Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,336 Gold!

I received a few emails today about "Star of the County" down being requested and played 5 times in a row!! Apparently this occurred today and I was able to track down the exact time and the artists of the songs that were requested.

Now I don't mind hearing back to back versions of the same song by different artists once in a while, but 5 times is a little much.

For the time being I have change the request policy to allow 2 songs every 90 minutes to prevent this from happening again. This is just on a temporary basis. We are working on a change to the request system that will be tied to your CelticRadio.net member account. The changes we are making will allow members to have more requests.

I'm sorry for this change and I hope it is not to restrictive, but understand it is just temporary.

Thanks for your patience!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
silverdragon 
Posted: 25-May-2004, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

Yeah, the hole that allows the same title to be requested multiple times in a row if by different artists can get to be a bit much. Are you going to try to parse the titles (could be difficult, as the same tune shows up sometimes under different titles) ?

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail Poster                
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 25-May-2004, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Does this mean I've been a bad kid when I request Barrett's Privateers and Garnet's Homemade Beer back to back? angel_not.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 25-May-2004, 06:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,336 Gold!

Yes, I think some parsing for exact titles will be good, but then again, like you said, it may not work all the time.

It would be nice to have different request policies for different times of the day. Maybe less requests during heavy usage and more requests during the lighter even hours.

PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
talleyrand 
Posted: 25-May-2004, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

While I wasn't the guilty party today, I have done that with some songs. I'm blanking on what it was but it was a traditional song so there were plenty of artists to chose from. I picked five of the available 10 or so and I liked it because I was able to hear different interpretations on the same song. What struck me in one place sounded different in another. Just my $.02.

As for an automated solution, you could probably just take advantage of the queue system you already have in place and make a rating system on name matching. If it's an identical match, kick it out. If need be, you can go with double metaphone match if you observe that the songs have a phonetic match but not an exact spelling. Other things we use at work for finding duplicates are an N-Gram and token matching algorithm. I supect there are PHP libraries for it. If not, I know there are Perl libraries because I was looking for an implementation on the N-Gram piece beyond the heady Comp Sci papers we found. We ended implementing ours in Transact SQL (no, it's not particularly efficient) and it's helped us catch some duplicates the phoentic match alone wouldn't catch.

Another solution would be to make a dependency relationship between songs. We know we can't have two songs in X time frame or song count that have the same Artist. It's simply a matter of rolling up the same songs to appear as the same artist. We do a similar thing as well. Sometimes they want to search on acres of sorghum, sometimes milo, sometimes sudan, sometimes silage. The problem is the data may or may not have acres of Sorghum specified, just acres of silage so we have to be able to tell what the relationship is between a parent and a child. Sounds like the same thing could apply here between songs. The general name would be "Fields of Athenry" and then you set all known implementations of it as a child. It's not bad really.

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 25-May-2004, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,336 Gold!

Thanks for the suggestions!! I need them, my brain is mush tonight trying to figure out how to get the last line of a flat file. I'm hoping to tackle the request system maybe this weekend, if not next week.

Oh, and by no means am I trying to single anyone out. Heck, I have even setup 3 of the same songs to play in a roll, so I am just as guilty. Plus there is nothing anywhere saying "don't request 5 of the same songs in a row!"

Hopefully with the new system members will be able to request more songs than they can today. So more details will be coming soon.

talleyrand 
Posted: 25-May-2004, 10:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

QUOTE (Macfive @ May 25 2004, 09:42 PM)
my brain is mush tonight trying to figure out how to get the last line of a flat file.

You're on a unix/linux box, yes? tail is the utility you'd like. tail -1 myfile.txt will print the last line of myfile.txt There ought to be a switch that I'm not seeing at the moment to have it continually pole the file if you're watching a rapidly changing log file.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Raven 
Posted: 25-May-2004, 10:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Paul were you aware that you have duplecates of Emerald Rose songs in your library. I guess it doesn't matter if you have space to burn tongue.gif

But I went to request them and noticed at least several dupes, as if you might have put them in once forgot and then put them in again.

