> Correct Me If I'm Wrong....., Tolerance is a wonderful thing
Catriona 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (ranger @ Oct 9 2003, 08:50 PM)
You'd be right, Cat. But I'm not one to argue, so that's why I tend to stay away from alot of the forums and stay in the ones I enjoy. Everyone needs a soapbox now and then.  biggrin.gif

Ranger
Please point out where I've been 'judgemental'.... And, if I have, then I will apologise. I was just pointing out that some of the newer posters on here were being a tad 'tetchy' to those that are professed pagans.... as is their right to be on this forum. After all, they requested this forum, and have every right to post in peace.

BTW only friends call me 'Cat' - others call me by my full name - ie Catriona - the pronounciation of which is Kuh tree uh na (long tree).... Just so you get it right next time. sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 07:25 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Like I said, I'm not one to argue, 'Catriona'. wink.gif

Annabelle 
Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 10:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I'm for the Vulcan Department! Live Long and Prosper!
Now if I can get my finger's in place...................oh hec, beam me up!
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Celeste of the Stars 
Posted: 31-Oct-2003, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

female

I would love to add my 2 cents if I may. I am a Wicca/Pagan how ever you want to refer to me, and my husband is an agnostic. Nobody likes being told that they're beliefs are wrong nor do they like having someone elses beliefs pushed onto them. If I'm not mistaken pagans are supposed to be the most tolerant, so can we please have a tolerant forum?

--------------------
Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
Celeste of the Stars
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 31-Oct-2003, 09:54 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

How nice to stumble upon a thread that claims 'Tolerance' in the title, yet shows so little of it in the thread. rolleyes.gif

There should not be a separate forum for Christianity. There should simply be a Religion forum. Separating ourselves IS the entire problem.

Everybody..................CHILL!

beer_mug.gif and have a beer.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 01-Nov-2003, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

oldraven: Though it may be later realized that Christianity teaches to respect other people. Not other religions considered an abomination to God.
I'm not saying anything against the other, just a fact.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 01-Nov-2003, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Oldraven,

I agree with you. There's so much we can learn from each other, though some things may be difficult/painful to confront. Isolationism and antagonism do not help any of us! I've been trying to stay out of the discussions so far, so as not to accidently offend those I'm trying to learn from. Just couldn't keep still now.

Everyone, please mellow out and relax.

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (maryellen @ Nov 1 2003, 08:31 AM)
oldraven: Though it may be later realized that Christianity teaches to respect other people. Not other religions considered an abomination to God.
I'm not saying anything against the other, just a fact.

Thats one of many areas that paganism and christianity differ. Christians are taught to respect only those who share they're religous beliefs, and condemn those who don't. Where as pagan are taught to respect everybody and everything and condemn none no matter what .

--------------------
Have a day!

Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
*Celeste of the Stars*

"Always shoot for the moon that way if you miss you'll always land among the stars"

'An it harm non do what you will'
PMEmail Poster                
Aaediwen 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 09:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Indeed, this thread raises questions. Many of the threads I've been reading have been cool enough. This one got kindof hot there for a while. Thought I was in the crossfire of a flamewar.

I know there are Christians who can't stand the concept of other religons existing (Heaven forbid that there's another school of thought) And I've read some pagan sites that are pretty harsh on the Christian world. You'll get bad apples in any group I guess

This forum does have a decidedly Pagan title, but since when does that mean we have to sounds like we're driving other religons out here.... How are we going to learn from each other if everyone is playing in their own little sandbox?

Sure, if that's the intent of this specific forum to be specifically Pagan discussion then have at it and create a forum for discussion about every religon represented in the group of us who read these. But let's leave the flame throwers at the door, no matter who posts to what forum.

I don't agree with some of the beliefs stated on these forums, and there are some people who I suspect are a little more closed-minded than I believe is healthy. But I am not going to say anything about who, what, where, when, or why I feel that way because for one, that's against the core of my own belief to say that someone is right or wrong. Plus, I would be wrong to say someone shouldn't post what they have to say.

