Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> North Vs. South, Is the Civil War over?
tsargent62 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

AD, how is the word "Yankee" viewed in your end of the world. Since you've lived in 2 countries, how do they use it in each?

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
Randy 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

Realm: Rochester, NY

male

I could care less about the word personally. I am from NY and I went to college in Georgia. Trust me I got my fair share of "Yankee". I think I actually forgot my real name. I am pretty sure my baseball coach did not know my real name ))), then again he had such a strong southern accent that I could barely understand him some times anyway. If southerns do not like me cause I was born in NY I could care less. I just love baseball and do not like the NY Yankees
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

well.. in Germany we don't use it really.. I haven't heard it uttered by germans more than twice..
Over here I've heard it a bit more often, it is used with contempt or jokingly. And it usually applies to all Americans (since ppl over here really don't care about North/South issues).

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I know I've wandered offtopic.gif here.

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Feb 20 2004, 12:34 PM)
Eoghainn, the Northern Ireland issue came up with the founding of the Republic of Ireland. That was last century. The fight for independence itself started earlier...

Aon_Daonna,

As I understand the conflicts in Ireland, the questions of Ulster in relation to Irish independence, while obviously quite interwoven, can be viewed in a historical context as two sperate issues.

The main problem in Ulster, as I see it, was caused by the Plantation Concept started by Mary Tudor (Mary I) and continued by Elizabeth I and James Stuart (James I (VI)) in which the native Catholic Irish were thrown off their land and replaced by Protestant Scottish and English peoples. This was all done in response to serious errors in judgement by the Irish Lords who held most of Ulster at the time. The Ulster question (Protestant or Catholic domination) was ultimately decided in the Civil War between James II (VII) and William III (of Orange) with the defeat of James' Irish forces, along with the French, at the Battle of Boyne (1690).

The question of Irish Independence existed from the moment the English (Normans) started taking over Ireland (we're talking the 1100's). The Irish started revolting then (there was almost a Celtic victory when Robert the Bruce's brother, Edward Bruce, invaded with a large Scottish force in 1315, but that failed too) and didn't succeed until the 1916-1921 revolution. The partition of the North from the rest of the Republic at that time was more a result of the aforementioned Plantation than any other single event.

Please feel free to knock holes in my dissertation. smile.gif

MacEoghainn

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (birddog20002001 @ Feb 19 2004, 10:35 PM)
No merely the Army.

That was the "Grand Army of the Republic"! tank.gif

There is a similar discussion going on in the Polls Forum under "Confederate Memories", has everybody taken their best shots over there yet? box.gif

MacEoghainn smile.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

IMHO, the cultural genocide being conducted largely by Yankee liberals and their allies is just another manifestation of the sort of thought control that has been going on for thousands of years--an ancient example being the Roman attemt to eradicate all vestiges of Celtic culture.
The key difference in the Yankee way of thinking and the Southern (more Celtic) wayof thinking is that Yankees are satisfied mrerly defeating someone--they want that to become like them and think like them. GWB's attitude that we can use Iraq to establish western-style democracy in the Middle East is a good example of Yankee thinking.
The reason for the US Bill of Rights was to protect the states, as well as the people, from the excessive use of power by the Federal government
By the time of the WBTS, it had become clear that the north was ready to impose their way of thinking on the south, in violation of the Constitution, while the south simply wanted to be left alone.
Nothing has really changed. Southerners tend not to be concerned about what Northerners do in their home states, while Yankees continue to want Southerners to be and think like Northerners. So, yes, the war may be over, but the fight for freedomgoes on.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Don't worry pal, I don't mind going off topic.. I was merely stating that the issue of independence is older than the whole Northern Ireland Issue (in which I take the stance that it's one island, why not one state? I don't care about religious issues nor about the protestants keeping their high status).
Just that you referred to the Northern Ireland Issue as existant since ages but before the independence of the Republic, the issue did not exist in it's form as it is today.
PMEmail Poster               
corrigan 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sarasota, FL

female

OH GOOD HEAVENS!

I'm the one that called everybody "up north" a yankee and I was talking about the weather. The term "yankee" has been used in polite conversation for at least a hundred years. I simply don't understand how you yankees can survive sub-50 degree weather. I'd freeze to death and almost did during my horrid exile in Cleveland last winter - Brrrrr!

As many advocates of limited government live north of the mason-dixon line, let's leave the term yankee out of it. I'm a bleeding-heart libertarian. IOW I believe that collectively we all have a responsibility to those less fortunate, BUT I am appalled and alarmed by the recent attempts to erode our civil liberties. Today I was explaining to my friend Pep who just moved here from Spain why we have separate laws in each state (and therefore why he has to get a Florida driver's license and not an US one). We don't want our government to be that centralized. The framers of the constitution designed our government to give each region legislative freedom. This is one reason why we don't have a Franco, yet...
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (birddog20002001 @ Feb 20 2004, 12:00 AM)
........., they are to the South what Vichy and his cronies were to France.

Q. Why did the French plant trees along the streets?
A. So the Germany could march in the shade. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 05:41 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

I've got a dumb question. Why is this thread in philosopny and religion rather than the political forum? Is it because the civil war is long over (the south lost) and the southerners are indulging in wishful thinking? biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Maybe it's some sort of religion for the participants? wink.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas @ Feb 20 2004, 05:39 PM)
IMHO, the cultural genocide being conducted largely by Yankee liberals and their allies is just another manifestation of the sort of thought control that has been going on for thousands of years--

I had heard that the genocide was caused by southern conservatives. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

Is that an oxymoron? Southern conservatives?

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
maisky 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Feb 21 2004, 07:45 PM)
Is that an oxymoron? Southern conservatives?

errr....I know of one by the name of "Bush". laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Feb 21 2004, 08:11 PM)
errr....I know of one by the name of "Bush".  laugh.gif

Personally, I tend to think of my 16th cousin shrub as a carpetbagger. angel_not.gif beer_mug.gif note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]