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (talleyrand @ May 25 2004, 11:34 PM)
You're on a unix/linux box, yes? tail is the utility you'd like. tail -1 myfile.txt will print the last line of myfile.txt There ought to be a switch that I'm not seeing at the moment to have it continually pole the file if you're watching a rapidly changing log file.

You're thinking tail -f wink.gif

Yes, I think something to prevent the same song being played more than twice in a row would be good. Would probably be easy enough to adapt the artist code for it. I don't think it would need to be great though. Something that matched for exact title would pbly be good enough. What are the odds of several of the exact same spelling of the exact same song will be selected? Possible, sure, but I'd think the odds would be enough so it wouldn't get on anyone's nerves when it happens. Might want to leave the possibility of a double-play open though wink.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
dundee 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

well i personally hate waiting everytime i request a song i get that lil notice that says it has recently played.... frusty.gif then trying as much as two hours later and it still give me the same message. i understand the problems with hearing the same song again and again and again and again et al........ or say you want to hear a song by say runrig..... but unfortunately someone else has just requested another one by runrig...... paul i don't envy the decisions you have to make...... but just set it up so i can request anything i want when ever i want no matter if it has played recently or not and in return ....... *holding right hand in the air*...... i promise not to abuse it..... biggrin.gif

ps.... thanks for your work paul......... just trying to get my posts up

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
reddrake79 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: oregon

male

One of the nice things today 5/26/04, at least partly because of the request limit, has been a more varied selection of music thorughout the day. I've heard lots of different songs and styles today, either becuase people or choosing different stuff or because there is more random songs being played, i'm not sure which is more responsible.

--------------------
Friendship, Love, and Loyalty
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 09:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,269 Gold!

I have to agree with Dundee. It's frustrating when I want to request a particular song but can't because someone else just requested a different song by the same artist. I'd rather hear two different songs by the same artist relatively close together than two or more versions of the same song back to back. Perhaps you could accept requests by the same artist closer together but put the last one "in hold" and then insert it in the queue when x number (ten?) of songs have intervened.

By the way, not complaining. You do a heck of a lot of work and please a lot of people, including me. thumbs_up.gif As far as I'm concerned, this is about the only station worth listening to (though occasionally I tune to an "oldies" station to relive my long lost youth rolleyes.gif )

TheCarolinaScotsman

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 27-May-2004, 07:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,336 Gold!

Ok, will try to respond to a number of great suggestions and comments here:

On our request pages, you may notice double listings of certain artists/songs. The reason for this is because that song is in our "heavy rotation" genre which means it will play more often than other songs. These are our signature songs. Songs that we feel really define our broadcast and theme. Once we begin work on our broadcast we will fix this issue. We just have not had the time to sit down and learn all of the broadcast software features yet.

On the time limit for requesting the same artist. I think we can ease up on that restriction. I will pay a visit to the server room and change it to be a bit more liberal.

Hopefully once we begin programming the requests to be tied to your member account, things will be alot clearer on requests.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 28-May-2004, 02:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I think it'd be great to have requests able to be requested on the spot, and then if it violated recently played rules, then hold off and play it after a few more songs have passed smile.gif Would be great!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 29-May-2004, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
223,336 Gold!

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ 28-May-2004, 04:21 AM)
I think it'd be great to have requests able to be requested on the spot, and then if it violated recently played rules, then hold off and play it after a few more songs have passed smile.gif Would be great!

I think once we start on the new request system we will try and use some of these idea.

Basically, we will have 2 request systems. One that everyone has access to and one that is specific for your membership. I am thinking that this might include different types of request. So maybe on a daily basis you might be able to make 2-3 requests that play immediately, some that play delayed and some that are delayed. This will give the most possible requests to our members.

Well, all in theory now to be worked out later............
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]