Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 24-Oct-2008, 09:27 AM)
HEY; HOW ABOUT SOME PEPSI.

Camac cheers.gif pepsi.gif pepsi.gif pepsi.gif

That has been my drink of choice for many years. I hope drinking scotch is like riding a bicycle in that the skill never leaves you.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Patch;

From what I've been told in know time at all you'll falling down all over the place just like when you learned to ride a bike. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Patch 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 24-Oct-2008, 09:40 AM)
Patch;

From what I've been told in know time at all you'll falling down all over the place just like when you learned to ride a bike. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

That is not all bad! Just depends on where you fall down. It should always be in good company.

I just got Zogby's Electoral College poll for today and It gives Obama 273 votes, McCain 174 votes and there are 91 undecided votes. Since, I believe, that leaves Obama short just a few votes (unless the polls are wrong and they could be this year) McCain can not win. If Obama gains no more votes, it will be decided in the new House of Representatives. In January "09".

WHAT A YEAR!!!!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 08:01 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Patch;

Please explain decided in the House of Representatives???????

Camac

Patch 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 24-Oct-2008, 10:01 AM)
Patch;

Camac

If neither candidate gets the required number of electoral college votes, then the incoming House of representatives vote to determine the winner. It would be based on which party controls the house as to who wins the presidency. The actual popular vote means nothing. The EC voters are not bound to vote as their state did, though they usually do. Sort of screwed up isn't it?

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 24-Oct-2008, 09:59 AM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 24-Oct-2008, 10:01 AM)
Patch;

Camac

If neither candidate gets the required number of electoral college votes, then the incoming House of representatives vote to determine the winner. It would be based on whic party controls the ouse as to who wins the presidency. The actual popular vote means nothing. The EC voters are not bound to vote as their state did, though they usually do. Sort of screwed up isn't it?

Slàinte,    

Patch    

You’re to fast foe me Patch.

Dave; I’m not positive about this myself, but I believe Patch is referring the Electoral College. Where the will of the people can be overturned by a vote of our representatives
It’s the difference between a “true” democracy, and a Democratic Republic, or in other words. A way for those in power to stay in power, somewhat absurd, isn’t it?
JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Patch & JC;

So basically what you are saying is that the popular vote (will of the people) doesn't mean a thing. Your Electorial College I know about but this House thing threw me. Up here like you we have Party Conventions in which a Leader is chosen by delegates sent from each Riding (District). Each Riding represents a seat in Parliament. An Election is called and the Party that gets the Majority of Seats forms the Government and the Leader of that Party is Prime Minister but can only sit in Parliament if he won his seat. The same goes for Ministers. They must be elected to Parliament. Now if there is no Majority the Party with the highest number of seats forms a Minority Government (Actually its good for the country as everyone has to co-operate) If the Minority Government is defeated in a no-confidence vote the Prime Minister asks the Govenor General to disolve Parliament and call an Election. The GC also has the options of asking the Party with the next highest amount of seats if it can form a coalition and Govern. If not its back to the polls. So as you can see the Popular Vote means everything in our Elections.

Camac.

PS The last Minority Government before our Election was the most rancourous in History. It was open Warfare in Parliament.

Patch 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I apologize for all the missing letter "h's." I got a new keyboard and something is wrong with the "h."

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,633 Gold!

The electoral college was originally a compromise solution that served two purposes. First, and of lesser importance, was to insulate the election of the president from the passions of public opinion which could be easily swayed. Secondly was to prevent the larger and more populous states from being too powerful. The system chosen was meant to give smaller states an equal voice in the elections.

The electoral college itself is made up of a number of electors equal to the number of senators and representatives of the various states. (Washington DC was later given electors equal to the number of electors of the smallest state). Currently, there are 538 eledtors, 270 needed to win. The electors may not be members of congress nor any national office holder (whether elected or appointed). The election is actually to choose the electors to represent a state (each elector being pledged to a particular candidate). The electoral college then meets later (now, sometime in December; the date used for elections has changed a few times over the last two hundred plus years) and officially elects the president.

