Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

It's to compensate an employee for living expenses while away from home. How many mansions or summer houses you own is completely irrelevant. If your innovative interpretation of the term is correct, Monday morning present your boss with a per diem claim for all of those nights that you drove home from work, cooked dinner in your kitchen, and slept in your bed; say...$17,000 last year (sounds fair, doesn't it?). Be sure to let us all know how that works out for you.

Most employers (and all courts) consider "padding"; filing false expense reports, fraud ("intentional deception to cause a person to give up property or some lawful right"). In Alaska, defrauding your employer of $17,000 constitutes grand larceny; a felony punishable by up to 10 years.

How many residences you maintain is completely relevant. Per Diem is, I repeat, to compensate an employee for maintaining more than one residence.
Whether that residence is a rented apartment, a motel room or an additional house does not matter. Which residence they sleep at each night is also irrelevant.
Per Diem is not a bill submitted to an employer- that would be an expense report, which is completely different.
I could not claim it from my current employer, since I maintain only one residence.
As for the quantity ($17,000 for 300 days) the amount claimable as Per Diem varies based upon where you live. Where I'm at, the amount is $41 per day. Perhaps where she lives in Alaska $58 per day is the legal, allowed amount. Per Diem varies from an expense report in that you do not have to show receipts for it- Per Diem is a flat amount per day (per day is exactly what per diem means). Because it is not an expense report, your comments about "padding" are completely unrelated.

That is a description of Per Diem verified by my sister, who is a Professor of Tax Law at the University of Georgia. Prior to that, she practiced Tax Law at a firm on Pennsylvania Ave in DC. Needless to say, she's usually the first person I contact with tax-related questions.

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 06:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

So only the rich are allowed per diems as only they can afford more than one residence. Fascinating; who knew?
laugh.gif
Remind me to never seek legal advice from your sister!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

So only the rich are allowed per diems as only they can afford more than one residence. Fascinating; who knew?

If by rich you mean maintaining more than one residence, then yes I guess it can only be claimed by the rich- because that's what the law says.
Do you read before replying?
Whether that residence is a rented apartment, a motel room or an additional house does not matter.

If "rich" people are the only ones that can rent an apartment or a motel room, then yeah- I guess it's only for the rich.
Numerous freight companies, such as Werner Enterprises pay drivers Per Diem despite the driver not maintaining an additional residence. While drivers may live in their trucks while OTR (over-the-road) doing so incurs no additional expenses for the driver.

Living out of the sleeper cab of a truck isn't exactly limited to "the rich" either.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (subhuman @ 23-Oct-2008, 08:58 AM)
If by rich you mean maintaining more than one residence, then yes I guess it can only be claimed by the rich- because that's what the law says.

If "rich" people are the only ones that can rent an apartment or a motel room, then yeah- I guess it's only for the rich.

Living out of the sleeper cab of a truck isn't exactly limited to "the rich" either.

Ahhh, to have a tax lawyer in the family!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
SCShamrock 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

QUOTE (Emmet @ 23-Oct-2008, 05:59 AM)

Yes; when angry mobs scream "NIG*ER!" and "KILL HIM!" at every mention of his name, that is precisely what comes to mind.

And this is something Palin should be condemned for? I don't think so. People NOT at the lectern have constitutionally protected free speech just like the speaker, even if they are leftist Democrat operatives just trying to taint the waters.
wink.gif

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I am shocked by the way the press had persecuted her. CNN owes her a big apology. I am also ashamed of the people who allow this type of action. I think it would be better to listen to candidates answer questions and have no news comments. Why have the American people allowed others to form their views for them? Can we not think for ourselves anymore?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Yes; when angry mobs scream "NIG*ER!" and "KILL HIM!" at every mention of his name, that is precisely what comes to mind.

And this is something Palin should be condemned for? I don't think so. People NOT at the lectern have constitutionally protected free speech just like the speaker, even if they are leftist Democrat operatives just trying to taint the waters.

I most certainly do think so! Any politician who runs such a slanderous and divisive campaign that it promotes or encourages such behavior should be condemned. Any politician who responds to such hate speech with nothing but a broad smile should be condemned, AND REJECTED BY THE ELECTORATE! America is better than that. Wearing white robes and hoods and burning crosses is Constitutionally protected speech too. While we have to tolerate it, that doesn't preclude us from condemning it (unless, of course, you happen to agree with them).

As for your ludicrous allegation that the Republican "base" that Palin's so adept at "energizing" are actually Democratic agent provocateurs, please provide one iota of evidence to back it up. Otherwise it's just more unfounded Republican BS meant to change the subject and smear your opponent.
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

I am shocked by the way the press had persecuted her.

Precisely how has the press persecuted her? Asking questions and reporting the answers (and investigating their veracity) is the function of the fourth estate in a democracy. If you repeatedly say things that make you sound like an idiot, you're going to sound like an idiot on the evening news. Shooting the messenger doesn't materially change the message.
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 11:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

As for your ludicrous allegation that the Republican "base" that Palin's so adept at "energizing" are actually Democratic agent provocateurs, please provide one iota of evidence to back it up. Otherwise it's just more unfounded Republican BS meant to change the subject and smear your opponent.

