Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are Thoughts As Bad As Deeds?
peckery 
Posted: 01-Jul-2004, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

male

I have heard it said many times that your thoughts destroy you as much as your deeds. I don't want to go down the yellow brick road of psychobabble here, but are we as good as our deeds or as guilty as our deepest thoughts. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
birddog20002001 
Posted: 01-Jul-2004, 08:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

I think no. I feel that yes, one may have bad thoughts; but the controll of those thoughts is what redeems us. For example say this one fellah wants to go out and shoot people, he knows it is wrong but he does it anyways, he kills 16 people including his wife and mother and injures 30. That was Charles Whitman the UT tower sniper if he had been able to controll his self he could have gone on being an above average student and eventually dying of the brain tumor he had, in obscurity. Now I do feel that there are some psychic injuries, but they fade as do physical injuries only leaving mental scars.

This post has been edited by birddog20002001 on 01-Jul-2004, 08:39 PM

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 01-Jul-2004, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Matthew 5:28 says "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 02:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

I believe the same as birddog. We cannot always control our thoughts, but we can control how/if we act upon them.

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 05:49 AM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

ISAIAH 55:8

"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Neither are your ways My ways," declares the Lord.

MATTHEW 15:19

"For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slander."

2 CORINTHIANS 10:5

.......we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.

--------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ![SIZE=7][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

It's not a good thing to think of ill will toward someone. The above biblical quotes come to mind (Perticularly the first one). But sometimes I do have Racist, Sexist, Murderous, or similar thoughts cross my mind. I try not to give characters in these scenes a name. At least without an identity, then it's not against anyone and the bad karma can filter off into oblivion just leaving me feeling bad about even thinking such a thing. I try not to let any of that show, because it's not who I am. I'd rather only myself get hurt, than myself and someone else because of ill thoughts that invade my mind from time to time.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
urian 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

I tend to agree with birddog. We are all human(even sock monkeys) and we are weak. We think impure and bad things sometimes. This can be seen as a test of our strength or a sign of our weakness.
Bad thoughts, impure thoughts, and just plain mean thoughts come and go all the time. It is up to us to push them out of our mind before we dwell on them. It is the dwelling that may lead us down the road to temptation and to acting on whatever that thought might be. And there are the thoughts that we may bring about ourselves. Looking at another member of the opposite sex and thinking things is one example. We can avoid these by removing ourselves from situations where we may tend to think as such. I know that is easier said than done sometimes.
In conclusion , thoughts only destroy us if we allow them to monopolize our time and allow them to become manifest in our actions. In overcoming the thoughts we may have, we all take one step closer to becoming who we need to be.

My ramblings
Urian

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

As far as just the person who thinks a thought is concerned, I would say that I believe that yes, a thought is as bad as a deed, which is why the Bible instructs us to brings every thought under subjection.

However when the thinker involves another person, no. A thought only hurts the person who thinks it. But when you start involving other people then the deed becomes worse than the thought, becuaes it no longer involves just the person who thought it in the first place.

Does that make sense? unsure.gif I'm not the best at expressing my thoughts in writing.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (urian @ 02-Jul-2004, 02:33 PM)
I tend to agree with birddog. We are all human(even sock monkeys) and we are weak.

I think you have really crossed the line here Urian...I mean come on...Sock Monkeys???? tongue.gif

I often wonder just what exactly people are thinking unsure.gif

Peace

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
urian 
Posted: 02-Jul-2004, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

QUOTE (Raven @ 02-Jul-2004, 04:03 PM)
I often wonder just what exactly people are thinking unsure.gif

Peace

Mikel

I don't. It can be a scarey place(the mind) and the mind of others is not a place I care to go. Heck, I get lost just changing trains of thought in my own mind! biggrin.gif

And,in hindsight, I did step over the line. I hope the sockmonkeys of the worl will find it in their hearts to forgive and forget..I'd hate to get stalked by a sock..what was that noise? unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 03-Jul-2004, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

ROFL.....I think the Ninja sock monkeys are after you!
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 04-Jul-2004, 12:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

What do sock monkeys have to do with this conversation? Maintain focus my friends. This isn't about sock monkeys, it's about which is worse between thoughts and actions. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 04-Jul-2004, 04:49 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Thoughts are just as bad as deeds when your wife reads them. Mine is telepathic. biggrin.gif

From a Buddhist perspective, we constantly make causes with our thoughts, our words and our actions. We reap the results of the causes in the effects that come from them. One of the goals of my practice is to try to have SOME control over all three of these.

This post has been edited by maisky on 05-Jul-2004, 04:20 AM

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 24-Jul-2004, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

O'siyo,
My opinion only of course smile.gif ..No, I do not believe that my thoughts are as bad as an actual deed~ A thought, if mine, is just that..my thought and my thought does not harm nor affect others unless I act upon it hence it becoming a deed~~ If that thought is of evil or wrong intention and I end up 'acting' out that deed well, I must pay the consequences~ No one caused me to commit a bad deed just as no one is responsible for me having a 'bad' thought..
As far as someone looking at another person, same or opposite sex, and 'thinking' to themself how attractive that person is, do I think that is wrong? NO..we are human and to admire others, I believe, is natural~I have great admiration for others in many ways and if I see a nice looking man and think 'wow, I really would like to meet him' or 'wow, he has a nice butt' then I don't think I am going to be 'damned' for that thought nor do I feel I have done anything wrong~
I don't believe a thought, good or bad, is anything like an actual good or bad deed~ cool.gif When it comes right down to it, the one having the thought, good or bad, is the only one with the power to keep it as a thought or act upon it~ To me there is a big difference~
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
Wolverine 
  Posted: 09-Sep-2004, 06:01 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Hilversum

male

Look, I don't hope that having bad thoughts is thought the same...
My god, there would not be many who would not have sinned.
The next step would be to arrest everyone having a bad thought.

Reminds me of a startrek episode.
Thats what actually happend in that episode.

Now there is however a difference between bad thoughts and wishing something bad happens to someone.
The latter is I think a wee bit worse...If not much worse.

But I also believe in what you do, will come back times 3.

--------------------
What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet -William Shakespeare

Support the right to arm bears
PMEmail Poster                
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]