It is possible for someone to not have a majority of the popular vote and yet win a majority of electorial college votes. This has happened three times: Rutherford Hayes in 1876, Benjamin Harrison in 1888 and George Bush in 2000.

Originally, the vote was for president only and the runner up was selected as vice president, but each elector had two votes for president. In the election of 1800, the election was tied between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr. The elction then went to the house where the vote was tied thirty times, finally , Jefferson was selected as president and Burr as vice president. After that, the system used today of electing a presidential/vice presidential ticket was enacted.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Ok, at 270 by Zogby's polling numbers, Obama has enough votes now. For some reason the number 276 stuck in my mind. Thanks

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
John Clements 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (TheCarolinaScotsman @ 24-Oct-2008, 11:16 AM)
The electoral college was originally a compromise solution that served two purposes.  First, and of lesser importance, was to insulate the election of the president from the passions of public opinion which could be easily swayed.  Secondly was to prevent the larger and more populous states from being too powerful.  The system chosen was meant to give smaller states an equal voice in the elections.

The electoral college itself is made up of a number of electors equal to the number of senators and representatives of the various states.  (Washington DC was later given electors equal to the number of electors of the smallest state). Currently, there are 538 eledtors, 270 needed to win.  The electors may not be members of congress nor any national office holder (whether elected or appointed).  The election is actually to choose the electors to represent a state (each elector being pledged to a particular candidate).  The electoral college then meets later (now, sometime in December; the date used for elections has changed a few times over the last two hundred plus years) and officially elects the president. 

It is possible for someone to not have a majority of the popular vote and yet win a majority of electorial college votes.  This has happened three times: Rutherford Hayes in 1876, Benjamin Harrison in 1888 and George Bush in 2000.

Originally, the vote was for president only and the runner up was selected as vice president, but each elector had two votes for president.  In the election of 1800, the election was tied between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr.  The elction then went to the house where the vote was tied thirty times, finally , Jefferson was selected as president and Burr as vice president.  After that, the system used today of electing a presidential/vice presidential ticket was enacted.

Looks like I’ll be going without dinner tonight. The way things are going these days, I might as well get used to it.

Carolina;
Thanks for ironing it out.

Patch;
You needn’t apologies for missed placed letters, least of all to me, because it’s me that defective, not my keyboard.
JC
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I buy TV dinners that microwave in 5 min. Also, a crock pot is great. I throw whatever I have in it in the AM and at night it is ready. I have raided it for a late lunch already and if you do not mind crunchy vegetables that too works.

I imagine you have gotten the e-mails with the text just a bunch of really mis-spelled words. When you start reading, your mind quickly allows you to pick up enough to read it.

My mind no longer sees the "h" character as missing. Spell check does not always pick up on it either.

I never consider the spelling and grammar in reading posts, only the thoughts conveyed.

There have certainly been some "warm" discussions about the election this year. Probably intensified by the ominous economic reports. I am looking at the Dow dropping into the 7000's at close today. That would be half it's recent high.

Unfortunately neither presidential candidate can fix this. We will have to live through this, or not, based on our situation, condition or preparedness. At the first hint of unrest, I expect Obama will try to take our firearms. McCain will probably take a little longer to do the same thing.

It sure isn't pretty.

Slàinte,  

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 24-Oct-2008, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,633 Gold!

On the McCain side, the question of style versus substance has been answered. Following is an excerpt from the news.

An acclaimed celebrity makeup artist for Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin collected more money from John McCain's campaign than his foreign policy adviser.

Amy Strozzi, who works on the reality show "So You Think You Can Dance" and has been Palin's traveling stylist, was paid $22,800, according to campaign finance reports for the first two weeks in October. In contrast, McCain's foreign policy adviser, Randy Scheunemann, was paid $12,500, the report showed.

It's always a good idea to have a firm grasp on your priorities.

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]