I went to Fort Dix NJ for basic. I joined in May 67 and Nov. 67 landed in Nam.

Camac.

stoirmeil 
Posted: 12-Apr-2008, 02:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Pardon me for asking, and I do so with all respect. I know the reasons are likely to be complex . . . lately I've been immersed (to put it lightly) in history and literature of the Spanish Civil War, which as you know attracted fighting men and women from all over the world to help the Republican cause. (Probably the only war in history where the ones who lost were the heroes and are still remembered with ferocious love and pride, at least by their descendants.) So I know there can be strong ideological reasons for supporting someone else's war effort.

What made you Canadians enlist to fight in the Vietnam conflict?
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 12-Apr-2008, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

stoirmeil;

I can only answer for my self but I suspect many Cdns did so for the same reason, Adventure. Part of it was also curiosity and perhaps carrying on a tradition. I don't know. For as far back as my families can be traced there has always been soldiers.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]