So what if we have some Christian views in a Pagan forum, or vice versa? so long as they are relivant to the topic, I'd hope that their presence would help add some color to it by introducing another perspective on whatever the topic is.

I disagree with several people, and have trouble accepting some people's beliefs. However, that's my problem, not theirs. That's an evil that I should deal with on my own terms and not inflict on others. Believe me, I wish I had an easier time accepting people's beliefs than I do, perticularly views that are in strict conflict with my own. Whoever believes like that, believes they're right for a reason. Who am I to say they're wrong or right?

note: On the comment of single minded Christians or Pagans, Seems like I notice each to be a minority in their group.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
McHaggis 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 11:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

Good points! I personally have tried to live my life as if there were no higher powers and no afterlife. That means that ultimate responsibility for action and reaction lies on my shoulders alone and I only get one life to make the best of it and not mess up anybody else's trip along the way.

Of course, I do the above with the complete understanding I could be and most probably am completely wrong!

RON

--------------------
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT"

"...A bonnie lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no lass for me...."

(From "O Once I Lov'd" - Robert Burns)

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make." --J.M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
PMEmail Poster               
andylucy 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 04:27 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (Celeste of the Stars1 @ Nov 2 2003, 03:30 PM)

Thats one of many areas that paganism and christianity differ. Christians are taught to respect only those who share they're religous beliefs, and condemn those who don't. Where as pagan are taught to respect everybody and everything and condemn none no matter what .

Whoa, Celeste of the Stars1.

I am a very, very conservative Catholic. But I look for the good in every faith tradition until they show me that there is no good in them. I do NOT judge Wiccans because their faith conflicts with what I happen to believe.

It was a long faith journey for me to get where I am. I think that I examined/practiced every tradition, except possibly Shinto. biggrin.gif I travelled the pagan route for several years, and found that it was not for me.

Even John Paul II says that we should always look for the good in all religions, even though we may not agree with them. That is why he has gone to several interfaith prayer meetings. These included Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants, Buddhists, Pagans, and some whose affiliation escapes me.

So let's all just relax and worship (or not wink.gif ) as we see fit. Debate is great. I personally feel that educated conversation between persons of differing viewpoints is the best way to grow intellectually and spiritually. But generalizations (by anyone) tend to dampen the exchange of ideas, because people tend to become defensive when others generalize about them. Not that I've ever done that, snicker, snicker, snort angel_not.gif .

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Thank you andylucy. You took the words right out of my mouth.

This
Christians are taught to respect only those who share they're religous beliefs, and condemn those who don't.
all depends on the teacher. Yes, some ministers/pastors/priests will tell you to avoid all other religions. Yet some teach you about other religions and their beliefs in a way of respect. Every pastor I had growing up leaned toward the first. They didn't speak of other religions at all, more so avoided the subject. But the last pastor I had before I left the church (not for diferences, I just lost the draw to the building, faith was disapearing in that church, and I wasn't about to watch it die around me) made an effort to teach us youth about what others believe. So that we can understand and respect all other people. Even when I made some slightly rude remarks, being young and supid as I was, he simply ignored me and went on with the lesson.

Please, I don't generalize about paganism, so don't do the same about Christianity. I do admit I have an easier time accepting Bhuddism than Paganism, but I'm trying. Some ideas are just ground in very early. Angela has a sort of mixed belief. She believes things from many religions, including Christian and Pagan beliefs.

It's not easy, but the only way to have someone respect your religion is to respect everyone elses. And that, I can proudly say, is where I stand. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I was under the assumption that everything had "chilled" since there hadn't been a posting on this thread in 21 days. At least until this past weekend......< sigh> cool.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 12:35 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Sorry Barddas. Just blame me for being a n00b. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ Nov 3 2003, 02:35 PM)
Sorry Barddas. Just blame me for being a n00b. laugh.gif

It's all good m'friend. wink.gif Just preventative damage control....LOL!

Have one on me beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]