Posted: 04-Nov-2013, 10:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

Jim Malcolm is a well known name in Scottish traditional circles. He is perhaps best known as the former lead singer for the great progressive-trad band, Old Blind Dogs. Several years ago, Jim left the band to pursue a solo career.

It had been two years since I had attended a Jim Malcolm concert. It was a wonderful event and I hope I don't have to wait two more years again!

Jim's voice has never been better. When you listen to any of the OBD projects and listen to Jim now, I think you will see that his voice has not slipped one bit. It is as smooth and clear as ever! My daughter and I were amazed at some of the higher notes he hit with relative ease.

Jim mixes a good amount of comedy with his singing. Her is a very personable performer and puts an audience at ease very quickly. He also gives some history of Scotland that coincides with the music he sings. Smaller venues are great places to hear him work his magic. You get he sense that he is singing just to you. Jim Malcolm is a master at his craft!

Many of the songs he sang this particular night came from his new project "Still." It consists of mostly traditional Scottish songs and only has one of Jim's original compositions. Some of the highlights for me were The Baron O Brackley, Queen Amang the Heather, Jock o Hazeldean, and Pawky Patterson. He also sang a couple of songs from his days with OBD.

Jim is currently on tour and you can get information as to where he is performing at www.jimmalcolm.com. If you love good Celtic music and he is anywhere near you, Jim Malcolm is a must see!! And yes, I am a huge fan and proud of it!

Just a heads-up is this is your first time to hear Jim; he uses a lot of Scottish phrases in his singing which may be hard to understand. I have heard him and read so many of the liner notes that is does not adversely affect my listening experience.

Needless to say, this was an A+ listening treasure.

Have a great day!

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 15-Nov-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Glad to hear Jim M. is doing well. Thanks for the review haynes!!
PMEmail Poster               
haynes9 
Posted: 16-Nov-2013, 02:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

I'm telling you, JP, the man's voice just gets better with age. He hasn't lost a step and can still get it done on stage. Great night of music!

OBD hope to come back to the states by 2015. I guess their visa problems were doozies! We can only hope!

Take care, my friend!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]