Seriously, you keep reading what you want to see, not what people are writing.
He said "even if they are..." not "even though they are..."
The second would be an allegation, what he stated was not.
Earlier when I brought up that Per Diem is available to the rich as well as the not rich, you interpreted it to mean it was only available to the rich. In both of these instances, what you've responded to is very different than what was posted.

Allow me to ask this:
Any politician who runs such a slanderous and divisive campaign that it promotes or encourages such behavior should be condemned.

To use your own choice of phrase, can you provide one iota of evidence to back up the claim that she's promoting this behavior?
Crowds at these rallies are usually quite large and noisy. Just because the camera's microphone picks up someone saying "kill him!" that doesn't mean the comment carried to the person on the podium.
For all we know, she never heard those comments, but was instead smiling in response to cheering.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Emmet @ 23-Oct-2008, 12:57 PM)

And this is something Palin should be condemned for? I don't think so. People NOT at the lectern have constitutionally protected free speech just like the speaker, even if they are leftist Democrat operatives just trying to taint the waters.[/QUOTE]

I most certainly do think so! Any politician who runs such a slanderous and divisive campaign that it promotes or encourages such behavior should be condemned. Any politician who responds to such hate speech with nothing but a broad smile should be condemned, AND REJECTED BY THE ELECTORATE! America is better than that. Wearing white robes and hoods and burning crosses is Constitutionally protected speech too. While we have to tolerate it, that doesn't preclude us from condemning it (unless, of course, you happen to agree with them).

Maybe we are not "better than that. Many of us are but I see reactions from Democrats who are supposed to be politically correct that would indicate there is racism in the mix. Many D's here are voting 3rd party for the first time ever. The votes are mostly for Nader and Barr according to those who talk about it. I ave a neighbor who is a State Democrat Committeeman and he is worried "about the polls". If anything upsets Obama's "basket of apples" now it will be racism with in the Democratic party.

I ave not heard that Palin (and I do not like her as a candidate) made any comments that would be considered racist or attempts to incite riots. The Republicans in the audience are not voting for Obama anyway so if anything their politically incorrect comments only help solidify the Democrat base!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Yes; apparently considerably more than you do. If you spent more than five minutes Googling per diem, you'd see what I mean.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 23-Oct-2008, 01:23 PM)
[QUOTE=Emmet,23-Oct-2008, 12:57 PM]
And this is something Palin should be condemned for? I don't think so. People NOT at the lectern have constitutionally protected free speech just like the speaker, even if they are leftist Democrat operatives just trying to taint the waters.[/QUOTE]

As for your ludicrous allegation that the Republican "base" that Palin's so adept at "energizing" are actually Democratic agent provocateurs, please provide one iota of evidence to back it up. Otherwise it's just more unfounded Republican BS meant to change the subject and smear your opponent. [/QUOTE]
Maybe we are not "better than that. Many of us are but I see reactions from Democrats who are supposed to be politically correct that would indicate there is racism in the mix. Many D's here are voting 3rd party for the first time ever. The votes are mostly for Nader and Barr according to those who talk about it. I ave a neighbor who is a State Democrat Committeeman and he is worried "about the polls". If anything upsets Obama's "basket of apples" now it will be racism with in the Democratic party.

I ave not heard that Palin (and I do not like her as a candidate) made any comments that would be considered racist or attempts to incite riots. The Republicans in the audience are not voting for Obama anyway so if anything their politically incorrect comments only help solidify the Democrat base!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

I should have added, assuming that those shouting the comments are not "plants" from the Democrat party. Both sides do it!!

Please bear in mind, I am just pointing out a fact not condoning it.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

We have a lot of Democrats that can't seem to get over the last 2 elections. If mother Teresa was running on any other ticket but the democratic ticket these unhappy folk would be ready to crucify her.

Politician tend to hold themselves to a different standard, they have their own entitlement program.

Think about this Al Gore wants us all to live more "green" and didn't he win some nobel prize for his work concerning global warming? But yet he flies around in a private jet, has 3 large homes and drives SUVs, Joe Biden for all his millions only gave around $4000 to charity. Politician like these 2 want to dictate to American how we should live and how much we give. And lets not forget the GOP and their contract with America---not!!!! I could go on and on. This nation is divided, deeply mabe it is time to dump all of those folks in Washington and start over.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I tried this time! Our Representative has only been there a few months and he voted against the "bail out." I gave him a "pass" and my vote. I voted against the rest of the establishment. (both main presidential candidates and my senator)

If Obama has a good turnout, we may see some changes in the legislative branch.

I would truly like to see "gridlock". The important things will be acted upon but the stupid cr-p will go by the wayside. It worked well under Clinton.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Jillian 
Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Pennsylvania

female

I'm actually still a little surprised that Palin is getting this much attention from those who oppose the Republican ticket.

One would think she's running for President...not McCain. Jillian

There are three reasons which come to mind (which actually apply equally well to many Republicans, too):........Emmet

1. I understand what the Vice Prez does...and if your convinced Biden would be grand as a President should the situation present itself....stand up Chuck.

2. Reputation: Joe's ain't all that pretty.

3. Bashing Republicans and putting forth the race card to describe them, does not provide one with a positive view of Democrats.

PS: I will vote Independent...as in "Independent thinker".

Jillian

--------------------

"Disappointments are inevitable. Discouragement is a choice."
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]